• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Hey all,

Attempting my first AR build, and i'm running into a little issue. My BCG seems to be sticking out of the back of my upper ever so slightly, preventing the upper from pivoting onto the lower. BCG fits well inside the upper, and clicks firmly into place, however it is not sitting flush with the back of the receiver.

Pictures:
    tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o1_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o2_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o3_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o4_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o5_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o6_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o7_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o8_1280.jpg

tumblr_nhfia6UeDt1ruzkd6o9_1280.jpg

Any help or suggestions is appreciated.

Thank you

Fox123

Ultimate Member
    May 21, 2012
    Rosedale, MD
    When you press the forward assist does it close any further?

Does the bolt fully cam rearward out of the receiver?

What brand is everything?

lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    can you push the bolt fully back into the bolt carrier group?
    try removing the bolt from the bolt carrier and see if the carrier fits flush into the upper receiver.

Erick

Sep 13, 2013

What he said.

I apologize if this is too banal an explanation but occasion when I am in a hurry to close a rifle in the field I find the need to push the BCG in as it can stick out a bit.

it doenst happen often though the only other explanation I think think of is so badly out of spec upper or BCG that I cannot imagine it.. . :)

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014

Pressing the forward assist does nothing. I don't quite understand what you mean by "cam rearward". Upper I bought as a complete upper with the bcg and charging handle from JSE surplus, lower is an anderson lower.

jkeys

Jan 30, 2013
    As already said, hit the forward assist and see if that fixes it. If not, pull the bolt out of the carrier and make sure the carrier slides in all the way. I would recommend borrowing or buying a headspace gauge set so you know the parts are in spec before you shoot the gun. It is a $40 safety measure that is cheaper than a broken gun or trip to the hospital.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    can you push the bolt fully back into the bolt carrier group?
    try removing the bolt from the bolt carrier and see if the carrier fits flush into the upper receiver.

After removing the bolt from the bcg, the bcg still does not sit flush with the upper.

Is this a gas tube issue then?

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    After removing the bolt from the bcg, the bcg still does not sit flush with the upper.

Is this a gas tube issue then?

Looks like it could be. Wrong length gas tube? Possibly a mid in a carbine system.

If you look inside your upper receiver and see about 1.5in of gas tube then that is your problem

Edit. Just saw the picture inside your receiver. See if your gas tube is bent?

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Assuming the bolt is assembled correctly, it looks like the bolt lugs are not seating correctly in the barrel extension. It can be a tight fit on a new rifle, meaning you have to give the back of the carrier a good push to fully seat the lugs. In your photo of the barrel extension, what's the debris? Hopefully dust and not sand. It also looks bone dry. Lube is your friend on AR rifles.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Looks like it could be. Wrong length gas tube? Possibly a mid in a carbine system.

If you look inside your upper receiver and see about 1.5in of gas tube then that is your problem

Edit. Just saw the picture inside your receiver. See if your gas tube is bent?

The gas tube doesn't appear to be bent at all, at least not that i can tell.

Assuming the bolt is assembled correctly, it looks like the bolt lugs are not seating correctly in the barrel extension. It can be a tight fit on a new rifle, meaning you have to give the back of the carrier a good push to fully seat the lugs. In your photo of the barrel extension, what's the debris? Hopefully dust and not sand. It also looks bone dry. Lube is your friend on AR rifles.

I've removed the bolt from the carrier and it still is not seating fully. The debris you're seeing is dust that was picked up due to the macro setting i used on the camera. The receiver is very dry, but that shouldn't affect the fitment of the bcg should it?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Its not the barrel extension or bolt. The gas tube is too long.

That upper is FUBAR anyway. Those dremeled ramps are cheese grater, and likely are clickers. Send that thing back.

I have seen enough of that brand of uppers with bad headspace to never trust one unless I guaged it out completely.

Here's what protrusion you should get on your gas tube when the charging stem is locked in. Yes that's an AR cut away.

Attachments

• 14200018232581218025236.jpg
      14200018232581218025236.jpg
      57.3 KB · Views: 963

Boom Boom

Hold my beer. Watch this.
    Jul 16, 2010
    Carroll
    Bone dry can make the bolt lugs tough to seat on a brand new rifle. If the empty carrier won't seat, you can probably see or feel about where the interference is. I'm inclined to think it's the gas tube or forward assist. Is the forward assist spring working, meaning does the assist stay popped out so it doesn't hit the carrier?

Edit: Clandestine posted your answer.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Its not the barrel extension or bolt. The gas tube is too long.

That upper is FUBAR anyway. Those dremeled temps are cheese grater, and likely are clickers. Send that thing back.

I have seen enough of that brand of uppers with bad headspace to never trust one unless I guaged it out completely.

I'm afraid I don't follow.. Dremeled temps? clickers?

I bought this as a 'blemished' item.. I don't know if i can return it...

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    I'm afraid I don't follow.. Dremeled temps? clickers?

I bought this as a 'blemished' item.. I don't know if i can return it...

Sorry, it was a typo. Dremeled feel ramps is what I meant. They are not even or smooth, and a clicker refers to the upper barrel extension Ramps slightly overhanging the lower ramps like a roof shingle. When this happens it can cause bullet setback and failures to feed.

Nottherealfranco

MD Escapee
    Sep 24, 2014
    Is it possible for my bcg to be out of spec? It looks like it's coming in full contact with the front of the receiver.. If there was a gas tube issue wouldn't the bcg not fully seat?

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    The upper can be fixed but I would get it checked out. Replace the gas tube with the proper length one, have the headspace checked, and have a skilled AR guy/gal clean those ramps up. The lower ramps should not have been ground at all, removing the anodizing is not good because it's where all oF the hardness lies on the aluminum ramps.

clandestine

AR-15 Savant
    Oct 13, 2008
    Elkton, MD
    Is it possible for my bcg to be out of spec? It looks like it's coming in full contact with the front of the receiver.. If there was a gas tube issue wouldn't the bcg not fully seat?

When you removed the bolt head and inserted just the carrier into the upper it still sticks out right? If so the gas tube is bottoming out inside the gas key on the bolt carrier. If you look at my cut away bolt youll see that there has to be a space, if not it shuts the gas system off. Even if you got it to slam close it wouldn't cycle because it's going to crimp the end of the gas tube, blocking off the relief port in the carrier that causes the bolt head to unlock under pressure. Someone put a mid gas or custom length gas tube in a carbine upper gas system, or the like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    J_Gunslinger

Latest threads

Top Bottom