• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunbunny

Int'l Rabies Liaison
    Apr 2, 2013
    So, let's say I got a new job that actually pays me enough to buy a new gun. And let's say that the Remington I have used for all of my previous 3 gun matches has NEVER made it through a single match unscathed - between broken action bars, blown mag springs at exactly the wrong time, and my own tendency to fail to properly seat the damn thing while adrenalized- leading to failures to cycle/one time the thing got so stuck I nearly DQ'd because I couldn't safe the firearm to abandon it and move on...I'm FED UP. I treat my guns well, they're cared for and cleaned, maybe I'm cursed, or this gun is.

I've run a few rounds through borrowed shotguns of various manufacture and levels of smithing work - I've tried Benelli, FN, Mossberg, and Stoeger. None of them were terrible, none were AMAZING OMG MUST HAVE IT.

What shotgun do you like for 3-gun, and how much after-purchase smithing/tweaking am I going to have to have done to make it run smooth, given that I usually put at least one or two rounds through it before I remember to slow the eff down and lean into it? Assume that while I will pay for a good gun, I'm not independently wealthy.

Also, possibly relevant useful information, I can double load shells, I can't quad load.

YerNotGood

May 30, 2013
    Baltimore
    People really seem to like the Benelli M2. I think Benelli Performance Shop makes a 3-gun M2 and I know Taran Tactical shooters run their upgraded M2's as well. I would also give the Beretta 1301 Comp a look. The Beretta and Benelli both shoot better than any of the others I have tried/owned. I have a CZ 712 3-Gun G2 and wouldn't really recommend it. It just doesn't run as reliably as the higher tier shotguns. Buy once, cry once, and all that jazz...

EDIT: In response to pricing: A fully upgraded Taran Tactical M2 is ~$4k. That would be the upper limit that a Pro-level shooter would be looking to spend. More realistically, the Benelli Performance Shop M2 with a Nordic extension would run around $2.5k

teqmod

redneck gun toting member
    Jan 14, 2013
    Downey Oshunn
    I recently picked up the Stoeger M3k and hope to try it out this season. I did take it for a trial run to shoot some clays but have not used it in any matches. The reason I went with this is two fold. I was looking at the mossberg originally, both were at about the same price point but the last match I was at three mossbergs were there and all failed at different times. The Stoegers held up with no failures that I have seen. I am not sure of the modifications that were done to either but with a failure rate like that I stayed away. Price point was good as well, only problem was no one seemed to have them locally so I did have to order it. Of course I am entry level and wanted to stay under 750 with mag extensions and any other upgrades, I believe I am at 650 now.

onedash

Ultimate Member
    Feb 24, 2016
    Calvert County
    So, let's say I got a new job that actually pays me enough to buy a new gun. And let's say that the Remington I have used for all of my previous 3 gun matches has NEVER made it through a single match unscathed - between broken action bars, blown mag springs at exactly the wrong time, and my own tendency to fail to properly seat the damn thing while adrenalized- leading to failures to cycle/one time the thing got so stuck I nearly DQ'd because I couldn't safe the firearm to abandon it and move on...I'm FED UP. I treat my guns well, they're cared for and cleaned, maybe I'm cursed, or this gun is.

I've run a few rounds through borrowed shotguns of various manufacture and levels of smithing work - I've tried Benelli, FN, Mossberg, and Stoeger. None of them were terrible, none were AMAZING OMG MUST HAVE IT.

What shotgun do you like for 3-gun, and how much after-purchase smithing/tweaking am I going to have to have done to make it run smooth, given that I usually put at least one or two rounds through it before I remember to slow the eff down and lean into it? Assume that while I will pay for a good gun, I'm not independently wealthy.

Also, possibly relevant useful information, I can double load shells, I can't quad load.

What Remington is failing you? I'm thinking of getting the versamax competition tactical soon. I never did three gun before but want to try it.

Broncolou

Jan 22, 2013
    Parkton MD
    The less finicky gas guns are really nice but its hard to be the newer A5 for 3 gun. The auto load is worth it if you want to be competitive. It allows you to never port load again, no counting, no penalty for running empty. I run a +9 and have a 13 rnd capacity and it gives me tons of options. And you can still use a match saver(match ender) for a single port load the old fashioned way too....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AMH13PfzJ8

https://www.mdshooters.com/showthread.php?t=185045

Viper21773

Jan 17, 2009
    Hagerstown
    Thats a nice A5 Broncolou. Unfortunately I doubt I'll ever get to the point where my "skills" will exceed my M3K's ability. I have a +8 on it with some port work, starting 3rd season at TCSC and its only hiccups were inflicted by me.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I used a Mossberg 930 JMP for the 2 plus years my body allowed me to shoot 3-gun. For the first year I did not clean it at all for the 4 matches I did as I wanted to see what would fail first. It still worked fine though when I did feel guilty and clean it early the next year as I had to practically beat the gas ring off with a chisel. I ran it with an XRing extended mag (12+1 ) most of the time when allowed. If not I took the 2 round extension off and left the long spring in for a max of 9+1. I used a 2 rd. match-saver on the forward receiver but never used more than one round a couple of times.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    my benelli super black eagle 2 has been perfect except when shooting lighter loads, as it is sprung to handle 3 1/2" shells. over the past year i've been running a benelli m2 and it's been 100% perfect. very widely used shottie in 3 gun. highly recommended, at least by me. the other good thing about using a widely used platform is there is a lot of aftermarket stuff for it.

Bikebreath

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 30, 2009
    in the bowels of Baltimore
    I bought a police trade-in Benelli M1 Super 90 for $800. It was well used and that was good, because it cycles everything I run in it.
    It was a smooth bore, so I sent the barrel off to Briley for choke threading, $250.

I’m old and never getting out of the bush league, so I’m as happy as a clam with this old truck. No gas, no cleaning.

Red1917

Apr 13, 2017
    Anne Arundel County
    I shoot a Stoeger M2000 I bought a while ago for 450 with two barrels and a full set of chokes. It has probably close to 7,000 rounds through it with the only part replacement was a ~$10 extractor after about 4000 rounds. I added a flush extension to it from nordic components, and it holds 10+1 which has always been enough. I can double load it pretty easy and it runs like a champ, cant remember the last time I had a malfunction after replacing the extractor. For maybe 550 all in its been a solid gun.

Gunbunny

Int'l Rabies Liaison
    Apr 2, 2013
    What Remington is failing you? I'm thinking of getting the versamax competition tactical soon. I never did three gun before but want to try it.

It's an 1187, so very entry model. a little bit of aftermarket work on it, but not a lot.

1time

Ultimate Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Baltimore, Md
    The A5. Open it up a little with a dremel and put an extension on it and it's perfect. As for not needing one based on skill, the lower your skill level the more you can benefit from better guns. An A5 is a time saver when you run a shotgun dry and you only have to practice shoving rounds into the tube. From a training perspective and from a match perspective, it is more simple to use and master. I would stay away from the mossberg and the versamax. They will eventually cause you problems.

If you want to save money, the M3K or m3000 with some work is a good shotgun. If you plan on staying with this sport though, buy what you really want the first time and it will save you money. I started with an 1100 comp, used an Moss JM Pro, and Fn Slp, and finally settled with the A5.

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    I'm going to point out that just about every big time 3-gunner is running a Benelli M2. Just like all of the big time cowboy shooters are running Winchester 73 clones.

VRC Racing

MDS Supporter
    Feb 16, 2009
    Ijamsville
    I vote for the FNH

-Russ

Attachments

• SLP_Comp_Header.jpg
      SLP_Comp_Header.jpg
      47.3 KB · Views: 348

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts