• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Echo

Troublemaker
    Oct 31, 2012
    Annapolis
    So many petitions. This one is by Mayors against illegal guns: https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/x101

This one is worded so crazy, I sound crazy opposing it.
    Dear Sen. Benjamin Cardin, Sen. Barbara Mikulski, and Rep. John Sarbanes:

I oppose Common Sense Legislation to End Gun Violence.

It's not common sense if it makes no sense!

Mr H

Banana'd
    I'll send it the old-fashioned way... they want more info than I'm willing to give.

The kinee-jerk response, in pushing for a renewal (and expansion) of any ban on civilian firearms, is unrealistic and unnecessary.

Inanimate objects are not the problem, nor is there a problem with 99% of legal purchases. If there is any problem in this regard, it is with ILLEGALLY OBTAINED firearms in our cities.

The recent events which have spurred the new conversation have a few factors in common.

The individuals chose venues which all but guaranteed unarmed victims ("gun free zones"). There was an element of illegality in how their firearms were obtained, in most of the instances (most notably theft). The perpetrators had mental health issues, or were social misfits. No "ban" would have prevented them from acting in some form.

The Second Amendment (as confirmed in 'Heller' and other recent rulings) is clear, that we have a right to self-protection... both in and out of the home. If there were armed citizens in these locations (or at the very least the POSSIBILITY of resistance), statistics and anecdotes prove that lives can be saved.

Banning personal firearms leaves populations vulnerable, and flies in the face of American rights, values, and tradition.

jonnyl

Ultimate Member
    Sep 23, 2009
    Frederick
    hit it

Oppose Sen. Feinstein's New Version of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban

Dear Sen. Benjamin Cardin, Sen. Barbara Mikulski, and John Delaney:

I oppose Sen. Feinstein's New Version of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban because this is purely an anti-gun measure rather than an anti-crime measure. The DOJ study that discussed the effectiveness of the previous AWB on crime stated that the results were too small to measure. This is not surprising since these types of weapons are used in such a small percentage of crimes that it's not realistic to expect a meaningful effect on crime. This is an emotional knee jerk reaction by many who would like to do "something" and sadly a conscious effort by some to use last months tragedy as a springboard to further anti-gun laws based on cosmetic appearance of a common type of rifle.

I'd like to also note that the report from the Virginia Tech Review panel stated that if the AWB with the magazine limits were in place that the outcome would likely have been no different. The key factors being time and lack of defensive positions.

Focusing on gun control in the wake of the Sandy Hook tragedy is at best an empty gesture, but the worst is that parents are being wrongly told that it will keep their children safe.

Privateer

Always Watching
    Feb 27, 2008
    Annapolis
    It is currently at 96% for new restrictions and 4% opposed. If you take the time to vote please remember to change the wording in your response.

Crawls

Apr 2, 2011
    Frederick, MD
    Done:
    As much as I could fit in the character limit:

I oppose the New Version of the Fed AWB because... the previous AWB failed to reduce gun violence and gun related deaths according to both the CDC and the National Research Council. Furthermore, according to FBI Statistics, gun related deaths have declined since the end of the AWB.

I applaud the Gov's desire to keep children safe, but assault weapons are not the problem. According to the CDC, approximately 6 times as many children drown and nearly 3 times as many children die from accidental poisoning than will die from guns. Ten times as many children die from auto accidents and nearly twice the number of children will die from their own parents hands than will killed by guns. Given that rifles(AR15s included) account for roughly 3% of all gun related deaths, it is insulting to use the tragic event at Sandy Hook against law abiding citizens' 2A rights.

If you want to impact gun violence, address handgun violence in inner cities perpetrated by known or repeat criminals because that is where the problem lies. Stealing our semi-automatic rifles and standard capacity magazines will do little to stop the violence and only create a false hope that progress has been made.​

Feel free to cut and paste.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom