• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    a LOT more have been sold than have failed. the failure of some of them was questionable, but they have a lifetime warranty so if it brakes they replace it.

i've got a plumb crazy and have had no problems. thinking about getting another one and SBRing it

is Plumb Crazy use a polymer hammer and other internals?

kohburn

Resident MacGyver
    MDS Supporter
    Aug 15, 2008
    PAX NAS / CP MCAS
    yep - all polymer except springs and bolt hold open, even the magazine release.

it's not as heavy duty as all metal but its also as light as you can get a lower.

just don't jam it into an air duct and hang down an elevator shaft from it using your belt. it may not hold up to that ;)

km04

Get crackin you muggs!!!!
    Jul 12, 2010
    Harford Co.
    I picked up one if the lowers, looking for an upper now. the one at Midway is on back order and Del-Ton told me 4-6 weeks. My search continues...

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    i'd rather spend $10 less for a aluminum receiver.
    A completed aluminum lower with a collapsible stock for $90? Really.

Personally, I feel like an ultra-cheap build like this might be better suited for .22LR. So, instead of getting a fake AR-15 in .22LR, why not get the real deal with sights and magazines from our IP JBO:
    LW-15 lower: $100
    Chiappa M4-22LR upper: $300
    MBUS Rear: $55

Or, if you could push just a bit more, there's the better CMMG upper for $350...

kmb

Ultimate Member
    Jul 20, 2011
    I get AR afficianado's thumbing their noses at the idea of a polymer lower. It makes sense. I mean, sh!t, I'd never sell them en masse to the Army, lest they get kicked, dropped, slammed in basic training. Keep an open mind, it may prove to be the next best thing.

In the late 80's and 90's carbon fiber was introduced into professional cycling. Bike frames were steel, then aluminum or titanium and eventually CF. Due to technological advances, CF is available for the masses and makes up a majority of new road bike sales. Guys my size (215) aren't supposed to be riding it. But we do and I know of and have seen guys pushing the 280+ mark on carbon fiber bikes and they hold up. When CF fails, it does so catastrophically. Like when the girl from New Market and her bf from Poolesville car-doored me last Memorial Day. But I digress, I'm ok.

Would I want a thinner walled carbon bike under me? No. But I'll take the standard 1000g frame and build a 15lb bike. As compared to a 22lb steel bike or 19ish titanium bike. There may be some future release of these lowers where polymer keeps the weight down, but proves to be as resilent as metal ones. Maybe with something like carbon fiber threads in the mold. It could happen. And just like these polymer lowers have failed, so have metal ones. No production line in the world is perfect. But I like the thought to a nice custom titanium lower......

PM me if there is group buy interest. It would be cool to GB and then meet at a range to compare notes on firing, composition, testing different ammo, durability over 1 mo, 3mo, 6 mo and longer intervals.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Well, we're already seeing the polymer revolution happening to rifles. A lot of new designs are going that route, especially with the lowers, to save weight. The real problem is not so much "polymers", but that the AR-15 was not designed with them in mind. No one's published any formal analysis to figure out where exactly you can properly use plastic or not. That's not to say that a polymer AR-15 is doomed to failure, but it does make it a somewhat tougher sell to the "all my guns must be able to survive four tours of duty in a tropical third world hellhole with no failures, even though they're never going outside the range" crowd.

I've been interested in polymer lowers for a while, but every use I come up with seems to have been better fulfilled by Kel-Tec.

Russ D

Ultimate Member
    Nov 10, 2008
    Sykesville
    Would anyone be interested in plastic Ars if they weren't cheaper? CF bikes are more expensive because they are stiffer and lighter and both make a better bike. Ask yourself if you would pay more for a plastic AR.

r3t1awr3yd

Meh.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 14, 2010
    Bowie, MD
    How would that go with the 30 day wait rule for regulated stuff -- stretch it out over 3 months? I would be interested in one or more depending ....

Either you're a collector and that limit doesn't apply or you can buy two, fill out an extra form and wait 60 days. I don't think there are any options beyond 60 days...

kcd

quickdraw
    Jul 21, 2007
    Fort Washington
    Would anyone be interested in plastic Ars if they weren't cheaper? CF bikes are more expensive because they are stiffer and lighter and both make a better bike. Ask yourself if you would pay more for a plastic AR.

What they need to do is give it a fancy name and charge more, then there may be more interest ;) If it's lighter and stronger, it's better right? But I think there are people here who don't believe it's stronger, contrary to what the manufacturer claims.

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    What they need to do is give it a fancy name and charge more, then there may be more interest ;) If it's lighter and stronger, it's better right? But I think there are people here who don't believe it's stronger, contrary to what the manufacturer claims.
    To be fair, we're also talking about a $100 complete lower. I just checked PSA, and their complete lower is $240. $140 can buy a LOT of quality and better materials.

Put it this way: if Magpul released a complete polymer lower with MOE equipment on it at the $250 price point, they'd sell a zillion of them.

jawn

YOU TROLLIN!
    Feb 10, 2011
    INTARWEB

:thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom