Gunsmith John Carduner (Please - Actual Customer Feedback Only)

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Oct 27, 2008
    Dundalk, Hon!
    I bought a Randall Raider (Model A211), an all stainless steel Colt's Commander clone, online a couple of months ago. It worked, but felt worn and had some rough spots handling-wise.

Couple weeks ago I handed it over for John's reliability package with 4 pound trigger, etc. Got to test fire it tonight. After a glitch or two which John fixed right there in the store, it works perfectly and is much easier to rack and shoot. The trigger is much better and the empties go back over my right shoulder instead of forward into the range area. Main thing is, the thumb safety doesn't fall out when I put it down on its left side. The whole gun feels more solid and smoother now.

John disassembled the gun and showed me all the work he did inside, the parts he replaced and why he replaced them. I was amazed that the recoil spring guide rod was made of aluminum! The Randalls were 100% made of stainless steel, it was their main marketing point. This gun has been messed with far more than the online seller indicated.

John was diplomatic about it, but he made it clear the gun was a real PITA to work on, rough inside and with substandard parts and fitting. In my ignorance, I thought I had bought a shootable collector's item. Maybe it is, but it had a lot of room for improvement. John did beautiful work smoothing things out. I can feel the difference his polishing work makes.

So, I've learned the lesson about not buying guns online before I can hold and shoot them. Not the first time it's hit me in the face, but this time I am going to live it.*

Anyway, I am very impressed with John's talents, abilities and professionalism. He gets :thumbsup::thumbsup: from me. I recommend you pick up one of his cards and pamphlets at FreeState Gun Range and give him a call to talk about work you'd like to have done.

* 8 Dec. - I've already broken this promise three times now. I will never learn.

Attachments

• emoticon headbang.gif
      emoticon headbang.gif
      5.1 KB · Views: 3,447
    Last edited:

adodson

Jun 12, 2007
    Towson, MD
    John's a great guy and does great work. He's partnered up in Timonium as well. Did amazing work on Jay's GI Champ... now it shoots like a $2,000 custom gun.

mercop

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Jan 7, 2008
    SW PA
    Yes, John was kind enough to move the sight over on my G19. Luckily just about the only work a Glock needs:)- George

Guderian

Mar 31, 2011
    What days and times is he at FreeState? He offered to move my rear sight too, but I didn't take him up on it because I wanted to eliminate the shooter as the problem, even though he shot it and agreed it was shooting left. Now I regret it because at 25 yards, I'm aiming at the target's left arm to get it to hit in center mass. :sad20:

harley121

Sep 10, 2010
    Rosedale, MD.
    Hello everyone,
    I purchased a used S&W 1911 that supposedly had some work done on it. It seemed ok to me in that it functioned ok, and the trigger felt just slightly better than what was on my other 45. I just wanted it gone over and “tuned up”.
    Johns Reliability Package combined with the trigger job (3.5 pound pull) made it feel and shoot like you would expect a much more expensive 1911 to.
    Then lastly I had John install a C-More sight and mount that I had purchased. His installation (lay out, drilling and tapping 6 holes) turned out fantastic! S&W could not have installed it any sweeter!

We met back in Timonium at the range and test fired it checking for proper and smooth function. I couldn’t believe it was the same 1911. It operated /cycled very smoothly, the accuracy was greatly improved as well. My first rounds fired were on the paper and in a group that could be covered with a half dollar. Since that initial test firing I have sighted it in and the accuracy has gone through the roof!

His pricing is very reasonable; he is honest and truly a professional Gun Smith in every sense of the word. No need to worry or stress about handing over your firearm to John Carduner for servicing! Like me you will be a customer for life.

Thanks,
    Bob R.

Infosec Guy

Sep 20, 2009
    Columbia MD
    I just got my 1963 Browning High Power back from John, and I have to say, he did a great job. It doesn't look like the same weapon that I handed him. Before I bought it, this weapon had sat in a sock drawer for 40 years, with two loaded mags. It was prone to FTEs, 3-point hangs, and generally being a finicky weapon (although very accurate).

Now, it's looking good, and apparently feeling good, 'cause it shoots very well. No FTEs, no 3-points, no stovepipes. Just flawless delivery of ammo to the chamber & out the pipe.

Thanks John!
    Perry

wreckdiver

Ultimate Member
    Nov 13, 2008
    Tell me more about the 1911 reliability package. I have a Dan Wesson 1911 that's been giving me some issues lately.

Axygos

Concerned Citizen
    Jul 25, 2011
    Kudos on a Job Well Done!!

I'd like to echo the other members regarding John Carduner's work.

Back in March, I purchased a new Colt Special Combat Gov't 1911. Thought I was getting a nice higher-end pistol that I could use for target shooting and collecting. I went to try it out at Continental and was not 100% thrilled. Met John there for the first time and had him look over the 1911. He was immediately able to show me the poor quality workmanship in this Colt. This included:
    1. Cast metal parts
    2. Loose tolerances for the slide/frame fit
    3. Joints that weren't flush
    4. Some creep in the trigger
    :tdown:... just to name a few.

After some massive amounts of work including new internals and trigger work, I had a chance to shoot it at the range. It was night and day. Lighter trigger, better movement, much more precise overall. I decided that I should have it re-finished. John recommended Nighthawk Custom and sent the pistol there where we also requested some front-strap checkering. Unfortunately, Nighthawk damaged the frame... on the bright-side, they immediately called John (who kept me apprised) and provided a new Nighthawk frame at no charge. They fitted it to the slide and refinished the gun at their cost.

Now I have a fabulous "custom" 1911 thanks to John for his work and choosing a reputable company that stood by their work! :party29:

It's one thing when work turns out well... but you really see the true nature of people (and companies) when they deal with poor outcomes... and this was handled superbly by John and Nighthawk!

John has also met me at the range numerous times as the work progressed to keep me up-to-date. He's helped me with sights on my R8 revolver, given me some excellent shooting pointers to improve my skills, and even looked over a used S&W 44mag before I purchased it.

This guys is committed to detail and you can't go wrong having him take care of your pistol investments!

R81

Jun 30, 2006
    I was very pleased with John's work on my S&W 66. I highly recommend him to others who need gunsmith work.

Tomfowl

Oct 14, 2010
    Towson
    John replaced the sights on my Springfield WWII model. His work was top notch and done in a timely manner. He also pointed out some other things that needed attention and fixed these problems as well. I would use him again for 1911 work.

I totally agree with all of the positive comments regarding the quality of work and professional attitude of John Carduner. His numerous tweaks and upgrades to my 1911s have been near flawless. When an issue has come up, it has almost always been a parts problem caused by the manufacturer. In every case, John fixed the problem in a timely fashion and disclosed all the facts related to what had to be done and why. John has performed reliability jobs on several of my 1911 pistols-two Colts, two Springfields. He has done at least two trigger jobs resulting in 4 lb triggers with no creap and crisp break.
    John did considerable upgrading and polishing to my Colt Combat 1911(bought on-line). The results were remarkable. That Colt is now much better than it ever was in its previous life. It is smooth and reliable. John's workmanship and quality speak for themselves. He is honest and prices his work fairly. He holds himself accountable for everything he does and is proud of his work. If you want your 1911 to be the best it can be, trust it to John Carduner.

A very satisfied customer,

Tom Knight

wbwanzer

Feb 4, 2008
    York PA. and loving it
    I had John Carduner work on a 1911 that I bought used over the internet. It had a few problems to say the least.

We met at Freestate shooting range (very nice facility, by the way) and John took my Springfield 1911 apart and went over the various parts and what the problems were that he saw. He gave me a rough idea of the cost and then followed up with an email with the work order. He got the necessary parts, fitted them and got the gun back to me in less than a week. He did very nice work and did what we had agreed upon. John communicates throughout the process, which I like. John did a great job, and I'm a happy camper again.

I have since given him my SIG 229 which has developed a problem. I have confidence in John's appraisal of the situation and his work.

Louie

Sep 10, 2009
    Edgehood
    Would he be the kind of guy I would take a gun to that needs to have its finish renewed? ( have discoloring on a ruger I own)

dawnsden

Mar 23, 2011
    John worked on 2 of my 1911's and the results are fantastic. His attention to detail and workmanship is second to none. He took the time to listen to what my goals where for both pistols and after an examination explained what needed doing. Both shoot better than I had hoped for. I highly recommend him.

verizonguy

Sep 30, 2010
    Bel Air, MD
    I too can say John does great work. I just recently purchased a "slightly used" Taurus 1911. The gun was in good visual shape, but after firing it and through a little closer inspection, the gun wasnt as good of shape as I thought. The factory barrel's feed ramp had been poorly, and very unsafely, machined to a potentionally dangerous tolerance. A couple of other internal issues need to be dealt with as well. After getting Johns name from on here as well as Freestate, i reached out to him for some work to my 1911. We talked about some options and I had him install a Kart Match Barrel in the 1911 as well as upgrade the sight to HiViz Fiber Optic sights and did a complete strip of the gun. I am very pleased with the work he did and would reccommend him to anyone looking to get some work done the their gun.

Jason.

Attachments

• 1911.jpg
      1911.jpg
      72.8 KB · Views: 2,792

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads