• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    I need an instructor who could help out with a red cross certified first aid class for cub scouts (2-5 grade).

The BSA manual mentions FACT (First aid for Children) but I have yet to find anyone who can get that curriculum (may have been discontinued).

Is there anyone who can help us out? Our pack meets in College Park.

Thanks

Dave

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    I need an instructor who could help out with a red cross certified first aid class for cub scouts (2-5 grade).

The BSA manual mentions FACT (First aid for Children) but I have yet to find anyone who can get that curriculum (may have been discontinued).

Is there anyone who can help us out? Our pack meets in College Park.

Thanks

Dave

Just curious, why does it have to be Red Cross Certified for Cub Scouts. My wife and I taught our Cubs, Webs, and Scouts nothing was ever required about Certifications. From what I remember from Cub Scouts (my son is now 16, a life scout, one merit badge and a project from Eagle, so it's been awhile) it was extremely basic.

FYI -My wife is a retired EMT-B, and I am a Retired Paramedic and we both are First Aid Merit Badge Counselors.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Just curious, why does it have to be Red Cross Certified for Cub Scouts. My wife and I taught our Cubs, Webs, and Scouts nothing was ever required about Certifications. From what I remember from Cub Scouts (my son is now 16, a life scout, one merit badge and a project from Eagle, so it's been awhile) it was extremely basic.

FYI -My wife is a retired EMT-B, and I am a Retired Paramedic and we both are First Aid Merit Badge Counselors.

We were looking at the requirements and the BSA documents (looking at emergency preparedness badge) and they mentioned red cross certified training. I'm relatively new to this (wolves) so I'm finding my way through.....

Got this from united Fire Company in Frederick. Have your troop leader contact EMS Lt. Jeana Panarella to coordinate support needs and scheduling at either panarella.j@gmail.com or at 301-275-1034.

Dave

This is cub scouts so they would want to hear from the Pack leader/ cubmaster? Frederick is kinda far, do you think they would be up for a trip to college park?

Thanks

Dave

markgrutz

Feb 1, 2011
    Ellicott City, MD
    If you need any AHA stuff, I have no problem coming down to college park to do a first aid class. We usually teach adults, but kids are no problem. I might even ask Jeana (from above) if she want's to come, she is great with kids, she is an EMT instructor, but not sure if she does AHA or ASHI.

Do you need certification cards or is this more of an information only type class?

I would be happy to do a MDS / former boy scout price for you.

Mark

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    We were looking at the requirements and the BSA documents (looking at emergency preparedness badge) and they mentioned red cross certified training. I'm relatively new to this (wolves) so I'm finding my way through.....

This is cub scouts so they would want to hear from the Pack leader/ cubmaster? Frederick is kinda far, do you think they would be up for a trip to college park?

Thanks

Dave
    I checked the requirements.......There are no specific requirements for certification of Merit Badge Councillors for First Aid or Emergency Prep unlike rifle and shotgun where you must be a current NRA certified instructor. I was a certified instructor for the National Sporting Clays Association and that was not recognized.

Anyone who has the knowledge and is comfortable working with the kids can become a councillor and or teach these subjects. We actually have our senior scouts teach, with proper supervision, the first aid requirements for rank to the younger scouts.

See if you have a mom or dad that's a firefighter or EMT, show them the requirements, and see if they are willing to step up, and teach.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    This is what I was running under for the cub scouts:

Tigers: Take a nationally recognized first-aid course geared toward children such as American Red Cross First Aid for Children Today (FACT).

Tiger is the one that I was looking for last year....

Wolves and Bears: Learn emergency skills and care for choking, wounds, nosebleeds, falls, and animal bites. The emergency skills should include responses for fire safety, poisoning, water accidents, substance abuse, and more.

This is the one I need for this year

Webelos: Take a first-aid course.

and we also have this to deal with.....

The tiger requirement seems harder to meet (FACT is the course I can't find). I'd like to find one course that would work for as many levels as possible....

the wolf and bear requirements seem to be a lot easier to organize. General consensus is no formal course for those?

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    WOW .....They've changed those rank requirements.

Tigers was just basic hygiene and band aids.

Bears and Wolves were basic recognition and treatment of burns, cuts, bites, etc.

Webeloes had to earn the First Aid belt loop.

I don't think your going to find a certified course for Tiger age. Most childrens courses would be geared towards Web aged kids.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    The irritating thing is that the Red Cross does have a course but no one has the materials to teach it. I had one of the heads of the medical flight line at Andrews looking for it and he had no luck.....

fortunately I've got wolves this year so the requirements are actually easier.....

Mack C-85

R.I.P.
    Jan 22, 2014
    Littlestown, PA
    The irritating thing is that the Red Cross does have a course but no one has the materials to teach it. I had one of the heads of the medical flight line at Andrews looking for it and he had no luck.....

fortunately I've got wolves this year so the requirements are actually easier.....

Yeah, I think requiring a "certified course" for second graders is a bit off the charts.

Sounds to me like Scouts is getting a little too cozy with ARC.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    I just got off of the phone and I have someone that is willing to help. Call the College Park VFD station 12 (301) 883-7712. Jack Regan is the person they you will want to speak to or leave a message for. He said he can help out with setting things up so they can earn their merit badges.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    For next year you may want to talk with the Red Cross about setting up a class. They have an office on belcrest rd in hyattsville next to fire station 1.

slybarman

low speed high drag 9-5er
    Feb 10, 2013
    This is what I was running under for the cub scouts:

Tiger is the one that I was looking for last year....

This is the one I need for this year

and we also have this to deal with.....

The tiger requirement seems harder to meet (FACT is the course I can't find). I'd like to find one course that would work for as many levels as possible....

the wolf and bear requirements seem to be a lot easier to organize. General consensus is no formal course for those?

Which adventure is this under?

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    Emergency preparedness badge.

the scouts do half the requirements anyway. I wanted to make the others accessible.

Thanks parttimer, I'll get a call in....

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rifleman

Latest threads

Top Bottom