• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    Thread revival...

For a few months, I've been mulling over the idea of building AR lowers and would like to get some info from the collective wisdom and experience here on MDS. I'm interested in building AR-15, AR-9 and AR-10 lowers from 80% receivers. It looks like the jig from Eightypercentarms.com gets good reviews and can be used to machine all 3 different lowers.

https://www.80percentarms.com/colle...cts/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig

Has anyone used it? ....or any other jig?

Which castings have people used for their builds? ...esp for the AR-9. There don't seem to be a lot of options.

And as far as my own tooling, I have a decent floor-mounted drill press and a cross-slide vise to use for the machining. Any experience or hints?

JoeR

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Thread revival...

For a few months, I've been mulling over the idea of building AR lowers and would like to get some info from the collective wisdom and experience here on MDS. I'm interested in building AR-15, AR-9 and AR-10 lowers from 80% receivers. It looks like the jig from Eightypercentarms.com gets good reviews and can be used to machine all 3 different lowers.

https://www.80percentarms.com/colle...cts/easy-jig-gen-2-combined-ar-15-and-308-jig

Which castings have people used for their builds? ...esp for the AR-9. There don't seem to be a lot of options.

And as far as my own tooling, I have a decent floor-mounted drill press and a cross-slide vise to use for the machining. Any experience or hints?

JoeR

I have a mill, but get really nice results with my 5D Tactical Jig. Very similar to the Gen 2 Easyjig. Drill press and handheld router and you can knock one out in 45 minutes. I have used Cerro-forge castings and some no-name castings and never had a problem with any. With both jigs, you only need to drill a couple of holes, but a drill press is really nice for the pilot holes. I love my 5D tactical jig.

Drmsparks

Old School Rifleman
    Jun 26, 2007
    PG county
    who has the best castings with a flared magwell? I'm happy with everything else usgi but I do love that wider magwell.

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    Thread revival...

JoeR

I just bought one and it arrived today, I will let ou know how it works out.
    Jim

whistlersmother

Peace through strength
    Jan 29, 2013
    Fulton, MD
    I've "stream-lined" my use of the 80% Arms EasyJig. I drill one hole in the FCG about the size of the router bit and not very deep. I don't bother drilling the others. Then, I use the router bit to mill out the entire FCG.
    The trigger hole was cut using the mill bit directly - no drilling it out first. I simply "plunge" the router down and let the milling bit drill through the bottom where the trigger slot will be.
    When finished, I drill out the trigger/hammer/selector holes VERY carefully using a drill press. I make sure the jig is as close to level as possible - my assumption is that the quill is square to level (bad assumption, but it's worked so far).

I did this with my last receiver and it turned out better than the previous receivers. Usually I have to hand tune the one side of the safety selector to get everything to work correctly. This time, it was all aligned without hand tuning the hole.

Now if I can just find the d*mn front takedown detent after launching it...

Snav

Feb 27, 2013
    Montgomery Co.
    I started using the EZ-jig then changed to 5D tactical. The 5D was far faster. Both have idiosyncrasies but I modified my technique on the 5D as I didn't need to do the rear shelf and I found the router bit supplied was much more efficient. I was using forged receivers on each.

I know it's me but I had issues with precision on the detent and alignment of the safety selector on both, nothing a little hand rework and couple thousandths of JB weld couldn't fix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    SparkyKoT

Latest threads

Top Bottom