• Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Should I legally be allowed to purchase 9mm ammo for my rifle at the age of 20?

• Total voters

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    I am a 20 years old. Today I went to purchase ammo for my 9mm carbine rifle at the Germantown#2357 store. I have purchased my ammo from multiple Walmart stores in the area but never this one. After waiting for 30min for assistance in the sporting good section, I finally received help. The women assisting me was very kind and helpful. But when she wrung my purchase up and checked my ID. She denied my purchase of the 9mm ammo. She stated that I was 20 and that 9mm was a hand gun ammo. I kindle responded that is was for a 9mm Carbine Rifle and that I was able to show proof of ownership if needed. She still was adamant of her denial of purchase. I kindly asked for a manger. I stated to him federal law was long gun ammo is 18+ and handgun ammo is 21+ he agreed but stood by his employee and denied the sale as well.

Ive been to the Walmart in Mt Airy and have never denied me purchasing 9mm ammo for my rifle. If anything they would ask for some proof of ownership of the weapon.

I may stand corrected, but am I in the right or wrong?

KMA

Jan 17, 2010
    harford county
    Lesson number one always buy gun stuff from a gun shop. You can't expect a person who sells toilet paper one day and ammo the next to know the answers to questions like that. I do give kudos to the walmart employees for sticking to their store policy and not trying to make up the rules as they go.It's better to lose a sale then end up with an ammo log that list every customer who wants to buy ammo.

fivepointstar

Thank you MD-Goodbye
    Apr 28, 2008
    3rd Rock from the Sun
    unfortunately a business has the right to deny the sale. if you don't like the way they handle business then you should shop someplace else.

but I agree that 9mm should be sold.

ADR

Ultimate Member
    Aug 17, 2011
    I've never been carded for ammo in any WalMart but then again, I'm twice your age. I also remember buying ammo at the hardware store across from my grandfather's farm when I was no older than 10 without so much as a glance from the salesperson, but times have changed.

In my personal opinion, they were probably playing a game of better safe than sorry and with the economy/job situation being what it is it's kind of hard to fault them for that. You might have been inconvenienced by not being able to purchase ammo but that clerk might have been thinking about how she would be able to put food on the table if she made a mistake and lost her job.

lostsole

Feb 28, 2011
    North West Balto Co
    You should have asked when they were getting in the rifle 9mm. The Pikesville, Elkridge, Mt Airy, Frederick and Putty Hill (Towson) Walmarts all ask "pistol or rifle" but don't seem to care one way or the other. I think it just comes down to who is on a power trip.

Bob1911

Feb 1, 2011
    Crook Co IL
    This is the reason that I started realoding. I shot a pistol on the farm I grew up in MI and was always out of ammo. I discovered reloading components were not regulated (at least at that time) and it was satisfying to "roll your own". Cheaper too. :D

aquaman

Ultimate Member
    Sep 21, 2008
    Belcamp, MD
    Write (NOT EMAIL) Wal Mart corporate/district manager/customer relations etc and explain your position and make sure you tell them you are a regular customer. No retail chain wants to piss off a customer. Emails dont carry as much weight as a written letter, you might be surprised by the response. Until you do this you have no right to complain on MDS about this. Do what I said and then get back to us.

ianmcall

Sep 21, 2011
    Damascus, MD
    Write (NOT EMAIL) Wal Mart corporate/district manager/customer relations etc and explain your position and make sure you tell them you are a regular customer. No retail chain wants to piss off a customer. Emails dont carry as much weight as a written letter, you might be surprised by the response. Until you do this you have no right to complain on MDS about this. Do what I said and then get back to us.

Already wrote the letter it goes in the mail tomorrow morning. :)
    I'll be sure to give an update if and when I get a reply back.

zombiehunter

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2008
    It's completely legal for you to buy 9mm for a rifle. But, in this litigious society I completely see Walmart's side. It's a huge ass covering move but it is the reality. I'd just go in again and ask for the 9mm rifle ammo lol, confuse them from the get go. Or...use the internet.

THier

R.I.P.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 3, 2010
    Muscleville
    I'm 46 now,,, and I can remember a LONGGGGGGGGGG time ago catching hell for trying to buy .22LR rounds for my 'coon rifle,,, not sure if was the law back then,,, bit I do remember there being signs about selling pistol calibers to those under 21. Now,, do I feel it is right,,, NO,,, is it the law? I think it is now a law.

So now I have to ask,,,, why can we send 18yr olds to fight wars,, with pistols and even cooler weapons,,, but then tell those same fighting men and women they can't buy pistol rounds at home.?

Tom

itsslow98

Ultimate Member
    Nov 8, 2010
    Harford County, MD
    IMO you buying a box of 9mm wouldn't be worth me losing my job. I can see both sides but I think you don't see where they are coming from. Just because you had people sell you 9mm without a worry doesn't mean that everythign is as willing to be talked into a sale that COULD make them lose their job.

Until you turn 21 buy from a firearms retailer like many of the vendors here.

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Lucky you, you got a Walmart employee that knows just a little bit about guns. Enough to know that 9mm is usually used in handguns.
    Covering her butt took a higher priority than making the sale.:sad20:

Last edited:

SCARCQB

Get Opp my rawn, Plick!
    Jun 25, 2008
    Undisclosed location
    Wrong IMO.... The law is stupid but it is what it is. 9mm is considered handgun ammo.

I agree....

9mm, 45, 40SW,38, 357, 44 ( calibers that walmart stocks) are considered handgun ammunition. the 22LR is the only one that does not get the " pistol ammo category"

They do it that way to keep things simple and error on the side of caution.

As for the OP, Enjoy your youth. Think about it, sooner, you will be old for the rest of your life and getting carded is something to be proud of.

I used to work in the area, several years ago.. they did not even carry ammo at that store.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom