• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    IMG_02711.jpg

Back in the 80s, my dad decided to get into deer hunting. He purchased this Remington 1100, as well as a black powder and bolt action rifle.

He went hunting on a number of occasions, but over the seven years that he went hunting, he never successfully shot a deer. He did, however, roadkill several, including one on the way home from an unsuccessful hunting trip.

A while ago, he gave me his old deer hunting arms. I've been meaning to do some work on them, but hadn't gotten around to it until recently.

IMG_02681.jpg

He wasn't very meticulous about maintenance or storage. For now, I'm happy with a thorough cleaning and some touch up, but down the road I'd like to get the shotgun refinished.

IMG_02731.jpg

Halfway through disassembly. I also ended up removing the trigger group. Everything got cleaned, and relevant parts got oiled. o ring needed replacement as well.

IMG_02771.jpg

Post-cleaning, with new magazine extension and synthetic furniture. Prior to beginning the renovations, I was convinced I'd prefer the shotgun with all black furniture. I've never previously been a fan of wood furniture; too "wild west" for me. After I had attached the mag extension though, I really liked the way it looked with wood. I still can't decide. Opinions?

Coffee

Jan 12, 2009
    Odenton
    Wood. I would have left it the exact way it was when your father gave it to you.

I thought about this too. I'll likely keep the mag extension regardless, but I am leaning strongly toward the original wood.

Well...and a side saddle. At some point, my dad had replaced the takedown pins so that he could mount a scope. The scope pins are loose and prone to fall out. I imagine attaching a side saddle would give em something to keep them in place.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Even if not keeping it in it's configuration in a tribute to your father, wood just looks right. And it doesn't need refinishing.

ke3gk

HAM from U.N.C.L.E.
    Aug 27, 2007
    Glen Burnie
    I like the black furniture - I would have kept the wood if both pieces matched - but the colors look different, like one piece was replaced.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Depends on what you want to do with it. If it's going to be out in the weather alot or banged around leave the black but if not that gun was meant to be wood. If you leave it black, keep the wood furniture for the future.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I thought about this too. I'll likely keep the mag extension regardless, but I am leaning strongly toward the original wood.

Well...and a side saddle. At some point, my dad had replaced the takedown pins so that he could mount a scope. The scope pins are loose and prone to fall out. I imagine attaching a side saddle would give em something to keep them in place.

You can order new pins from Remington. And swap the stocks every once in a while to fool the wife so when you get a second one she doesn't realize it's a different shotgun :innocent0

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom