• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Why would speed be critical? If defense...target would then be retreating...if offense... You have the initiative...

I am curious, because this is not contingency I have considered.

Not saying it's impossible...just can't think of the practical scenario... at least from a civilian point if view...

You are assuming humans. If the front door is open, and multiple feral dogs or pigs are entering my residence, handgun for the ones inside, long gun for outside incoming threats.

dist1646

Ultimate Member
    May 1, 2012
    Eldersburg
    picture this scenario. Coroner being questioned by the prosecution.

"Dr. how many of the 10 shots fired would have been fatal?"

Coroner=All of them."

DA "so in your opinion the victim was dead and incapable of continuing the attack after the 1st shot?"

Coroner '"yes"

DA-"so the defendant stopped the attack after the first shot but continued to fire, using more force than was necessary to stop the attack?"

Coroner=IMO, yes"

DA "thank you Dr."

"your witness."

In uber liberal MD, good luck to that line of thinking.

Andrew Blanca mentions proportionality as part of a good self defence plan.

My 1911 doesn't hold that many rounds so, the DA would be in some deep do, do with that line of attack. You presume that I would need more than one round for only one attacker. Probably not.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    all I'm saying is threris no one size fits all plan. the same scenario exists if you fire 8 shots instead of 10. you should not plan on using more force than is necessary to stop the threat.

that's all.

of course it's your call.

woodstock

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jun 28, 2009
    this is one of the reasons i do not like holstering hot at matches. but according to rules, we have to, which should be a staunch reminder, as was said before, you don't get extra points for holstering fast. question: was he DQ'ed?

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    this is one of the reasons i do not like holstering hot at matches. but according to rules, we have to, which should be a staunch reminder, as was said before, you don't get extra points for holstering fast. question: was he DQ'ed?
    ND, idpa or uspsa is dq-able.

Kinda hard to finish the course/match while bleeding and limping.. ;)

Last edited:

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    First, I cannot see a competition shooter having any "dangly things" from his cover garment during a match. If there was a cover garment used.
    Second, holstering fast is not the problem (barring a floppy top leather holster), since a pistol comes out nice and clean. No reason it cannot go back in just as fast.

I'll go with that this cat is fairly new to the "shooting sport" and has little repetitions drawing/holstering under his "belt".

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    While never saying never, transitioning quickly from handgun to long gun is not a frequent need. Transitioning from pistol in hand to no firearm in hand is more likely.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , the late Jim Cirillo once put a bullet through and through his calf at a state chanpionship PPC match. He finished the match, AND the only points down were the10 pts for the one thru his leg.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom