• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I had a customer give me a really nice 1871 /94 Uruguayan Mauser. It is one that was converted to 6.5X53.5R by St Denis in France. The bluing has turned plum colored, and there is some minor freckling, but overall it is really nice, all matching numbers except some screw heads...However, I am cleaning it up and oiling it this evening, and I think someone cut the firing pin. AIEEEEEEE!!!!!!!I have been poking around on Algores amazing internet, with no luck. Anyone have any ideas? Old bolt to sell? I have an 1868/71 Swiss Vetterli "project" to trade.(Empty receiver, bolt and nice wood)

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I don't have a clue how to add a picture, but mine is different, and has threads on the cocking piece end. I think I am missing an extractor also, but I really do not see a way to even attach one. Pity, the firing pin was a matching number.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    It's a French Daudateau converted Urugauyan M71 Mauser. Don't own one of these conversions so I'm not sure if the bolt components are identical to the original Mauser built bits. Strongly suspect it will be different as the rim dia and thickness on the Daudateau cartridge varies from the original. But it would be a place to start. If lucky a simple bit of hand fitting might suffice if you can obtain an original.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    May I ask why you think someone cut the firing pin? did you take the bolt apart to check or you did a firing pin protrusion test/measurement?

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Because with the bolt assembled in the "fired" position, the tip of the firing pin has a lot of negative protrusion, IE no where near the face of the bolt head. Upon disassembly of the bolt, you can see the side cutter marks where they cut it. Believe me, I wish it were otherwise.

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    This might not work, but I think there's a guy you can send your firing pin to that will re-tip it for you. A lot of guys that buy War-Bond Gew 98's and Gew 88's send their pins to him since the firing pins are typically cut on those.

If I find out more info I'll forward it to you

jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    Oh that would be great. I was thinking about trying that. Working out in my head how to do it. It would be easier to send it to someone with experience.

BuildnBurn

Professional Pyro
    Oct 25, 2012
    Frederick County
    If you have a machinist friend have him cut off the tip flush with the stem, drill an appropriate size hole in the stem and silver braze a piece of drill rod in the drilled hole. The cut and file to length

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom