• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pensfaninmd

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 28, 2010
    Harford County
    When is the next practice/shoot?

I managed to do this at 500 impressed myself first time shooting that far. This was laying in the prone.

Great job! I am going to try to do the June 17th Frontier day and see how I do.
    Nice shooting.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Got a chance to do Frontier Sunday today. Hot and sweaty as a hogs balls. But other than that still fun to get some good DOPE in varying conditions. I proved two things. 1) My 6.5 ballistic calcs from the Kestrel were spot on. 2) I should expect to ring steel at 815yds using 5.56 from an AR-15.

Took another MDS member who popped his cherry first time past 200yds. He had a great time and exceeded his goals for the day.

He can tell the rest of the story once he’s allowed out of the MDS Doghouse.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    what rifle are you using when you compete?

i have a h-s precision HTR bolt gun 26" in 6.5 creedmoor, it's now in a mpa chassis, the stock that came with the h-s was too bulky. i also have a les baer monolith ar-10 in 308 24" and just built (assembled) a 224 valk in a mega billet upper & lower with a rainier ultramatch 24" bbl.

the good/great news is there are some pretty good sub $2k and even close to $1k rifles out there that will get it done. of course, nice glass is on top of that. having nice gear is nice, but it's definitely more the shooter than the gun.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    i have a h-s precision HTR bolt gun 26" in 6.5 creedmoor, it's now in a mpa chassis, the stock that came with the h-s was too bulky. i also have a les baer monolith ar-10 in 308 24" and just built (assembled) a 224 valk in a mega billet upper & lower with a rainier ultramatch 24" bbl.

the good/great news is there are some pretty good sub $2k and even close to $1k rifles out there that will get it done. of course, nice glass is on top of that. having nice gear is nice, but it's definitely more the shooter than the gun.

If I got serious about PRS I might to 6.5CM AR. I’m wondering if anyone uses 6.5 Grendel.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    If I got serious about PRS I might to 6.5CM AR. I’m wondering if anyone uses 6.5 Grendel.

doubt many if any are using the grendel in "regular" prs out to 1200yd matches. guessing at least some are using in the gas gun matches out to 800 yds.

Speed3

Ultimate Member
    Aug 19, 2011
    MD
    doubt many if any are using the grendel in "regular" prs out to 1200yd matches. guessing at least some are using in the gas gun matches out to 800 yds.

I'd agree...shot fclass last weekend at 800, 900 and 1k with my 6mmbr. 800 I did fine, 1k it moved around too much for my liking. Example, was dialed in for ~5mph wind....at the end of the string, I had dialed 1 MOA, and held out last the 8 ring.

I'd do the 6.5CM in an AR not the grendel

Got a chance to do Frontier Sunday today. Hot and sweaty as a hogs balls. But other than that still fun to get some good DOPE in varying conditions. I proved two things. 1) My 6.5 ballistic calcs from the Kestrel were spot on. 2) I should expect to ring steel at 815yds using 5.56 from an AR-15.

Took another MDS member who popped his cherry first time past 200yds. He had a great time and exceeded his goals for the day.

He can tell the rest of the story once he’s allowed out of the MDS Doghouse.

Guess who got help to log back in???
    I was with ToolAA on Sunday and was very pleasantly surprised my TC Compass in 6.5CM w/Vortex 3-9x40 was able to bang steel out to 1060yds.
    I have the distance bug now, and have a feeling it will get expensive.

ToolAA

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 17, 2016
    God's Country
    Guess who got help to log back in???

I was with ToolAA on Sunday and was very pleasantly surprised my TC Compass in 6.5CM w/Vortex 3-9x40 was able to bang steel out to 1060yds.

I have the distance bug now, and have a feeling it will get expensive.

Welcome back. We did have a good time and we’ll do it again. That rifle was surprisingly good. Sign up for a Bang Steel class with Dan Newberry. He preaches that you don’t need expensive gear to be a great long range shooter.

Rack&Roll

R.I.P
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    Bunkerville, MD
    Welcome back. We did have a good time and we’ll do it again. That rifle was surprisingly good. Sign up for a Bang Steel class with Dan Newberry. He preaches that you don’t need expensive gear to be a great long range shooter.

Amen.

Go find the video of the one mile hit using an off-the-shelf Ruger American rifle in 6.5 Creedmore.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom