• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jessebogan

Feb 25, 2012
    I am trying to find any info at all on a Tyrer percussion shotgun I inherited from my dad. All I have found is sales results from one shotgun, and one pistol on Algores amazing internet.
    The locks are marked Tyrer, and an engraved scene of a pointer flushing a bird.
    The barrels are damascus, and the rib is marked "Richmond Va". The barrels appear to be british proofmarked..All the metal parts have at least some engraving, and most have some case colors still showing.

If no one can hazard a guess, some direction I could go to pursue info would be good too.

This thing is in really nice shape, perhaps having been "restored" long ago. My dad had it all of my life, probably from the late 50s, and I know for certain he did not restore it.

Anyone have a clue?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    Try a Google search for Tyrer Richmond Va

There were two Thomas Tyrer's, father and son, that worked as gunsmiths in Richmond, Virginia in the 1800's

There is both a Thomas Tyrer, Sr. and Jr. listed as gunsmiths in Richmond, Virginia circa 1850 to as late as 1804 when Jr. died. (reference page 311 of American Gunsmiths by Frank M. Sellers.

It also turn up your post in Shotgun World.com.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom