• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Screwtop.243

Ouch...that thing kicks
    Jul 7, 2011
    People's republic of MD
    Glad I hung on to that M70B1 O-Pap I bought in 2009. BTW - I have a faded pink copy of the 4473 from that purchase. I wonder how one might go about proving that they possessed the rifle before 10/1/13 if they did not have some kind of documentation? Seems like the burden of proof would be the owner. Doubt the MSP would be taking anyone's word for it.

kaliroger

Jul 20, 2018
    Frederick County, MD
    You need to go to a gun store in MD, you will be surprised at what you can and cannot buy!)
    And none of it will make any logical sense, because its all decided by idiot politicians that we put in office!(

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    There is no such thing as an assault rifle.

I'm not sure about that exactly........

"The term assault rifle is generally attributed to Adolf Hitler, who for propaganda purposes used the German word "Sturmgewehr" (which translates to "assault rifle"), as the new name for the MP43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44 or StG 44" [6][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] (several references cited on original source)

"The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[16] In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[2][3][4]

It must be capable of selective fire.
    It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle, such as the 7.92×33mm Kurz, the 7.62x39mm and the 5.56x45mm NATO.
    Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.[5]
    It must have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)." ( same source with multiple references)

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    I'm not allowed to sell you this in this state under any circumstances:

But this is fine (minus the 30 round magazine which you CAN own in this state and I CAN give to you in another state ):

And I can sell you this too in a private sale with absolutely no paperwork involved:

That's marylifornia for you.

Last edited:

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    Is there such a thing as an "Assault Rifle"? Are there any rifles actually named "Assault Rifle"? I don't know of any.

HeatSeeker

Ultimate Member
    Jun 18, 2012
    Maryland
    I'm not sure about that exactly........

"The term assault rifle is generally attributed to Adolf Hitler, who for propaganda purposes used the German word "Sturmgewehr" (which translates to "assault rifle"), as the new name for the MP43, subsequently known as the Sturmgewehr 44 or StG 44" [6][8][9][10][11][12][13][14] (several references cited on original source)

"The U.S. Army defines assault rifles as "short, compact, selective-fire weapons that fire a cartridge intermediate in power between submachine gun and rifle cartridges."[16] In a strict definition, a firearm must have at least the following characteristics to be considered an assault rifle:[2][3][4]

It must be capable of selective fire.
    It must have an intermediate-power cartridge: more power than a pistol but less than a standard rifle or battle rifle, such as the 7.92×33mm Kurz, the 7.62x39mm and the 5.56x45mm NATO.
    Its ammunition must be supplied from a detachable box magazine.[5]
    It must have an effective range of at least 300 metres (330 yards)." ( same source with multiple references)
    Does the US Army actually call it or have named it an Assault Rifle?

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Of these four rifles, only the one on the extreme left is an "assault rifle":

Generally, the term "assault rifle" has become a pejorative used in this country by libtards to single out rifles that they find scary and/or evil. However, it can be a true and proper description for other postwar rifles depending on the country of origin. Take, for example, this rifle:

It was built in Belgium for the Austrian military. The Belgians call it a "Light Automatic Rifle" or FAL. The Austrians call it the "Sturmgewehr 58"or StG58. I could go on but, at this point, it should be readily apparent that a discussion of what truly is and is not an assault rifle can get complicated and bogged down very quickly; especially if you are dealing with someone who is very technical and nerdy.

Last edited:

Combloc

Stop Negassing me!!!!!
    Nov 10, 2010
    In a House
    Let me further muddy the waters by giving one last example. :D IMO, while what is and is not an assault rifle can be debated ad nauseum, ONE trait that a true assault rile MUST possess is the capability of fully automatic fire. So, this is an assault rifle:

This is not:

Clear as mud?? :thumbsup: If you are astute, you will see the point I am making with this example.

Last edited:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Docster laid it out well in post #24 .

The main " controversy" is around the word " Medium" or "intermeadate " . Way back in the day , refered to intermeadate * pressure * ctgs , back when .mil ctgs were generally .30- 323 - ish in dia . The modern era proliferation of .22-ish mil ctgs are potentially ambiguous , in that they have the controlability charistics desired in classic assault rifles, yet longer distance capabilities than required .

On the flip side , a strong case can be made for the M2 Carbine to retroactively be considered the first US assault rifle , albeit it's stretching a bit to be considered 300m rifle .

stringer bell

Aug 20, 2014
    Purchasing an AK-47 in Maryland. My understanding is that this is illegal. In reading the laws I see there are exceptions in the Maryland Code to the assault gun prohibition.

(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long
    gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:
    (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon;

I also see this.

(2) A licensed firearms dealer may continue to possess, sell, offer for sale, or transfer an assault long gun or a copycat
    weapon that the licensed firearms dealer lawfully possessed on or before October 1, 2013.

Does that mean he can sell it to someone in Maryland? I would think not.

Most AK variants are legal in the State of Maryland
    All AK74's(5.45)
    All AK101's(5.56)
    All AKX's (9mm)
    All VEPR's (308/54)
    SBR/FA/Pistol Ak47's(7.62)

the only variant that can not be sold is Maryland is a standard AK47 variant with a barrel longer than 16 inches.

Docster

Ultimate Member
    Jul 19, 2010
    Is there such a thing as an "Assault Rifle"? Are there any rifles actually named "Assault Rifle"? I don't know of any.

They have a distinct definition of the entity. They may or may not publicly tell anyone, but here's some more references

http://www.military-today.com/firearms/top_10_assault_rifles.htm

https://www.popularmechanics.com/military/weapons/a25974/now-its-the-army-that-wants-a-new-rifle/

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your...ide-the-army-s-plan-to-ditch-the-m4-and-5-56/

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom