• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    I been using Federal 147 hydroshocks and Critical Defense. Like Horaday's name so I could say that it was defensive ammo in court. Just bought a torso mold and ballistic gel so I will probably have some fotos this summer

Occam

Not Even ONE Indictment
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 24, 2018
    Montgomery County
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/3/20/review-novx-ammunition/

This idea is interesting. I would like to see some real world usage.

I've shot up two boxes of those, but don't have the ability to replicate their claims in the ballistics gel, etc. I can say: they've fed through all four 9mm shootin' irons I have nicely, they're as accurate as anything else I've got, and they definitely have less felt recoil for all that velocity they render. And: a mag full of them is for sure a LOT lighter than their traditional counterparts. That has a certain appeal when you're carrying full load and a spare in your shorts.

Stoveman

TV Personality
    Patriot Picket
    Sep 2, 2013
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sig is rolling their own now, or at least putting their name on it. I use their 124 gr +P or 147 gr. No problems with feeding in any of the EDC rotation.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    I guess I am the rare bird out. I use Remington Golden Sabre 124gr +P.

Not the bonded. Though if I can track down the bonded I’ll switch. I’ve run a couple of boxes through my G17 and have a couple more boxes on hand (well, two loaded mags and the remains of those two boxes). From what I can find it works well. In heavy clothing or through barriers there is sometimes core seperation, but the jacket usually still penetrates 8+” even when there is jacket and core seperation. It does expand in heavy clothing and barriers.

It isn’t the best of the best, but a lot better than cheap generic JHP. And it is about the lowest cost “more modern” JHP I can find. Which allows me to test more of it and use more of it. I don’t need to shoot a metric ton of it, but I am hoping to be able to run a magazine through my G17 every few months to make sure what I have continues to work fine and the handgun isn’t hiccuping all of the sudden with the defensive load (testing the gun having parts wearing out as much as the ammo on hand).

Since it does seem to run well I’ll probably pickup 6-8 boxes next time I order form SGAmmo if they have it in stock at the time. I don’t need hundreds of rounds other than that periodic testing. Two loaded mags are all I really care about that is my minimum needs if I am reaching for a gun.

As said long ago, my handgun is for fighting to get to my rifle.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Lazarus. I think i saw bonded sabers at target sports very recently. May have been something else but worth the look. Jon a dealer on this board might get a case if he can sell all to one or more buyers. I found the golden sabers the most reliable rds for a G 42. Never failed to load or eject.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/articles/2018/3/20/review-novx-ammunition/

This idea is interesting. I would like to see some real world usage.

a few are making ammo that uses a similar mechanism, it could be the next big thing if it proves itself, which so far IMO hasn't happened..

The Lehigh design seems most promising
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/products/9mm-luger-p-90gr-xtreme-defense-ammunition?variant=4431999236
    It is a similar profile to older sucessful armor piercing designs, and being a copper solid should be a good barrier penetrator if nothing else. The shape channels soft tissue outwards to crush additional tissue without expanding and crushing it directly, while the actual surface area remains small to penetrate harder material. Gel tests are impressive, but haven't seen tests with media similar to soft tissu's tensile strength, and not just similar density.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Lazarus. I think i saw bonded sabers at target sports very recently. May have been something else but worth the look. Jon a dealer on this board might get a case if he can sell all to one or more buyers. I found the golden sabers the most reliable rds for a G 42. Never failed to load or eject.

Yeah, granted it is an 80%, but I finally have my Glock 17 running reliably after having messed up a couple of parts installs and some light work on the barrel hood and slide interface.

Except Winchester’s. For some reason Winchester white box still wants to have 1 in 30 not to fully in to battery and I have to tap the slide to seat it. I’ve run 80 of Remington golden sabres, a box of wolf steel, 150+ of Remington UMC 115gr and maybe 200 federal aluminum case without one hiccup...but 3 failures to fully go in to battery out of 100 rounds of Winchester white box on my most recent range trip...

And I am positive I wasn’t riding the slide or limp wristing it.

Anyway, I’ll grant you other SD ammo might work fine, but I am going with “what I know” and I know golden sabres seem to be running just fine in it. That they seem to be about the cheapest vaguely recent generation SD ammo is a nice perk.

But because of the early reliability issues I won’t feel really comfortable until I am sure it is just the Winchester white box causing problems and run another couple of boxes of the golden sabres without hiccups.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    a few are making ammo that uses a similar mechanism, it could be the next big thing if it proves itself, which so far IMO hasn't happened..

The Lehigh design seems most promising
    https://www.lehighdefense.com/products/9mm-luger-p-90gr-xtreme-defense-ammunition?variant=4431999236
    It is a similar profile to older sucessful armor piercing designs, and being a copper solid should be a good barrier penetrator if nothing else. The shape channels soft tissue outwards to crush additional tissue without expanding and crushing it directly, while the actual surface area remains small to penetrate harder material. Gel tests are impressive, but haven't seen tests with media similar to soft tissu's tensile strength, and not just similar density.
    The physics is sound. It will be interesting to see what happens with it in the future.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    critical duty/defense all the way.

Attachments

• 357.jpg
      357.jpg
      55.9 KB · Views: 131

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    Lazarus. Totally understand why you would stick to what works. I have a G33 for carry and it would fail to load speer gold dots. Sent it back, still failed. Gave up and found that sig v vrown and fed hst worked great ( fired 200 rds of fed with no failures; fewer sig v crowns). Sun i ran the last half of a box of speer GD thru the gun using, this time, a .40 mag from my G27 and no failures in 2 mags. I would like to try more speers but like you, i will stick to what i know works. I don’t believe the fed hst are a disadvantage.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I'm still using HPR Black Ops. Its very impressive in a gel block, but unfortunately they went out of business

ETA; I have a bunch of it and dont get into gun fights very often so I guess I'll be using it for a while :D
    They're great if you need to stop a gel block. LOL :)

Mr.Blue

Living In A Bizarro World
    Nov 21, 2011
    Miserable in MD
    Gold Dot +P. I have +P+ too, but I think it’s overkill, especially with a typical carry gun. With the +P+ follow up shots with a compact or subcompact will be slower. I think you are good with regular power Gold Dots IMHO.

An added benefit is training with Speer Lawman. It’s excellent training ammo and has all the characteristics of the Gold Dot minus the hollow point .

The NYPD, the largest department in the country, uses Gold Dot with great success. My cousin used to give me some of his allotted range ammo. Free Gold Dots for the win.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DominicM

Latest threads

Top Bottom