NY Senate Bill Would Require $1 Million Liability Insurance Policy for Gun Owners

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Inigoes

Head'n for the hills
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 21, 2008
    SoMD / West PA
    Watch them also try to ban any company from actually providing this coverage.

Also, I might be wrong, but I've read insurance can't cover you for willful criminal acts.

That already happened! The NRA CarryGuard insurance was sued by the State of New York last summer, IIRC.

Defense Rifle

Jul 1, 2016
    NC
    I already knew this was coming, my contact in the Maryland house of delegates also told me this is type of bill is coming to Maryland as well. A gun owner insurance policy coverage requirement for every gun you own, same as you need car insurance coverage for every car or motor vehicle you own. As for the actual insurance companies, they will have ultimately have to comply with the state jurisdictions they operate in.

We will see whether such a bill actually gets passed in Maryland, as far as votes are concerned the votes are there for it to pass the House and Senate. Btw AFAIK the NRA does provide some form of gun owners insurance, so maybe the bill will consider that too.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    What if someone living on welfare who has a gun for home protection in their government-subsidized housing can't afford firearm insurance?

Dingo3

Ultimate Member
    Apr 4, 2013
    Fredneck
    Going to the abstract here: should us subjects also be required to purchase an insurance policy for the quartering of soldiers? That is, after all, the Third Ammendment and also obviously in the Bill of Rights. When does it end?

Decoy

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 2, 2007
    Dystopia
    Going to the abstract here: should us subjects also be required to purchase an insurance policy for the quartering of soldiers? That is, after all, the Third Ammendment and also obviously in the Bill of Rights. When does it end?

It ends when we are subservient or dead

PapiBarcelona

Ultimate Member
    Jan 1, 2011
    Hasn't NY already tried this multiple times? Crickets each time?

I thought NY banned the NRA's "Murder Insurance" or whatever the buzzword its called? I remember seeing a news article a while ago?

So Unbanning the banned insurance or, no? LOL

Pushrod

Master Blaster
    Aug 8, 2007
    WV High Country
    Hasn't NY already tried this multiple times? Crickets each time?

I thought NY banned the NRA's "Murder Insurance" or whatever the buzzword its called? I remember seeing a news article a while ago?

So Unbanning the banned insurance or, no? LOL

No. Now that they have banned the NRA's insurance and it is no longer available, and I would conjecture that most other insurance companies will not handle this type of policy, they can effectively ban gun ownership in NY as no one would be able to comply.
    Let's hope the courts set them straight on this. :mad54:

MULE-JK

Stiff Member
    Sep 7, 2013
    Mt. Airy
    On average a $1,000,000 umbrella policy costs about $200 and DOES NOT cover willful acts. Not everyone qualifies for an umbrella policy.

A primary policy covering willful acts would be necessary and is currently unavailable.

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    I already knew this was coming, my contact in the Maryland house of delegates also told me this is type of bill is coming to Maryland as well.

That would be very, very hard to enforce. Not least because many longarms are not papered with MSP. Not to mention the legal issues. People trying to compare things to car insurance forget that you do not need insurance to own a car, nor to drive a car. Only to drive one on public roadways. And the State is required to sell insurance to individuals who cannot secure coverage from private insurance companies.

Come to think of it, that last might be the sledgehammer used to crack this silly notion over the head.

Jim12

Let Freedom Ring
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2013
    That would be very, very hard to enforce. Not least because many longarms are not papered with MSP. Not to mention the legal issues. People trying to compare things to car insurance forget that you do not need insurance to own a car, nor to drive a car. Only to drive one on public roadways. And the State is required to sell insurance to individuals who cannot secure coverage from private insurance companies.

Come to think of it, that last might be the sledgehammer used to crack this silly notion over the head.

Haha. MGIF = MAIF for gun owners?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom