• j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    Congrats to all who have filled a tag.

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Suggestions on what to do if I bust a deer where I was going to put a stand up? Put my stand up anyway figuring it might come back later in the day? Or find somewhere else? Yesterday nothing came through in the evening, but I did bump a big doe about 30yds from where I ended up setting up my stand at 3pm. Earliest I could get there after work.
    Depends on if you’re in an area where deer frequently encounter humans. They’ll flee, the come back once they feel comfortable again. If you’re out where deer rarely encounter humans, then you probably won’t see that particular deer again for a while. Busting a doe won’t hurt, busting a big buck will make you sad, because he won’t be back for a long time. On the other hand, if that’s somewhere that one deer was comfortable being, other deer will probably filter in as well. You won’t empty your herd, but you might spook that one particular one. Hang your stand and shoot the next one.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Depends on if you’re in an area where deer frequently encounter humans. They’ll flee, the come back once they feel comfortable again. If you’re out where deer rarely encounter humans, then you probably won’t see that particular deer again for a while. Busting a doe won’t hurt, busting a big buck will make you sad, because he won’t be back for a long time. On the other hand, if that’s somewhere that one deer was comfortable being, other deer will probably filter in as well. You won’t empty your herd, but you might spook that one particular one. Hang your stand and shoot the next one.

^^^Good advise.:thumbsup:

remrug

Ultimate Member
    Mar 13, 2009
    manchester md
    Suggestions on what to do if I bust a deer where I was going to put a stand up? Put my stand up anyway figuring it might come back later in the day? Or find somewhere else? Yesterday nothing came through in the evening, but I did bump a big doe about 30yds from where I ended up setting up my stand at 3pm. Earliest I could get there after work.

I was Spring turkey hunting in Western Md a few years ago.Around 11am a guy walks through the area where I was expecting turkeys to come from.I thought all was lost but not enough time to get to another area I stayed put.About 15 mins later a turkey(hen) came right through the same spot where the other guy walked through.

If it can happen with turkeys,it can happen with deer

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    Okay, thanks! I suspect just a windy day with the movement happening mid day when I was busy working. Pretty sure it is a good travel corridor. Right by a creek. Several parallel deer trails through the woods and crossing the pipeline all within about 60yds of each other. I shot a spike there start of his season. Saw a huge doe just out of crossbow range a few weeks ago. My neighbor saw another (same?) doe that general area, out of his range last weekend. I saw that one now a couple of days ago. He shot a spike there last year during the rut and saw a couple of other deer that didn’t present a shot that same day.

I probably just need to plant my butt there 45 minutes before first light and at some point something is going to walk by (hopefully in range).

newmuzzleloader

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 14, 2009
    joppa
    Deer are funny, last yr my boy and I saw all kind of deer travelling in the late afternoon/evening but out of bow range. This yr same place same time with 2 different stands overlooking the corridor the deer are few and far between. One stand has been in the area for yrs I just turned it to face the woods, the other is new and about 100 yds upstream overlooking a corn pile The only other difference is this yr beans are in the field whereas last yr there was corn up.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Deer are funny, last yr my boy and I saw all kind of deer travelling in the late afternoon/evening but out of bow range. This yr same place same time with 2 different stands overlooking the corridor the deer are few and far between. One stand has been in the area for yrs I just turned it to face the woods, the other is new and about 100 yds upstream overlooking a corn pile The only other difference is this yr beans are in the field whereas last yr there was corn up.

I saw my first deer yesterday at 11am. Didn't see another one until after 3. Saw 4 bucks at that time. Seems like south winds always screw up deer movement where I hunt. Anyone else notice? :shrug:

akalma

MDS Supporter
    Nov 24, 2008
    МоКо
    I saw my first deer yesterday at 11am. Didn't see another one until after 3. Saw 4 bucks at that time. Seems like south winds always screw up deer movement where I hunt. Anyone else notice? :shrug:
    I saw the same, only one massive buck at 9am and no other deer movement at all. Usually I see plenty of them far away on other properties. Central MoCo.

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I saw the same, only one massive buck at 9am and no other deer movement at all. Usually I see plenty of them far away on other properties. Central MoCo.
    Yeah, I'm in the Poolesville/ Dickerson area.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Neot

Ultimate Member
    Mar 11, 2009
    South County
    Heading out tomorrow morning. My buddy who killed that 13 pointer said he's got a big 8 and a big 6 coming in most mornings to his hunting property and offered to let me use it. Gonna hopefully give one a dirt nap tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    Heading out tomorrow morning. My buddy who killed that 13 pointer said he's got a big 8 and a big 6 coming in most mornings to his hunting property and offered to let me use it. Gonna hopefully give one a dirt nap tomorrow morning.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Good luck tomorrow!

engineerbrian

JMB fan club
    Sep 3, 2010
    Fredneck
    Holy cow the deer were out tonight!!! Seems like every field i drove past had a heard of deer in it.

I wasnt counting but i bet i saw close to 50 deer

rgramjet

Ultimate Member
    Jan 25, 2009
    Howard County
    Last nights buck. Maybe 10 minutes of shooting light left then this guy sauntered up.

Shot him at ~60 yards with the 1895G.

He hopped straight up and kicked before running. Didnt see a single drop of blood for 30 yards. Then saw a small tree that he ran into with a large splat. Followed the drops from there, dreading the super steep ravine that he was heading towards. Found him about 10 yards down the face with a hoof lodged in between two saplings. If not for that, he would have tumbled end over end to the bottom about 300' down.

Lucky day!

Attachments

• 20171118_175406.jpg
      20171118_175406.jpg
      86.2 KB · Views: 216

AlBeight

MDS Supporter
    Mar 30, 2017
    Hampstead
    Last nights buck. Maybe 10 minutes of shooting light left then this guy sauntered up.

He hopped straight up and kicked before running. Didnt see a single drop of blood for 30 yards. Then saw a small tree that he ran into with a large splat. Followed the drops from there, dreading the super steep ravine that he was heading towards. Found him about 10 yards down the face with a hoof lodged in between two saplings. If not for that, he would have tumbled end over end to the bottom about 300' down.

Lucky day!
    Pretty buck. Congratulations. That is a steep hill, almost looks upside down....:innocent0

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    Got one this morning around 4am!!!!!!!!!

stupid bitch didnt have the courtesy of landing in the bed of my truck :lol2:

Racer Doug14

Thread killer
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Feb 22, 2013
    Millers Maryland

Lucky day!
    1895g rifle? You on a CDP? Nice buck btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom