• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    I have a MD Police Training Commission - Firearms Safet Training Course - Certificate of Completion card issued 9/12/2007.

This is a 2"x4" ID type card I was issued after the course. Anyone know if they will take this photocopy to satisfy this?

Also, the card is old and was hand written by the instructor after course. Cert # is clear, so is there a way to request a duplicate copy?

Thanks everyone who has some experience with this.

Dan

Chasbo00

Jun 30, 2012
    Northern VA
    Here is what Virginia law says:

B. The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

Source: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.06/

My recommendation is to ask the VSP if your particular training documentation is acceptable to them. If it's not, your permit will be delayed while you are asked for more information and/or documentation.

phinfanfrommd

Jul 26, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Here is what Virginia law says:

B. The applicant shall demonstrate competence with a handgun by one of the following:

1. Completing a hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries or a similar agency of another state;

2. Completing any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course;

3. Completing any firearms safety or training course or class available to the general public offered by a law-enforcement agency, junior college, college, or private or public institution or organization or firearms training school utilizing instructors certified by the National Rifle Association or the Department of Criminal Justice Services or a similar agency of another state;

4. Completing any law-enforcement firearms safety or training course or class offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any division or subdivision of law enforcement or security enforcement;

5. Presenting evidence of equivalent experience with a firearm through participation in organized shooting competition approved by the Department of State Police or current military service or proof of an honorable discharge from any branch of the armed services;

6. Obtaining or previously having held a license to carry a firearm in the Commonwealth or a locality thereof, unless such license has been revoked for cause;

7. Completing any firearms training or safety course or class, including an electronic, video, or on-line course, conducted by a state-certified or National Rifle Association-certified firearms instructor;

8. Completing any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualifying to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties; or

9. Completing any other firearms training that the Virginia Department of State Police deems adequate.

A photocopy of a certificate of completion of any such course or class; an affidavit from the instructor, school, club, organization, or group that conducted or taught such course or class attesting to the completion of the course or class by the applicant; or a copy of any document that shows completion of the course or class or evidences participation in firearms competition shall satisfy the requirement for demonstration of competence with a handgun.

Source: http://law.lis.virginia.gov/vacode/title18.2/chapter7/section18.2-308.06/

My recommendation is to ask the VSP if your particular training documentation is acceptable to them. If it's not, your permit will be delayed while you are asked for more information and/or documentation.

Ok, will do. Thanks for the help. Called the instructor/proctor who issued it and he told me that the topics and curriculum haven't changed but the process in MD has since the changes to the law. I just want to avoid the "not sure but how about you send what you have and see what happens".

Am I the only one who finds it weird I'm told I can legally and constitutionally own a gun, only to now be asked if I'm "competent" to work one?

Lol, sorry....my rant is over.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Back in the day, copies could be requested. Even though back in the day, when I lost first one, it was easier, quicker, and cheaper to just watch video for gratis instead of mailing for copy.

Compared to Maryland, Va's proof of competency will accept virtually anything, and anyone who didn't just start shooting last week will probably be covered multiple times over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom