• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CHUNKERMD

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2009
    West MD
    Well here on the farm......... they are called "No till. pneumatic potato planters".
    We also have "No till, pneumatic cantalope, watermellon and pumpkin seeders"

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    Nice copy / paste from Spud Wiki ?

You forgot this part:
    Interpretation of the ATF letter

"other forms of projectiles" is typicaly interpreted to mean flammable, and/or explosive projectiles; ie, that "potatoes" were an example of an acceptable projectile, and not the only option

Basically.... "It ain't illegal"

I forget where I found that, but it's good enough for me. :D

Guess I shouldn't mention how to make a tracer spud then?? :innocent0

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    Allegedly, Right Guard deodorant works well and smells better than burned hair spray.

And those little nerf footballs with the tail sections that look like mini bazooka rounds are the perfect size and are reusable. In fact, the neighbor kids will wear their little asses right out fetching them if you shoot them down the street.

Allegedly.

tailboardtech

Ultimate Member
    Feb 16, 2011
    upperco
    Allegedly they will also shoot tennis balls quite well to just don't shoot them at the garage wall. they will ricochet right back at you and trust me, not a good thing :innocent0

IJM

Ultimate Member
    Apr 7, 2012
    District of Columbia
    I built one back in high school, and it might still be in my dad's garage for all I know. The chamber was 4" diameter and about 2'+ in lengh, with a 6' barrel of 1.5" pipe. Shorter barels are louder, but you lose velocity. Aqua Net remains the propellant of choice. I recall fondly the days of buying 20 lb. bags of "all purpose" potatoes at the store. That thing would knock the bark off a tree at short range.

Ironsighter

It's "Citizen," not "Civilian"
    May 10, 2011
    Down South
    As the weather turns colder, you may have ignition problems with some aerosols, as most work best at "room temperature" in the 60's or better. Loading in a warm environment and then stepping outside to fire may be required.

I second the Aqua Net, although Right Guard still smells better when torched. Some swear by WD-40 because it has a barrel-lubing secondary effect, as does any aerosol lube.

Apples are good to shoot down at the farm because the deer love them. Sometimes you can get cheap orchard seconds that are wormy, but solid enough not to fragment.

One source: http://www.jbprojects.net/projects/potato2/

MDMOUNTAINEER

Glock, AR, Savage Junkie
    Mar 4, 2009
    West Virginia
    I worked at a car dealership in high school. One of the other lot guys had a potato cannon he kept in the back garage. We also happened to have a black walnut tree in behind the shop.

You would never believe how much damage a black walnut fired from a potato cannon can do to an aluminum garage door :D

The boss thought it was funny and decided to do it again.......................himself. He would later become the mayor of our town. This was one of the more tame stories I could tell.

mr phil

Ultimate Member
    Dec 9, 2007
    beach
    I got my spud gun out last night. There were some deer about 100 yards away in the bean field so I thought I would give them a salute. Well my little propane bottle is almost out so it comes out slow. I filled her up and it did not ignite.
    :sad20:
    Now ...I should have opened it up and aired her out before I put in any more propane. :lol:
    I did not. I stuffed her in there and filled her up. Of course my timing is off cause the flow is slow and not normal.

Holly cow!!!! It was getting dark and a flame shot out the barrel behind the spud. The spud just disappeared. It shot completely over the field and into the woods over 200 yards away. And it was a little on the loud side.
    NICE ONE !
    I may look into building an air powered one also.

Deep Creek Rock

.._. .._ _._. _._ .._
    Ive launched a few potatoes off the front porch - those f**kers fly way out there.

My propellent of choice is starting fluid, and primer is a Pushbutton BBQ ignitor hooked to long screws in the chamber that archs like a spark plug. I did buy one of those electronic BBQ ignitors, but never got around to changing it over.

They are fun to shoot.

huesmann

n00b
    Mar 23, 2012
    Silver Spring, MD
    We used to do this overseas back in the day with thick bamboo poles--we'd use a rod to bore out the pole (each section of bamboo has a wall between it and the next section). We'd pour kerosene in and ignite it through a hole bored in the bottom section.

SkunkWerX

Ultimate Member
    Jul 17, 2010
    MoCo/HoCo border
    I have built a few pneumatic launchers. The biggest is a 2" bore. It can launch those mini-nerf footballs at 500 FPS (Chronoed). Can actually do a lot faster, but above 500FPS it shreds the foam fins right off in flight.

Ever seen a 1/4th filled tube of caulk go right through a 3/4" sheet of plywood? :innocent0
    Why partially filled? The weight is at the pointy end, so it stabilizes better.
    The full ones tend to tumble and make sideways imprints in the plywood.

Note; small cans of tomato paste are also 2" diameter.
    Lemons fly like footballs.

It was a sickness for a while, I cut a small 2" ring from a piece of PVC, and walked around the grocery store and Home depot looking for possible projectiles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom