22LR Rifles patterned after ARs, copycats?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    In the bill the talk about the feature test and copycat weapons, does that mean I would have to register my M&P 15-22 if the bill passes? I didnt see anything about them being exempt

Sthomas229

none
    MDS Supporter
    May 7, 2009
    Laurel, MD
    In the bill the talk about the feature test and copycat weapons, does that mean I would have to register my M&P 15-22 if the bill passes? I didnt see anything about them being exempt

No

"(E) (1) “COPYCAT WEAPON” MEANS: 3
    (I) A SEMIAUTOMATIC CENTERFIRE RIFLE THAT CAN 4 ACCEPT A DETACHABLE MAGAZINE AND HAS ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:"

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD

It would be exempt because it is not a "centerfire" rifle. (See p 6, line 4; Sec 4-301(E)(1)(I))

7A38

Oriolesfan93p

Jan 5, 2013
    Richardson, TX
    So I don't need to rush out and buy a .22 AR, I should be able to pick them up even if the ban goes through? Will .22 mags still be limited to 10?

Unless I am mistaken mags on all firearms are being restricted to 10, however I am not sure if that can be circumvented like the 20 rnd. cap is now by simply going over to VA to get your standard size mag

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    It would be exempt because it is not a "centerfire" rifle. (See p 6, line 4; Sec 4-301(E)(1)(I))

7A38

This is wrong by my read. Or rather not wrong just incomplete.

Page 6 line 4 Section 4-301(E)(1)(I) does indeed specify "centerfire". But read on:

Page 6 line 4 Section 4-301(E)(1)(IV) does not constrain it to centerfire.

Quoting:

"A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine and has any of the following:
    1. A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
    4. The capacity to accept a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip."

Even with the amended SB 281 "two characteristic" feature the M&P 15-22 still qualifies - due to the rails it is capable of accepting a forward handgrip, and of course the detachable magazine is outside the pistol grip.

This firearm was previously unregulated. If this bill passes it goes from being unregulated to being an assault weapon all in one fell swoop, as I read the way it is written.

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    I stand corrected!! Thanks everyone. How about a .22lr pistol with a threaded barrel, that hold 10 rounds or less?

Same thing here.

Page 6 line 4 Section 4-301(E)(1)(IV) applies to both centerfire and rimfire. A semi auto is going to have a detachable mag. Subsection (1) bans it if it has a threaded barrel.

So for example my Ruger 22/45 pistol (http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html) has a threaded barrel so - bang - assault pistol.

And I have a Smith & Wesson M&P 15-22 too, so I'm double hosed.

grayson71

Ultimate Member
    May 7, 2011
    Rocky Gap, Va
    Same thing here.

Page 6 line 4 Section 4-301(E)(1)(IV) applies to both centerfire and rimfire. A semi auto is going to have a detachable mag. Subsection (1) bans it if it has a threaded barrel.

So for example my Ruger 22/45 pistol (http://www.ruger.com/products/2245ThreadedBarrel/models.html) has a threaded barrel so - bang - assault pistol.

fvck!!! I hate this state!!!:mad54: Time to get another cup of coffee and send more emails...

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Same thing here.

OH, got it!! If it's a SEMI-pistol, all it needs is ONE other trait.
    My FNP .45 Tactical is doooomed! :rolleyes:

But, let's say, my Ruger MKIII which is not threaded, is a semi and holds 10 or less should be exempt. right?

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    The Ruger MKIII which is not threaded should be OK. As for everything else not clear if it has only ONE characteristic. SB 281 was amended last night. We know they adopted a two v. one characteristic to define assault weapons, but we haven't seen the exact language yet. So things should be a bit better, a bit, but we'll see what the real text is once it's posted. It's possible 1 v. 2 got amended one place - but not another.

But the House equivalent, HB 294, still has only one characteristic. It has not been amended. Which is one of the very long list of reasons why we need to show up in force on March 1 in the House of Delegates.

jettoblack

Jan 23, 2013
    Page 6 line 4 Section 4-301(E)(1)(IV) does not constrain it to centerfire.

Quoting:

"A semiautomatic pistol that can accept a detachable magazine and has any of the following:
    1. A threaded barrel, capable of accepting a flash suppressor, forward handgrip, or silencer;
    4. The capacity to accept a detachable magazine outside the pistol grip."

IANAL, but the S&W M&P 15-22 is a rifle, not a pistol, so I don't think this would apply to it.

7A38

Sep 11, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Same thing here.

Page 6 line 4 is Section 4-301(E)(1)(I), not (IV). This applies to semi-auto centerfire rifles (not rimfire rifles or any kind of handgun).

Section 4-301(E)(1)(IV) is page 6 line 17, not line 4. This applies to semi-auto handguns (centerfire and rimfire, but not rifles).

IANAL, but the S&W M&P 15-22 is a rifle, not a pistol, so I don't think this would apply to it.

jettoblack, you are correct. I think aray is confused.

Guys, I know and understand this section very well. I have been talking to people in Annapolis about it regularly.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

7A38

aray

Ultimate Member
    Jun 6, 2010
    MD -> KY
    Yep, you're right, I was confused. Thanks for setting me straight. I withdraw my comments about the M&P 15-22. Pistol v rifle on that one sheesh... :blush:

This is one time I'm very glad to be wrong! :party29:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SrAIC

Latest threads

Top Bottom