What Should A 1896 Krag-Jorgensen Cost Me?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    My Dad had a Model 1896 Krag-Jorgensen when I was a boy, long time ago. He traded that in to buy a Remington 600 in .222 to use on groundhogs but I always liked the Krag. So my question is what should I expect to pay for a .30-40 Krag, I want a shooter in sound condition because guns are meant to be used?

Thanks in advance for the advise.

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Rifle or carbine?

When you say "a shooter" you expect "to be used", are you saying you don't care about bluing or wood condition as long as it's sound? Would you accept a bubba'a rifle?

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    1200 should get you a nice Krag rifle with some digging, its real hard to find something on a Krag that has everything, like shiny bore, correct sight handgaurd configuration and inspector car-touche or stock without cracks in the wrist or duffle cut for-end but they are out there. If it has a lower band without a band spring or has been D&Td it could be a cut down rifle which is worth not much more than the sum of its parts. US Krags are tricky because of the many arsenal mods and if you want as issued alot of investigation is in order. Some thing else to consider is ammo availability, seasonal runs on brass and two dollars a round when you can find it. Many have been non arsenal modified because of their popularity and can be found relatively reasonably priced, some with decent aperture peep sights. For a shooter that may suffice. Anything in its original form is pretty much a collector piece these days and tough to break out on.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Rifle or carbine?

When you say "a shooter" you expect "to be used", are you saying you don't care about bluing or wood condition as long as it's sound? Would you accept a bubba'a rifle?

When I say a shooter I mean something I can take to the vintage rifle matches at the club and not be ashamed so that leaves Bubba out. As far as the fine details go they are not so important as long as it looks like a Krag, and works like a Krag I would be reasonably happy. I reload so ammo is not a major problem.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    A lot of deals are rifles with the chamber reamed to fire blanks. Some have washed barrels when cupro nickel fouling is cleaned out from what would ordinarily look ok. Find one with 1902 sights that are windage adjustable. Form brass from .303 Brit for plinking and getting your Dope. Have fun!

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    When I say a shooter I mean something I can take to the vintage rifle matches at the club and not be ashamed so that leaves Bubba out. As far as the fine details go they are not so important as long as it looks like a Krag, and works like a Krag I would be reasonably happy. I reload so ammo is not a major problem.

I'd say you are looking starting in the $800 range from what you've described.

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Thanks for the reply's. It looks like I need to do some more studying so I know just what to look out for and then start looking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom