• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esqappellate

President, MSI
    Feb 12, 2012
    same as the link I posted.

Westlaw seems out of date.

IANAL

I just reported the discrepancy to West and they promised to report back. Many thanks to you and others who have noted this difference. It is really quite important. It does rather shake my confidence in Westlaw.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    It looks like you don't have to pay any money for the preliminary approval application, is that right?

$85 for app; $35 for fingerprints at time of application.

Application instructions attached.

Attachments

• ConcealedCarryLicenseApplicationInstructions102214_FINAL.pdf
      734.9 KB · Views: 391

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    Why you would wnat a DC permit, even if you have no intention of carrying in DC:

Imagine driving through DC and forgetting to disassemble your car to look for that little spent shell casing hiding under your spare tire, lodged between a stale Dorito and the two quarters that rolled out of your range bag two years ago (the Dorito is likely still edible). The NRA sticker on your window tells the DC officers everything they need to know, and you get the pleasure of a search. They find the shell and you are facing ten years, assuming you cannot get the search tossed on 4th Amendment grounds. Either way, you are effed.

Now imagine the same scenario with a DC carry permit: in your car, you are "in the carry zone". That shell is not an issue, search or no search.

The Carry Permit is a get-out-of-jail card for those who might get snagged doing nothing wrong.

Why would they search your car? I've never been 'searched' in DC. You pretty much have to do some incredible stupid stuff to get DC cops to pull you over and mess with you. I'm no badge licker and there are probably some 'rotten apples' in every PD, however DCPD [in my experience] have been mostly a professional bunch [in my limited experience]. I guess if I looked like a stunt double for a gang-banger or fit some other stereotype who knows, but that's just hyperbole to think you're just gonna get stopped and searched for no reason.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Don't have your ID/Insurance/Registration is a fast way to fail the attitude test in DC.

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Why would they search your car? I've never been 'searched' in DC. You pretty much have to do some incredible stupid stuff to get DC cops to pull you over and mess with you. I'm no badge licker and there are probably some 'rotten apples' in every PD, however DCPD [in my experience] have been mostly a professional bunch [in my limited experience]. I guess if I looked like a stunt double for a gang-banger or fit some other stereotype who knows, but that's just hyperbole to think you're just gonna get stopped and searched for no reason.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes. Don't have your ID/Insurance/Registration is a fast way to fail the attitude test in DC.
    Some people are subject to searches because of where they go and what they do. It's all a part of the job. Not everyone gets to say, "Am I being detained...may I go now?" over and over on YouTube.

DC is full of such places, and people from cafeteria workers to presidential aides are caught up in it. And if you spend enough time there, you'll find they can toss a roadblock and come up with secondary search causes in a jiffy, and no court cares. It's special, in that special kind of way we all hate.

Point was (is): it's a reason to get a permit. Maybe not for you, but definitely for some. Some don't have easy choices.

If it's not your game, don't knock others for paying their bills. We don't write the rules, but we do follow them.

Maverick0313

Retired and loving it
    Jul 16, 2009
    Bridgeville, DE
    Some people are subject to searches because of where they go and what they do. It's all a part of the job. Not everyone gets to say, "Am I being detained...may I go now?" over and over on YouTube.

DC is full of such places, and people from cafeteria workers to presidential aides are caught up in it. And if you spend enough time there, you'll find they can toss a roadblock and come up with secondary search causes in a jiffy, and no court cares. It's special, in that special kind of way we all hate.

Point was (is): it's a reason to get a permit. Maybe not for you, but definitely for some. Some don't have easy choices.

If it's not your game, don't knock others for paying their bills. We don't write the rules, but we do follow them.

Take a wrong turn and go onto the NSA campus......:innocent0

Patrick

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 26, 2009
    Calvert County
    Damn, I thought I was paranoid. :D
    It's not paranoid if they are really out to get you. :)

Take a wrong turn and go onto the NSA campus......:innocent0

Exactly. I'll go further: if you've worked at any agency downtown for any length of time, you've probably been searched. For sure your car has had a dog run by it, even if you did not know because they did a walk of the lot. Last thing you need is Beagle Barney sniffing your trunk after a reloading party at the local range.

Turbohugh

Squib..
    Jan 13, 2014
    Planet Earth
    I think you're exaggerating be but maybe from the hills and valleys of Calvert Co. DC seems like this evil place.

Probably a good idea to leave all the firearms stuff home if you do not possess a permit in DC. No reason to let 1 spent shell casing ruin your week/year. It can be pretty draconian if you're caught with anything considered illegal in DC. However I would like to say from my personal experience DC police are much more professional than the few police I have encountered in other areas of the country.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom