• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    I'm not sure if this the right spot for this but I couldn't find any where else.

Been looking at buying a Semi-Auto .22LR (primarily a Marlin 795 but also 10/22) and started looking at some used ones. Two separate ads for 795s and one for a 10/22 said they would meet at FFL or MSP barracks for transfer and background check.

Am I missing something or are they getting confused? It was my understanding that face to face non-regulated rifle transactions between Maryland residents didn't involve any transfer. I feel like going into a gun shop or the barracks and asking to transfer a .22 will get you some weird looks. Thanks

Doobie

Ultimate Member
    Jan 23, 2013
    Earth
    You are correct as long as the buyer and seller are both Maryland residents and the buyer is not prohibited in anyway from owning a firearm. If I were the seller, I would have a bill of sell for you and one for me with make, model, serial number of firearm, your full name, address, telephone number, and driver's license. I would also look you up in Maryland case search. If I had an uneasy feeling about you or you refused to provide the info I asked for, no sale.

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter
    Doobie is correct in his response.... I have done some FTF sales where the seller wanted to meet in a public place or police station parking lot, because of personal security issues.... after all, they don't know you and you don't know them. Lots of folks have been robbed when doing Craig's List type deals. If you aren't sure what the seller's intention is; it might be worth a communication to clarify.

Cheers.

You are correct as long as the buyer and seller are both Maryland residents and the buyer is not prohibited in anyway from owning a firearm. If I were the seller, I would have a bill of sell for you and one for me with make, model, serial number of firearm, your full name, address, telephone number, and driver's license. I would also look you up in Maryland case search. If I had an uneasy feeling about you or you refused to provide the info I asked for, no sale.

When I'm selling, I require the buyer to bring a photocopy of their driver's license and I will do the same. We then hand write the make, model and serial number and that they/I are legally allowed to perform the transaction and we both sign the papers.
    Anyone not willing to do this doesn't get to deal with me.
    Perfectly legal and we both have a paper trail just in case.

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    A bill of sale and asking for that kind of info makes sense. They are asking for an actual transfer at an FFL though which I didn't even think you could do for a non-regulated rifle.
    Doobie is correct in his response.... I have done some FTF sales where the seller wanted to meet in a public place or police station parking lot, because of personal security issues.... after all, they don't know you and you don't know them. Lots of folks have been robbed when doing Craig's List type deals. If you aren't sure what the seller's intention is; it might be worth a communication to clarify.

Cheers.
    Yeah I will try to contact them and see. Looking at the ads again it seems they don't have the best grammar skills, so it could be a scam.

When I'm selling, I require the buyer to bring a photocopy of their driver's license and I will do the same. We then hand write the make, model and serial number and that they/I are legally allowed to perform the transaction and we both sign the papers.
    Anyone not willing to do this doesn't get to deal with me.
    Perfectly legal and we both have a paper trail just in case.
    This also is sensible to me, but there isn't an actual "transfer" that can be done correct?

Here are two of the ads, looking at them again now the one for the 10/22 seems like a scam.

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7821474/maryland-rifles-for-sale--new-ruger-10-22-carbine

http://www.armslist.com/posts/7872575/maryland-rifles-for-sale--marlin-795

eruby

Confederate Jew
    MDS Supporter
    I'm not sure if this the right spot for this but I couldn't find any where else.

Been looking at buying a Semi-Auto .22LR (primarily a Marlin 795 but also 10/22) and started looking at some used ones. Two separate ads for 795s and one for a 10/22 said they would meet at FFL or MSP barracks for transfer and background check.

Am I missing something or are they getting confused? It was my understanding that face to face non-regulated rifle transactions between Maryland residents didn't involve any transfer. I feel like going into a gun shop or the barracks and asking to transfer a .22 will get you some weird looks. Thanks
    Where did you see these ads?

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    The seller of the 795 said transfer at United Guns is included in the selling price.
    That is a very fair price and he is covering his ass from future liability. I'm happy with a bill of sale, but his gun, his rules.
    I agree it is a good price, though is a transfer at United even something that can happen? I thought a 4473 was only for new guns? I am really just curious at this point if I am missing something in the law or the seller is uninformed. I don't have a problem with going that route (especially since he said he would pay for it) but I don't really want to drive all the way down there and the guy to refuse to sell it because United won't do what he thinks they should.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    A 4473 can be used for new and used transfers. From the looks of it, while the seller could do a f2f transfer, they just want a more extensive cya. I've seen transfers happen both ways. Some people just feel more comfortable having a ffl handle everything. It gives them the peace of mind.

As it was said before, sellers gun, sellers rules but even if you get the transfer done at an FFL, I would ensure that you get a bill of sale.

MGMTF

Sep 21, 2016
    Bel Air, MD
    A 4473 can be used for new and used transfers. From the looks of it, while the seller could do a f2f transfer, they just want a more extensive cya. I've seen transfers happen both ways. Some people just feel more comfortable having a ffl handle everything. It gives them the peace of mind.

As it was said before, sellers gun, sellers rules but even if you get the transfer done at an FFL, I would ensure that you get a bill of sale.
    Okay thank you. This is really what I was trying to figure out, was it even possible. Good to know someone else has done it in the past.

putneyswope

Dismember
    Aug 7, 2010
    I agree it is a good price, though is a transfer at United even something that can happen? I thought a 4473 was only for new guns? I am really just curious at this point if I am missing something in the law or the seller is uninformed. I don't have a problem with going that route (especially since he said he would pay for it) but I don't really want to drive all the way down there and the guy to refuse to sell it because United won't do what he thinks they should.

The seller is technically right in that any shop can do a transfer for you. What they neglect to take into consideration is that said shop will log the non-regulated gun into their bound books and then sell it to the buyer with a 4473 NICS check. All this will be done in exchange for a transfer fee, much like any other gun being shipped into said shop except being hand delivered by the seller. Enjoy that additional $40-$80 fee on top of the asking price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom