• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    When I lived in Mt. Airy, Frederick and then Hagerstown I did all my practicing at the Monocacy Pistol Club because they have steel and paper setup for any time of the day. But after escaping the People's Republic of Maryland I landed on a friend's farm in WV. I pretty much do all my practice there now. I can setup Steel Challenge stages or shoot rifles out to over 500 yards as long as the cattle are not in the fields in back of me, right from my back yard or deck.

When I lived in Mt. Airy, Frederick and then Hagerstown I did all my practicing at the Monocacy Pistol Club because they have steel and paper setup for any time of the day. But after escaping the People's Republic of Maryland I landed on a friend's farm in WV. I pretty much do all my practice there now. I can setup Steel Challenge stages or shoot rifles out to over 500 yards as long as the cattle are not in the fields in back of me, right from my back yard or deck.

Sounds amazing...jealous for sure!!

Mike OTDP

Ultimate Member
    Feb 12, 2008
    This will make me unpopular, but here goes....

Get a decent .22 pistol. Shoot bullseye matches (NRA Conventional Pistol). The 12th Precinct Pistol Club, just south of Annapolis, has monthly matches and a league.

The precision disciplines lay a rock-solid foundation for shooting technique. Back in the days before the big money shooting schools, the books on combat shooting all gave the same advice - shoot bullseye for a year. Get to the point where you can reliably put shots onto a 24 inch target at 50 yards with one hand. Then you can go in different directions.

Joshua

Jan 5, 2015
    Delta fish and game in PA does Pistol competions last saturday of every month and its easy going with alot of people willing to help you out

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Hey Joe!
    Thanks so much! I'm still looking for a 0.22LR and definitely interested in doing some of these matches. Unfortunately- I'm headed up to the USPSA Match on Sunday; I'll try to catch one soon though :)
    Thanks;
    Lori
    Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick has 2 rimfire friendly steel matches that allow both rifles and pistols. Speed Steel on the second Saturday of the month which is similar to Steel Challenge (5 steel targets, 5 runs, and count the best 4) except that only Stage 5 is the same every month. The other is Rimfire Falling Steel on the 2nd Sunday of the month where you shoot 8 or 9 knockdown Rimfire targets and are limited to 10 rounds total.
    We also have a place for Rimfire handguns in our bowling pin match on the 3rd Saturday of the month.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    Not trying to be a pain, but I'm not a big fan of 22lr pistols. They jam all the time and didn't really prepare me for shooting a 9mm cartridge. I go out with new shooters that can be very accurate with a 22lr but can't hit anything with a 9mm. I was the same way. I know there are a bunch of really good 22lr shooters that love shooting rim fire but if you want to do 2-gun, 3-gun, steel challenge, uspsa, idpa... why not learn how to shoot a 9mm? I can see the 45 caliber shooters rolling their eyes and saying why not shoot 45's. Not trying to start anything here. Just saying, most action competitions start with a 9mm. Now I am going to duck for the incoming responses.

Just bob and weave a little. The best way to gain accuracy is shooting a .22 rifle or pistol because you don't have to deal with recoil like you do with a centerfire firearm. Also develops better trigger control for the same reason. Then transitioning to centerfire works a lot better because your fundamentals are good.
    As a serious rimfire competitor my firearms sometimes go a year or two without getting even a dud round, provided you use quality ammo and have your firearm setup properly. also when you buy a rimfire firearm you need to shoot 500 rounds minimum thru it just the break it in, preferably high velocity (CCI MiniMags, Federal 550 bulk, etc.) before you even consider whether its reliable or not. If you limp wrist a rimfire you will get problems even with good firearms. Eliminating that will also help when you shoot centerfire by helping to establish a firm grip.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    I'm in Boonsboro but not LOL my address says Boonsboro but I'm right by the Washington Ag center more like Fairplay :)

Come down this weekend and shoot at the Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. I will be shooting both Speed Steel and Rimfire Steel on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Range is off Linganore Road, safety briefing is at 9:45 AM and shooting starts at 10. Since I am having knee surgery this month I am trying to get in as much shooting as I can before hand. And I can hang around after the match if you would like some pointers and practice. Guest shooters only pay $5 per gun for a match (max is 2 usually). I generally shoot 2 guns in both matches and in Speed Steel I either shoot 2 rimfires or one rimfire and one centerfire. Divisions in Speed Steel are Unlimited and Stock Auto, Unlimited and Stock Revolver, Unlimited and Stock Rimfire Pistol or Revolver and Carbine which is any semi-auto or lever-action rimfire rifle.
    Bring plenty of ammo as targets can be either big or small.
    Send me a PM if you can make it so the MD will know you are my guest for the match.

photoracer

Competition Shooter
    Oct 22, 2010
    West Virginia
    This will make me unpopular, but here goes....

Get a decent .22 pistol. Shoot bullseye matches (NRA Conventional Pistol). The 12th Precinct Pistol Club, just south of Annapolis, has monthly matches and a league.

The precision disciplines lay a rock-solid foundation for shooting technique. Back in the days before the big money shooting schools, the books on combat shooting all gave the same advice - shoot bullseye for a year. Get to the point where you can reliably put shots onto a 24 inch target at 50 yards with one hand. Then you can go in different directions.

This is good advice. It also determined what kind of shooting I was best suited for in my case. I found I could shoot higher relay scores the faster I went. My first ones in the 90's were shot in rapid fire. And I was consistently higher in the rapid-fire stages, a little less in the timed-fire and worst in the slow-fire. But I got to the point I could do 540-560/600 in about a year. But I decided then and there that my shooting destiny was in action shooting. But to this day I can stick the heavy barrel on my Buckmark and shoot a run in the 94-98 range for our club Family Day match with no practice at whatever speed I feel comfortable.

Come down this weekend and shoot at the Monocacy Pistol Club in Frederick. I will be shooting both Speed Steel and Rimfire Steel on Saturday and Sunday respectively. Range is off Linganore Road, safety briefing is at 9:45 AM and shooting starts at 10. Since I am having knee surgery this month I am trying to get in as much shooting as I can before hand. And I can hang around after the match if you would like some pointers and practice. Guest shooters only pay $5 per gun for a match (max is 2 usually). I generally shoot 2 guns in both matches and in Speed Steel I either shoot 2 rimfires or one rimfire and one centerfire. Divisions in Speed Steel are Unlimited and Stock Auto, Unlimited and Stock Revolver, Unlimited and Stock Rimfire Pistol or Revolver and Carbine which is any semi-auto or lever-action rimfire rifle.
    Bring plenty of ammo as targets can be either big or small.
    Send me a PM if you can make it so the MD will know you are my guest for the match.

Thanks for the very generous offer! Unfortunately; I have a dog seminar this weekend and can't make it- but please let me know when the next event is; I'd love to come and watch and learn!

Lpeck34

May 13, 2018
    I'm also interested in competitive pistol shooting and looking for a league. Frederick the only place?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    angel45z

Latest threads

Top Bottom