• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    But you can buy an AK pistol. Because it's different?? Maryland, it's stupid here!

No. It makes perfect sense. Even as a pistol it won’t be used in crimes because it’s too big to conceal. No good reason to regulate a pistol that isn’t used to kill people.

As a rifle it is an “assault rifle”. It’s banned.

Duh.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    It was built in Belgium for the Austrian military. The Belgians call it a "Light Automatic Rifle" or FAL. The Austrians call it the "Sturmgewehr 58"or StG58. I could go on but, at this point, it should be readily apparent that a discussion of what truly is and is not an assault rifle can get complicated and bogged down very quickly; especially if you are dealing with someone who is very technical and nerdy.

FAL is not technically an assault rifle, as it is full power rifle cartridge, even though the military versions were selective fire.

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    The Austrian government would disagree with you and I think the Germans would have too when discussing both their G1 and G3. At the time of its adoption, the 7.62x51 was not considered a full power cartridge. It was the less powerful replacement for the full power 7.62x63 cartridge. I mean absolutely no disrespect Pinecone when I say that this discussion is exactly what I meant when I wrote the ending to post #33. IMO, as good a cartridge as the x51 is, it was the wrong way to go. The 7.92 Kurz was the better round for European combat and it was the way things were headed until we (the US) started throwing our weight around. Both the FAL and the G3 would have been generally better rifles for the infantry had they used that round. I'm too tired and uninterested to debate though so you can make of my thoughts what you will.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Actually , the 7.62x51 was a full power ctg .

The original concept was to duplicate the original .30-06 performance circa 1906, which it did, supposedly exceeding it by 8 ftlb ( meaningless compared to lot to lot variations ).

The later .30cal M1 and M2 were slightly hotter , rated at 2656-2675 ft lb . But then the 7.62 M118 stepped up to 2586 ftlb . Less than 100ftlb difference, and slow lots of '06 and fast lots of M118 probably overlapped .

Now the dimensionally identical 1st Gen 7.62 CETME was loaded mildly , but 2nd and subequent generations of CETME rifles used standard NATO 7.62x51 ammo .

And under the original meaning of Intermeadate Pressure , the 7.62x51 is definitely a full power and not intermeadate .

Now yes , in civilian ammo and published handloading data , the '06 definitely has more horsepower potential than .308 , the '06 was held down to conform to Garand friendly pressure curves . ( Not that anyone on the receiving end could tell the difference between '06, 7.62x51 , 7.62x54R, .303, 8x57 , 7.65x53 , and several others .)

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    Yeap, FAL is a BATTLE rifle, not an ASSAULT rifle. As was the M-14.

7.62x51 was never an intermediate power cartridge.

ras_oscar

Ultimate Member
    Apr 23, 2014
    I think the point of the original post is from a MARYLAND LAW perspective, an assault rifle is one that is banned by name in the regulation. The regulation has also been administratively clarified to define a copycat as any weapon that has 100% interchangeable parts with a weapon banned by name. IMHO this was intended to thwart circumventing the ban by renaming the same weapon to something else.

I also think that the banners have associated the prefix AR (as in AR 15) with Assault Rifle. We need to keep remind anyone that will stand still long enough that the AR prefix came from the original platform manufacturer, Armalite.

Bigtex

Sep 11, 2018
    Laurel, Md.
    As far as i know only AK pistols are being sold now and the AR’s are still being LEGALLY sold so I’m not sure what you’re reading but it sounds silly. Not that any of this makes sense.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom