• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA
    I can't find my old thread so here's a new one. At a match over the weekend an experienced shooter actually shot himself in the leg while holstering his hot handgun, OFF the clock. It was a through and through below the knee and above the ankle. I was not in his squad but sounds like either his finger got in the way or the trigger hit something while holstering.

Everyone thinks they're all cool and tactical by holstering without looking but there is almost zero reason to NOT go slow and see the gun into the holster. And of course keep your finger along the slide and outside of the trigger guard.

Please learn from his mistake.

ashershapiro

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 11, 2014
    I can't find my old thread so here's a new one. At a match over the weekend an experienced shooter actually shot himself in the leg while holstering his hot handgun, OFF the clock. It was a through and through below the knee and above the ankle. I was not in his squad but sounds like either his finger got in the way or the trigger hit something while holstering.

Everyone thinks they're all cool and tactical by holstering without looking but there is almost zero reason to NOT go slow and see the gun into the holster. And of course keep your finger along the slide and outside of the trigger guard.

Please learn from his mistake.

Same happened last month at a LE qualification I was at. Take your time re holstering.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Totally agree and witnessed a similar accidental self shooting while the person was reholstering, earlier this year. I recommend using both hands, moving very carefully and looking while reholstering. It's probably the most dangerous part of gun handling.

Having said that, there are millions of draws and reholstering probably done every single day, and its not a major issue, but avoidable.

Stay safe!

5.56blaster

Ultimate Member
    I was a military firearms instructor for almost 20 years. During that time I never had an injury or AD occur on my watch. I think that because the vast majority of my students were new to shooting they listened and were over careful while handling weapons. It's sad/funny how these guys that shoot all the time end up shooting themselves. Amazing how keeping your finger off the trigger unless pointed at your target works every time.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    Out of curiosity, where was the match? Just wondering if it's anybody i may know.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

jimbobborg

Oddball caliber fan
    Aug 2, 2010
    Northern Virginia
    Every time someone brings this up, I am compelled to point out that transitioning from handgun to long gun is one of those times you need to holster fast without looking. I know most shooting sports want you to dump your handgun prior to switching, but in a real situation, it comes in handy.

lx1x

Peanut Gallery
    Apr 19, 2009
    Maryland
    Every time someone brings this up, I am compelled to point out that transitioning from handgun to long gun is one of those times you need to holster fast without looking. I know most shooting sports want you to dump your handgun prior to switching, but in a real situation, it comes in handy.
    Most three gun I've been to.. handguns are used last in the cof.. for that specific reason.

davsco

Ultimate Member
    Oct 21, 2010
    Loudoun, VA

i said "almost" zero need to blind holster, as i'm sure there are some situations where that is needed, but i'd suggest practicing blind holstering with an empty gun.

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Hip out, look, thumb on rear of slide, and most importantly -- take your time.

Thanks for the reminder!

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Did an object fall into his holster or did he have his finger on the trigger? Was it a quality holster or a garbage "one size fits all plus we gave you retention" holsters that are out now?

I think I read on here or maybe picked it up in a class but it takes very little effort to unholster your weapon. If you feel more pressure than that reholstering STOP and figure it out. No use in jamming a gun with force into a holster.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    He should have had the Gadget.
    :lol:

Interesting. I don't know that I've ever tried going from pistol to rifle; just did a decent search and found dozens of videos going from primary (rifle/shotgun) to secondary (pistol/revolver), but only this one discussing going from pistol to rifle:

I'm not going to critique this video, nor recommend it; just pointing out that its a very rare thing. Even in this persons example, he's in no hurry to reholster because he has his rifle already pointing at the bad-guy while reholstering. For the life of me, I'm trying to understand how you might have a perfectly good rifle and not be using it instead of the pistol in the first place, in a threatening situation and need to transition from pistol to rifle in a hurry. Just seems extremely unlikely, but nothing is impossible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom