• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KH195

Ultimate Member
    Jan 10, 2013
    Virginia
    Got this from my Dad and would like to know more about it. From the serial number, 477828, it looks like it would be a Military 3rd variant. The magazine doesn't have any markings on the bottom and I was wondering if it would be the original? No holster unfortunately, but the pistol seems to be in decent condition. Not sure where the original grips are, but I was told they were broken and the walnut grips were put on. Would it be worth it to get the repro grips from eBay or leave well enough alone?

Thanks guys!
    Dave

Very nice late war 38H! You’re correct it’s military marked (I can see the eagle/37 marking on the trigger guard) and 3rd variation. That magazine is correct for a late war gun. As for the grips, if it were mine I’d either leave well enough alone (those don’t actually look too bad at all) or track down an original set to bring it back to its original glory. Finish on the gun looks really nice though so either way it’s a great gun! I have one not terribly far from yours in the 476xxx serial range.

Attachments

• 79F75C1A-3D84-42D2-89EE-E99D57970F83.jpeg
      79F75C1A-3D84-42D2-89EE-E99D57970F83.jpeg
      93.1 KB · Views: 194

metalman3006

Gun Hoarder
    Sep 6, 2007
    Church Hill, MD
    mine

Attachments

• DSCN0011.JPG
      DSCN0011.JPG
      47.9 KB · Views: 185
    • DSCN0010.JPG
      DSCN0010.JPG
      40.2 KB · Views: 192
    • DSCN0004.JPG
      DSCN0004.JPG
      23.1 KB · Views: 195
    • DSCN0005.JPG
      DSCN0005.JPG
      19 KB · Views: 187
    • DSCN0006.JPG
      DSCN0006.JPG
      6.9 KB · Views: 190
    • DSCN0012.JPG
      DSCN0012.JPG
      34.5 KB · Views: 187
    • DSCN0002.JPG
      DSCN0002.JPG
      11.5 KB · Views: 184
    • DSCN0007.JPG
      DSCN0007.JPG
      12.2 KB · Views: 185

Dawson9a

Jul 1, 2013
    So.. I ordered a set of grips from the recommended Czech guy and finally got them. One fit and the other didn't He send some pics of where I needed to file things down on the grip itself to make it work.

Did anyone who bought these have the same issue? The Czech guy said it was common and works fine after filing the grip.

Thoughts??

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    So.. I ordered a set of grips from the recommended Czech guy and finally got them. One fit and the other didn't He send some pics of where I needed to file things down on the grip itself to make it work.

Did anyone who bought these have the same issue? The Czech guy said it was common and works fine after filing the grip.

Thoughts??

I had issues with grips for a pre-war PPK. A half hour of cutting & scraping took care of the issue.

Original grips from the period are fragile and too expensive to risk using, sadly. One of my PPKs had originals, the other had a really trashy set of aftermarkets that I ditched as soon as I could get a decent replacement.)

I've been cruising for a commercial 38h for a while, but somehow availability of both gun and money never seem to coincide.

Jul 1, 2012

Thoughts??

It's common, and it'll work fine after you file the grip to fit :)

I've had to tweak both "NOS" and repro grips for various applications...
    It happens... not a big deal.

No personal experience w/38H repro grips but have seen similar comments from other collectors.
    I think there were several variations of the grips, so he probably just has repros of one type that may not fit all.

The originals are so fragile it's hard to find a pair "in the wild" that are undamaged, and if you do find 'em, definitely don't use them when/if you shoot the pistol.

Dawson9a

Jul 1, 2013
    Hey guys..
    Finally sat down to file the grip and got it to fit perfectly. That’s the good news. Now the bad news.. the screw no longer works. I guess the walnut grips were thinner where the screw goes in. I’ve tried to file some but didn’t want to go crazy.. and it still doesn’t fit. Any ideas on this?? Tried to find another pair of screws but I’d rather not spend another $25 or more for them. Any other screws that would work and are cheaper? I’ve read where the Browning HP screws would but need to be cut down.

Thanks!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Hey guys..
    Finally sat down to file the grip and got it to fit perfectly. That’s the good news. Now the bad news.. the screw no longer works. I guess the walnut grips were thinner where the screw goes in. I’ve tried to file some but didn’t want to go crazy.. and it still doesn’t fit. Any ideas on this?? Tried to find another pair of screws but I’d rather not spend another $25 or more for them. Any other screws that would work and are cheaper? I’ve read where the Browning HP screws would but need to be cut down.

Thanks!

I've had great success with using a tiny O-ring from Ace Hardware under the screw head. It effectively shortens the threaded length, and at the same time keeps the screw snug. Costs a dime or so.

Just take the screw with you, find the ring that fits the shaft. Snug fit is better than loose fit on the shaft.

Dawson9a

Jul 1, 2013
    So.. back on context... may I ask this again?

Thanks!

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Anyone??? What are my options here??

I was under the impression that the screw was too long for the new grip, which is where the O-ring would effectively shorten the screw.

If the opposite is true, perhaps the hole that will abut the screw head could be chamfered somethat to permit the threads to engage a bit deeper.

Aside from that, I have no solutions to offer.

Bob A

όυ φροντισ
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 11, 2009
    Anyone??? What are my options here??

I was under the impression that the screw was too long for the new grip, which is where the O-ring would effectively shorten the screw.

If the opposite is true, perhaps the hole that will abut the screw head could be chamfered somewhat to permit the threads to engage a bit deeper.

Aside from that, I have no solutions to offer.

Dawson9a

Jul 1, 2013
    No.. the original screws that I had on the walnut grips were too short for the repro grips from Vit / Czechoslovakia. They may just be worn. I ended up ordering new screws from grips4u.net.. $10 / pair. We'll see how well they work tonight. Most other places I've seen screws were over $20/$25 after s/h...

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Eric_Hehl

Latest threads

Top Bottom