• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Purchasing an AK-47 in Maryland. My understanding is that this is illegal. In reading the laws I see there are exceptions in the Maryland Code to the assault gun prohibition.

(3) A person who lawfully possessed, has a purchase order for, or completed an application to purchase an assault long
    gun or a copycat weapon before October 1, 2013, may:
    (i) possess and transport the assault long gun or copycat weapon;

I also see this.

(2) A licensed firearms dealer may continue to possess, sell, offer for sale, or transfer an assault long gun or a copycat
    weapon that the licensed firearms dealer lawfully possessed on or before October 1, 2013.

Does that mean he can sell it to someone in Maryland? I would think not.

alucard0822

For great Justice
    Oct 29, 2007
    PA
    When it comes to crimes that can involve jail time, best to talk to a lawyer instead of confessing on a public forum. Nobody here will advocate for breaking a law, but there are a few that can appear to be a banned rifle, but are not functionally copies, and are lawful to buy, again talk to a lawyer.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    There's a couple that are fine that do resemble an AK. There's the VZ-58, and a few others in different calibers that are legal.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    OK, well I guess what I'm after is if a dealer in Maryland has an AK-47 that he obtained before Oct 2013 and he is legal to sell it, he would not be able to sell it in Maryland?

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland
    No ak47 rifle can be sold in Maryland. A dealer can sell to an out of state resident via an ffl in that state. If you possess an ak47 rifle before 10/2013 you can keep it. But again, you cannot sell it to any resident of Maryland.

Shooter56, if you live in Maryland and want an ak47 rifle. You sir, are out luck.

Last edited:

DC-W

Ultimate Member
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 23, 2013
    ️‍
    Cannot legally purchase an semi-auto AK47 rifle in Maryland and nowhere else as a Maryland resident.

shooter56

Aug 28, 2015
    Ok, thanks all for that. It ain't for me. I have no desire for an AK-47. This was to confirm what I told someone else about it being illegal to purchase one in Maryland. I do have firearms but I'm an air gunner. Target shoot every day with one. Fun, accurate, very quiet and the one I have is suitable for small game hunting. Thanks again.

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012
    OK, well I guess what I'm after is if a dealer in Maryland has an AK-47 that he obtained before Oct 2013 and he is legal to sell it, he would not be able to sell it in Maryland?

Dealers (ie FFL holders) can buy anything they want, including an AK-47. They just can't sell it in MD. They'd have to transfer it out of state or sell via Gunbroker, etc. So a local dealer can help with an estate, for example, even if there are non-MD legal guns involved.

pbharvey

Habitual Testifier
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    Can you buy a properly NFA registered fully automatic AK-47 in Maryland or is it too killy?

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    There is no such thing as an assault rifle.

Actually, there is but it has a very specific definition: select fire.

There is no such thing as an "assault weapon" that is a made-up term to make scary looking semiauto rifles seem more scary to the uninformed. Both terms have been highly co-opted by the Official Propaganda Department of the Demonrat Party, aka mainstream media.

JTH20

Feb 18, 2013
    MD
    The irony is that a real AK-47 assault rifle is MD legal, but a sporting rifle dressed like one is banned.

ShafTed

Ultimate Member
    Mar 21, 2013
    Juuuuust over the line
    It's also very interesting that a Mini14 with a "traditional" stock is the symbol of truth, justice, and the Maryland way but spend 5 minutes with a screwdriver and put a folding stock ON THE SAME RIFLE and it will instantly destroy every puppy and butterfly in a 5 mile radius.

This is what happens when you get idiots writing laws about things of which they know absolutely nothing.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013

No, it may not be transferred after 9/30/13.

The dealer can keep it, or sell it out of state. Same as if you purchased one before 10/2/13.

A dealer can still get one, but they cannot sell it in state or to an MD resident.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    It's also very interesting that a Mini14 with a "traditional" stock is the symbol of truth, justice, and the Maryland way but spend 5 minutes with a screwdriver and put a folding stock ON THE SAME RIFLE and it will instantly destroy every puppy and butterfly in a 5 mile radius.

This is what happens when you get idiots writing laws about things of which they know absolutely nothing.

And in some popular video games, its also a sniper rifle. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom