• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hyper-W

Ultimate Member
    Apr 24, 2010
    Cooksville
    Twice as much feed line is double the loss, IF both feed lines are the same.

That is a 3 dB reduction in output right there.

If different quality of feed line, that could be another 3 dB or more.

Which is why I pointed out the difference in feedline lengths.

The JPole is a 2.5dBi gain from what I understand. The mobile antenna that I was using is 3.8dBi on 2m and 6.2dBi on 70cm. I still believe that the mobile will perform better but as I mentioned before, I haven't done a true test.

Weak_Hand_Only

Mar 17, 2010
    The J-pole is a good antenna, I'm not familiar with Ed Fong's antennas. I've known some people who've used the Arrow antenna that is a J-pole design and were very happy with it. Of course you can build your own J-pole using copper pipe or wire. There are many plans for them on the net.

I can vouch for the Arrow 2m/70cm jpole. It was about $70 and was very easy to assemble. Being a new ham the problem I encountered with building your own was making sure everything was PERFECTLY cut. I didn't want to have to worry about tuning it after it was built so I went for the Arrow. From South Towson I can reach Salisbury to the East, York PA to the North, Greenbelt to the South and Boonsboro to the West. It's mounted pretty high and fortunately my elevation in Towson is higher than most around. I do have to crank the power up to reach Salisbury though.

My HT is connected to a home made 1/4 wavelength ground plane that's in the attic. Drilled a hole in the roof of my bedroom closet and ran an 18' rg58 coax to my nightstand where the HT sits. With the 5W from the HT I can reach Westminster and the Curtis Bay repeaters comfortably.

NY Transplant

Wabbit Season/Duck Season
    Apr 2, 2010
    Westminster, MD
    Look into a "Passive Repeater". I talked to a guy one day (can't remember who or when) that had a similar problem. He put an antenna up outside and connected the other end of the feedline to another antenna that was indoors. The principle is that when he keys the HT that the indoor antenna picks up the signal which gets carried (albeit with a TON of loss) up to the other antenna. My disclaimer is that I've never tried it and cannot vouch for the effectiveness.

All of my antennas are in my attic. They work fine. As for J-Poles - HAMs in general seem to love them. I don't get the attraction. I was operating for a public service event one day and had two antennas up on masts. A J-Pole 16 feet up with 100' of feedline and a mobile with a ground plane kit about 11 feet up with 50' of feedline. I couldn't pick up or key a repeater on the JPole but the mobile worked fine (with about an S7). I didn't swap feedlines, so it isn't a definitive test. All I know is that I found the mobile with the ground plane kit to be WAY more effective. It's possible that I'm missing something or I just don't get it.

Hope this helps!

Twice as much feed line is double the loss, IF both feed lines are the same.

That is a 3 dB reduction in output right there.

If different quality of feed line, that could be another 3 dB or more.

Which is why I pointed out the difference in feedline lengths.

The JPole is a 2.5dBi gain from what I understand. The mobile antenna that I was using is 3.8dBi on 2m and 6.2dBi on 70cm. I still believe that the mobile will perform better but as I mentioned before, I haven't done a true test.

In general it would not work unless you have a really strong signal to start with. Feedline loss is part of the equation but only a very small part. Since you connect to another antenna that is re-radiating the signal, you also have to account for spreading loss since with an omni-directional antenna you are sending a signal in all directions. One of the reasons you see home and business 50-70 db cellular repeater amplifiers in use.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Actually passive repeaters do work, and can work quite well.

Look into the ARRL antenna books.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    I had originally planned on saving up to get an HF rig later this year. I have now about $550 saved from graduation gifts. I'm seriously considering a 2M/70cm base station for home. I would get a mobile rig to be able to move in the car.

Any suggestions or ideas?

Looks like single band 2M radios are about $150. dual banders about $350 and the high-end about $550.

SigMatt

Ultimate Member
    Mar 17, 2007
    Shores of the Bay, MD
    I had originally planned on saving up to get an HF rig later this year. I have now about $550 saved from graduation gifts. I'm seriously considering a 2M/70cm base station for home. I would get a mobile rig to be able to move in the car.

Looks like single band 2M radios are about $150. dual banders about $350 and the high-end about $550.

Honestly? Save a bit more and get a Yaesu FT-817. Then you'll get everything in a single package and get you on the air immediately at 2M and 70cm without much trouble. Then you can add features and an HF antenna as you save more.

It'll be cheaper in the long run over separate radios if you're on a budget and you can always scale it up with amplifiers, meters, antennas, mikes, headsets, digital interfaces and the like. And the rig goes mobile/portable out of the box. Mine fits into a shoulder bag and even with a portable HF antenna, computer, solar panels and field gear, I can fit the entire rig into a small backpack and operate all modes and most bands anywhere. I don't have 80M and 160M capability due to the antenna lengths required but that is inexpensive to fix ($50) if I need that ability in the field.

I have an Icom HF base station and bought the Yaesu to give me VHF capability as well as HF portable operation. Takes some getting used to due to the small size and menus but I've gotten on-the-air with it sitting on my desk with 5 watts of power and the included antenna.

Something to consider.

Matt

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county

If you want a mobile rig, the higher end models today usually have some form of digital built into them Yaesu's Fusion, D-Star, are the big two right now, or they have or they support the Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS).

If you want one of those and your local repeaters support one of them (the digital formats, Fusion, D-Star, etc.) that might be something to consider.

If you're going to run this as a base rig right now then you are going to need a power supply and an antenna. Depending on what you want, this might push your budget for a dual bander right up to the limits of your budget.

Going mobile if you want to remote the radio control head you should check to see if the remote kit is included or not. Buying one might set you back even more.

Personally, I'd recommend you stick with Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood. Chicom companies have entered the mobile market but I've heard of people having problems with them. I also know of people who've had trouble with Alinco radios.

Last edited:

Baccusboy

Teecha, teecha
    Oct 10, 2010
    Seoul
    I really want a 2m/70cm rig. Big problem is... just not enough people in Seoul, or Korea, for me to talk to. I cannot justify spending on such a rig, when I could be saving toward a better radio or antenna.

I have a Baofeng HT that has helped me hit two repeaters that have most of the English speakers on, anyway.

I have used Echolink a bit. It was fun. Used it on the smartphone and computer... sort of a bastardization of radio, however. :(

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    If you want a mobile rig, the higher end models today usually have some form of digital built into them Yaesu's Fusion, D-Star, are the big two right now, or they have or they support the Automatic Packet Reporting System (APRS).

If you want one of those and your local repeaters support one of them (the digital formats, Fusion, D-Star, etc.) that might be something to consider.

If you're going to run this as a base rig right now then you are going to need a power supply and an antenna. Depending on what you want, this might push your budget for a dual bander right up to the limits of your budget.

Going mobile if you want to remote the radio control head you should check to see if the remote kit is included or not. Buying one might set you back even more.

Personally, I'd recommend you stick with Yaesu, Icom or Kenwood. Chicom companies have entered the mobile market but I've heard of people having problems with them. I also know of people who've had trouble with Alinco radios.

Thanks for the response. You gave me a lot to think about.

Right now the ARPS and digital formats are not something I am interested in. What I am interested in are:

* local 2m/70cm talk.
    * x-band repeat (for my HT)

(nice to have)
    * would love to get into satellites
    * packet radio.

the FT-8800R does all of these. Right now on sale at HRO for $300. I would only need a power supply, so another $100.

Am I missing anything?

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    Thanks for the response. You gave me a lot to think about.

Right now the ARPS and digital formats are not something I am interested in. What I am interested in are:

* local 2m/70cm talk.
    * x-band repeat (for my HT)

(nice to have)
    * would love to get into satellites
    * packet radio.

the FT-8800R does all of these. Right now on sale at HRO for $300. I would only need a power supply, so another $100.

Am I missing anything?

If you want to use it as a base radio, you'll need an external antenna and coax to go between that and the radio. Also an antenna mount. If it's truly external (not in the attic) you'll also need a lightning arrestor. You'll need a ground rod and ground wire. You'll also need a way to get the coax through the wall if you mount it outside such a feed throughs.

Examples (there are a lot of other methods):

http://www.americanradiosupply.com/comet-ctc-50m-flat-window-door-feed-thru-coaxial-cable-so-239/

http://www.americanradiosupply.com/10-inch-uhf-female-so-239-bulkhead-coaxial-connector/

You'll probably want a ground bar as well to ground the radio, and P/S at min. to a common ground that leads outside to your ground rod. I saw a great one made out of a length of copper pipe.

You'll also need connectors and tools if you are not going to buy your coax already pre-cut and terminated. Local club members can help you with this and a lot more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom