• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • arcmanacp

Jan 28, 2008
    Northwest
    recomend a scope

I just received my rail mount and rings.I need opinions on what scope would best suit a Marlin 336cs .35 cal. I cant aford top of the line,but i dont want cheap either.Suggestions?

You can't go wrong with leupold. check www.swfa.com they are a good online source.

A vari-x I (i think) 3x9x40 is like low $200's. that should serve you well.

I was talking with an African Professional Hunter once and he said "i could always tell a european hunter from an american hunter with 1 glance. The european had a $1000 scope on a $100 rifle and the american had a $100 scope on a $1000 dollar rifle".

arcmanacp

Jan 28, 2008
    Northwest
    I need a suggestion as to what power and brand scope I should purchase for my Marlin 336cs.I have the rail and rings.Dont want cheap but not top of the line either.Suggestions?

arcmanacp

Jan 28, 2008
    Northwest
    You can't go wrong with leupold. check www.swfa.com they are a good online source.

A vari-x I (i think) 3x9x40 is like low $200's. that should serve you well.

I was talking with an African Professional Hunter once and he said "i could always tell a european hunter from an american hunter with 1 glance. The european had a $1000 scope on a $100 rifle and the american had a $100 scope on a $1000 dollar rifle".

good advise,thanks

2SAM22

Moderator Emeritus
    Apr 4, 2007
    Check with Ed Shell, the man is a book of knowledge when it comes to scopes and long distance shooting.

VNVGUNNER

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2006
    Hebron, Md.
    The .35 Rem. is a good short distance / brush rifle with a 20" barrel.
    Not so great over 150 yards. (my opinion). Look for an optic that works well
    with a good field of view out to 200 yrds.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    A compact low power fixed scope would serve you well out to 150 yards, about what the rifle is capable of. Depending on how good your eyes are, you might want to consider a 4x, if you need a little more help, a 6x. Leupold FX-2 or a Nikon buckmaster are nice clear scopes for a good price. If you can shoot well with one, it is hard to beat a red-dot or scout mounted long eye relief scope for hunting in close quarters where you need a large field of view, and fast aquisition. Old fashioned iron sights are tough to use, but have no equal as far as simplicity and field of view go, In fact I took the Nikon buckmaster off of my 30-30 marlin, and just practiced more with the irons, and never saw a need to put a scope back on it, it is plenty capable of hitting a whitetail boiler room at 150 yards.

E.Shell

Ultimate Member
    Feb 5, 2007
    Mid-Merlind
    Thanks Vince. :)
    A compact low power fixed scope would serve you well out to 150 yards, about what the rifle is capable of. Depending on how good your eyes are, you might want to consider a 4x. . .
    Agreed on the low power (and accompanying wide field of view).

I have a Leupold 1-4x on my rabbit gun, and at 1x, it's a VERY fast, both eyes open system. For longer shots, I can set it up to 4x and be reasonably precise. I had the same scope on a deer gun for a while and when I was on stand, I left it at 4x, but when I was still hunting, I could go to 1x. The only downside of stopping at 4x in a low powered variable is checking for antlers, when 4x may or may not show you a spike mixed in with that bunch of does.

On my own lever gun, a .444 Marlin, I use a Williams aperture sight because a scope sits too high, kills my cheek weld and slows things down while I adjust my face on the stock.

Adams74Chevy

Hits broadsides of barns
    Oct 3, 2007
    Carroll Co.
    I've got a older Weaver K-4 on my "Thurdy-Thurdy" and can't complain my only problems have been caused by me (wrong lens covers stuck on it and the scope moved when I was fighting it off).

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom