• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave MP

Retired USA
    Jun 13, 2010
    Farmland, PA
    Found 4 of these at a "picker" (antique) store in PA (near Shrewsbury)
    20180310_101815.jpg

firemn260

Sep 15, 2015
    Harford County
    I got into forging knives about 4 years ago. There is a forum called https://www.iforgeiron.com/

There is a lot of great info on there about anvils, forges and other blacksmithing tools.

As far as anvils go there are several types out there. Ones that are offered at stores like harbor freight are cast iron and may work for starting out but will not last long. Also cast iron absorbs a hammer blow which in turn caused you to have to put more work into a piece you are trying to forge. A good compromise is a cast anvil with a hardened face. I have a 210lbs English pattern anvil with a 3/4 inch hardened tool steel face. (The face being the working surface of the anvil). The ultimate find would be a completely forged steel anvil. There are several company’s that make new forged steel anvils but you will pay a premium for them. I think a 150 pound Emerson from centaur forge will run you about 1200. Keep a look out on craigslist, there are deals to be had but unfortunately people are starting to realize the value of anvils and asking a lot for them. I think 3-4 dollars a pond for a useable hay budden or petter wright anvil is reasonable but there are people asking 6-7 a pound and getting that all day long. Flea markets and estate sales are also good sources.

I had a guy who was a 40 plus year blacksmith show me the ropes and trust me there is a lot to learn when it comes to working metal into a usable tool.

I used to use any steel that I could scavenge including leaf springs, files, farrier rasps and anything else I thought may be hardenable. What I’ve learned from that is it can get frustrating trying to work with a unknown steel as far as how it forges and it’s hardening process. I started buying known steel like 1095 which has a specific carbon content and heat treat process . Don’t get me wrong, beautiful highly functional knives are made out of files and springs everyday but it’s a bit of a gamble if you don’t get the heat treat right.

I built a propane forge from a oxygen cylinder that works well for what I do. With a well tuned burner and the right lining this type of set up will get plenty hot for forge welding.

I am not a expert but I can get you on your way to getting started. I have plenty of extra material laying around if you are interested in building a forge or need some scrap to beat on let me know. PM me if you have any questions.

CrazySanMan

2013'er
    Mar 4, 2013
    Colorful Colorado
    Start with the stock removal method of making knives. It's easier, they will come out better, and it's cheaper. Plus you don't have to go through setting up a forge and procuring an anvil. If you enjoy knifemaking after making several stock removal knives, then move on to forging them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom