• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Picked up on Saturday. Thanks Mark and Tom! :thumbsup:

Rem 700 SPS chambered in 300 AAC BLK
    16.5" threaded 5R barrel, 1:7 twist to stabilize the heavy subsonic rounds.

The model# for this one is: 84205

Twisted on the SDN6 for the pic.
    Sorry not fired yet, but soon.

dsc01918b.jpg

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    Very nice. Mark mentioned he was getting some in last time I was there. Still on the fence as to whether I "need" one. I look forward to hearing your range report. I'm especially interested in the accuracy of subsonic ammo. My main concern of 300BLK in a precision gun is the accuracy potential.

Do you reload?

-Jim

anil

Sep 28, 2008
    Silver Spring, MD
    I've been considering 300BLK. Ammo cost seems really high, even when handloading vs 308 (though, I guess I haven't looked into .308 subsonic loads).

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    Picked up on Saturday. Thanks Mark and Tom! :thumbsup:

Rem 700 SPS chambered in 300 AAC BLK
    16.5" threaded 5R barrel, 1:7 twist to stabilize the heavy subsonic rounds.

The model# for this one is: 84205

Twisted on the SDN6 for the pic.
    Sorry not fired yet, but soon.

dsc01918b.jpg

Very nice..:thumbsup: What stock is that?

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    KingJamez: Yes, I reload. I don't quite expect what I get from my .223 SPS shooting supers, but I think it will be plenty respectable based on reports.

Anil: The cost of reloading BLK is in the .30 cal projectiles.

StickerLT: This is the Hogue stock that comes with this model, some dislike it, some like it. it's got an ACU-look as far as color goes.
    I'm indifferent, it works for my purposes. There is a possible issue with these stocks, but only sometimes. They are supposed to be free floating,
    but they can sometimes touch the bore out at the end of the stock.
    I sand them down another ~1mm (or so) to make sure there is no bore/stock contact beyond the receiver.
    If a dollar bill will slide between the bore and stock without pinching or dragging, it's good to go.

Kingjamez

Gun Builder
    Oct 22, 2009
    Fairfax, VA
    I too free floated my Houge stock on my 308 700 AAC. It free floats now, but I haven't really done a good accuracy test to see if further stock improvements are needed.

-Jim

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    Those things are tack drivers. Even I am getting groups the size of quarters, albeit only 100 yards. Mine is in .308. Congratulations!

thx, I agree, my .223 SPS easily shoots .6 MOA at 100 yards with my reloaded 50 grain Vmax's.

I expect reloading BLK with 110 or 125 grainers in the supersonic range should yield some nice results.

StickerLT

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick County
    KingJamez: Yes, I reload. I don't quite expect what I get from my .223 SPS shooting supers, but I think it will be plenty respectable based on reports.

Anil: The cost of reloading BLK is in the .30 cal projectiles.

StickerLT: This is the Hogue stock that comes with this model, some dislike it, some like it. it's got an ACU-look as far as color goes.
    I'm indifferent, it works for my purposes. There is a possible issue with these stocks, but only sometimes. They are supposed to be free floating,
    but they can sometimes touch the bore out at the end of the stock.
    I sand them down another ~1mm (or so) to make sure there is no bore/stock contact beyond the receiver.
    If a dollar bill will slide between the bore and stock without pinching or dragging, it's good to go.

Thanks!

504ranger

Mar 3, 2013
    Odenton, MD
    I just bought the same rifle from Mark a few weeks ago. I've shot it with 220gr subsonics out of my AAC can and it's definitely hearing safe. Right now I've got a Nightforce 1x4 on it and your right it's a tack driver. Congrats on the new blaster.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    I was visiting 2A when someone was picking up that gun, looks awesome in person; especially dig the Hogue rubbery stock. I believe the one the fellow was picking up was in .308, vice 300BLK. I think I'd prefer the .308 because that should be a seriously accurate rifle at range, and I read the 300BLK is somewhat limited in that regard. Plus there's more .308 to be found than 300BLK.

MOA implies 1.047" at 100yards, nevermind... (nerd in me gets out sometimes, :))

Great video about MOA-

HarCo2ANewb

Subibro
    Mar 24, 2011
    Elkridge
    I was visiting 2A when someone was picking up that gun, looks awesome in person; especially dig the Hogue rubbery stock. I believe the one the fellow was picking up was in .308, vice 300BLK. I think I'd prefer the .308 because that should be a seriously accurate rifle at range, and I read the 300BLK is somewhat limited in that regard. Plus there's more .308 to be found than 300BLK.

No - 300 BLK is much closer to 308 than you think. Let me give you three examples:

110 grain TAP 308 is 2800 fps from a 16 inch barrel. It drops to the muzzle velocity of 300 BLK at 130 yards. So 308 only has a 130 yard advantage for this bullet. If we consider 400 fpe to be the max range, then that is 610 yards for 308. 300 BLK drops to that energy at 475 yards.

610 / 475 is 1.28, so 308 has 1.28 times the range of 300 BLK.

To help prove your point though, I will pick the other end of the extreme - a heavy high-BC bullet and go by a velocity limit.

175 grain from 308 is 2603 fps. 300 BLK 175 grain is 1900 fps. It drops to a 300 BLK muzzle velocity at 420 yards.

(reference: http://digital.turn-page.com/issue/16258/19)

Now if we consider the 175 grain 308 range from a 16 inch barrel to be 1000 yards (the bullet is at 1180 fps then), 300 BLK will reach that velocity at 580 yards.

1000 / 580 is 1.7, so 308 has 1.7 times the reach of 300 BLK in this example that favors 308 more.

And a third way to look at it as by max point blank range (+- 3 inches). This time, I will pick the best practical bullet for each caliber.

16 inch 308 with Mk188 LR ammunition - 246 yards.
    16 inch 300 BLK with Barnes VorTex - 220 yards.

So 308 has 1.1 times the range for which you can shoot without adjustment of sights or compensation.

In summary, 308 has between 1.1 and 1.7 times the range of 300 BLK, depending on the bullet and metrics.

It is fair to call it 1.5 times more reach, but not 5 times.

So the question is - is the larger, heavier, and more expensive rifle - with much more recoil and vastly more noise and blast, worth it for 1.5 times the reach? Yes if you want it. No if you want to save weight. I would always want to own both.

Shot with 300 BLK Barnes:

DSC0001-3501.jpg

Bolded part at end are his words/my thoughts on 300vs308

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    PotomacRiver

Latest threads

Top Bottom