• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    I am a little conflicted on which way to go for an optic on a 45/70. Any comments pro or con on each to help me decide? right now I do not plan to set this up as a scout rifle, that configuration still seems a little foreign to me.

I don't think either is a wrong decision. I am probably 60/40 in favor of the 2-7 variable but can see advantages to both.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    If you are taking it hunting, fixed is probably the way to go whether it is 4X or higher.

steveh326

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2012
    Mt. Airy
    If you are taking it hunting, fixed is probably the way to go whether it is 4X or higher.

yeah I don't think it will make a pleasant range toy. will set it up for hunting. Most likely hogs for first outing, maybe into the deer woods depending on how I like it.

I do plan to use see-thru scope mounts so I can still use the iron sights. I think a lot of people don't care for these, but my 336 has been setup like this from day 1 and it is hands down my favorite rifle so I plan to replicate that setup. I am using a 3-9 on my 336 but not sure 9 is necessary on the 45/70.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    yeah I don't think it will make a pleasant range toy. will set it up for hunting. Most likely hogs for first outing, maybe into the deer woods depending on how I like it.

I do plan to use see-thru scope mounts so I can still use the iron sights. I think a lot of people don't care for these, but my 336 has been setup like this from day 1 and it is hands down my favorite rifle so I plan to replicate that setup. I am using a 3-9 on my 336 but not sure 9 is necessary on the 45/70.

I was going to add something about backup sights especially if it's for dangerous game in low light conditions.

Uncle Duke

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 2, 2013
    Not Far Enough from the City
    decided to try a Weaver 2.5-7x32. Seems like a good, basic, fairly bullet proof scope. Leupold and Vortex were both in the running but in the end I decided to give the Weaver a try.

Large targets, typically short ranges, maybe quick shots, definitely a hammer of a chambering. You may never need 7x, but it's there if you want it. 95% of the time on 2.5x, with nod to field of view and light transmission, knowing you'll likely have all the time you'd need to dial it up if desired. That's how that game works. Sounds like a good choice of a hunting scope mag to me.

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    decided to try a Weaver 2.5-7x32. Seems like a good, basic, fairly bullet proof scope. Leupold and Vortex were both in the running but in the end I decided to give the Weaver a try.

I purchased that exact same scope a couple of months ago for my Mini-14. It works very well for me. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom