• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    I was rummaging through some boxes my late father had in the attic and came across four USGI M1911 magazines. Two are all parkerized/phosphated and have an "R" stamped on the toe of the floorplate, while the other two are two-toned WWI-era mags. One of these has a small "A" stamped on the toe, and the other has a "B." I did some Google research and found that the two WWI mags are more desirable than average.

Now, all of these mags have fairly light surface rust in some places. Should I gently clean the rust off or leave them be? I was planning on selling them as I don't have a 1911 (although I was considering buying a USGI model just because I have the mags now :D), but I don't want to ruin them cleaning them up in any event.

Are the WWI mags more desirable to collectors? The internet seems to say so and you know everything is true there...:sad20:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    I have two from my service time. I never carried a 1911 in service, got them from my friend as he was the battalion armor. I'd just wipe them with a small amount of oil.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Rust never sleeps.

I use Eezox and fine steel wool to get rid of as much red rust as possible on various steel objects. It acts both as a solvent and a corrosion preventive.

Jul 1, 2012
    Don't use steel or bronze wool on phosphate or parkerized surfaces, it can mess it up (been there, tested that).
    Always start out with the least invasive "soft" method (e.g. soaking in oil for a while and a soft cloth and/or toothbrush) :)

Best bet may be just to sell them as-is and not run the risk of dicking them up by accident.
    Just a quick wipe with a cloth soaked in oil won't hurt anything and may get enough off to make them presentable.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Don't use steel or bronze wool on phosphate or parkerized surfaces, it can mess it up (been there, tested that).
    Always start out with the least invasive "soft" method (e.g. soaking in oil for a while and a soft cloth and/or toothbrush) :)

Didn't know that.

Fortunately, my eezox scrub has to date only been used on old swords and such, far from blued or parkerised surfaces. Thanks for the info.

Your mag marked with a "B" is manufactured by Barnes & Kobert, fairly common post WWI mag.

Your mag marked with a small "a" is manufactured by American Pin Company, a VERY rare WWI M1911 magazine.....................it's worth some bucks, Dude!

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Your mag marked with a "B" is manufactured by Barnes & Kobert, fairly common post WWI mag.

Your mag marked with a small "a" is manufactured by American Pin Company, a VERY rare WWI M1911 magazine.....................it's worth some bucks, Dude!

I saw that for the American Pin mag, with some people wanting over $100 for one. I personally think that's crazy.

I was thinking of throwing them up on the Classifieds this weekend, as I don't need them.

chooks9

Bear with Arms
    Jan 3, 2013
    Abingdon
    Here's an image. They are, from left to right, marked R, R, B, A. One of the Risdon mags is also marked C-R on the bottom of the toe. They were sitting in a box of junk for a long time (35+ years) but seem to function fine.

This is the worst side of each mag.

Attachments

• IMG_5496.jpg
      IMG_5496.jpg
      79 KB · Views: 154

willtill

The Dude Abides
    MDS Supporter
    May 15, 2007
    If those were my magazines, I'd just disassemble them (if possible); steel wool the hell out of them and then reblue 'em.

For the purists; I am aware that it would diminish the intrinsic value of them; but then again I am not a collector just for retaining that value. I restore my collection to the correct aesthetics of the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom