• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • boule

Ultimate Member
    Oct 16, 2008
    Galt's Gulch
    I shot my 1943 Mosin using mil surplus 147gr copper washed steel core ammo. The problem is I had my shoulder operated on a few years ago and the recoil was too much.

Ah yes, sorry for me not noticing the thread earlier. I do believe that the usual proceeding for a dislocated shoulder due to recoil from a Mosin-Nagant is to fire off the rest of the rounds left in the magazine in order to set it.
    :innocent0

Now, speaking of the 7,62x54r - it is a great old cartridge but by modern standards certainly lacking in design and efficiacy. In other words, it is a rimmed design and thus a pain to keep in larger magazines. Additionally, it burns waaay too much powder in oder to accelerate the bullet.

This particular inefficient power use is one of the various reasons for the recoil: The relatively light rifle, standard-weight bullet travelling downrange and an additional strong gas jet all add up.
    If you want to reduce recoil, you need to either reduce bullet weight, gas generated or increase the weight of the Mosin.

Since you are not supposed to sporterize a Mosin-Nagant, you need to play around with your loads:

1) Subsonic loads or those close to it:
    - "The load" of 13gr of red dot behind an appropriate bullet (see previous posters)
    - Titegroup 8gr either with a 123-150gr bullet or an 180-200gr bullet. The lighter ones will be supersonic at ranges up to 100yds and then go transsonic (your milage may vary depending on barrel lengt/condition). 180gr and up will be subsonic from start out and relegate you to find "artillery settings" on your sight (600-800 arshini).
    - 7.5-8gr of bullseye should do the trick as well. Velocity with a 150gr softpoint was approx 1100fps out of an 91/30.

2) Reduced loads with fast powder
    These go fine with .311 bullets of 147/150 gr weight. You can get those in bulk for 7.62x39 applications either as jacketed bullets or, more economically, as copper plated cast lead bullets (xtreme, berry's)
    - TrailBoss: Easy peasy. Fill up your brass to the rim, weigh, take 2/3 of the weight as starting load. Should produce a nice tight group with both copper plated and jacketed bullets
    - Accurate 5744: Bulky fast burning powder originally designed for large bore cases like the 45-70 but works great as a reduced load. Start with 20-22gr and a 125-150gr bullet and work your way up. I have gotten good accuracy out of this powder with plated bullets.

3) Full-power loads with reduced weight bullets.
    These still have some kick since there is a cosiderable gas jet but you get less of an impulse from the bullet. Just pick any cheap jacketed bullet with .311 diameter and 123-125gr weight and load with your go-to powder. Bl-C2, IMR 4064 and Varget seem to be working fine. Load data can be found at your usual sources.

Since you are already experimenting with "the load", you will notice pretty soon that burning red dot, titegroup or bullseye in a rifle case is not a great idea if you have to clean it afterwards. :whip:
    You might want to try the fast powders (5744 or TrailBoss) as a second choice.

PMD354

I tried the 125 gr AK bullets with 13 gr of red dot. I could not hit a 12'' shoot and see target at 50 yards. I wound up getting a Past shoulder pad. I am amazed at how much that thing reduced felt recoil. I am now working with IMR 4895. 46-48 grains pushing a Hornady 150 gr FMJBT. Getting pretty good groups ar 100 yards.

PowPow

Where's the beef?
    Nov 22, 2012
    Howard County
    Thanks for the update. Slipping this over the end of the butt stock also works wonders. I think these are well worth the price. I have one on each of my Mosins.

https://www.amazon.com/Shooterpads-Recoil-Gel-Filled-Pads/dp/B00081Q7E4

I also use the following in addition to the above to increase the length of pull on them, since Mosins have a pretty short one. They might contribute a little to reducing felt recoil, but you gotta drill out of holes.

https://www.amazon.com/Sports-Nagant-1-Inch-Extended-Buttpad/dp/B003VPEBH4

toolness1

Ultimate Member
    Jan 5, 2014
    BFE, Missouri
    I found once fired 7.62x54r brass at www.diamondkbrass.com. I also got the berry bullets, 123 gr spire point, from the same site. He was selling the brass in lots of 25. I bought 5 bags. I was moaning when I was going through them. Some of the cases had dings in the neck and BIG dents between the neck and rim. After sorting them out I wound up with 160 good cases. My guess is he knew that some were damaged and threw in extra. I full lenght resized them. I then made "the load". 13 grs red dot. I have not made it to the range yet to see how they print.

As long as there's no sign of cracks or case head separation, I wouldn't hesitate to use dented brass with that light load. The dents will come right out.

I found that my Mosins liked 16-18gr of 2400 much more than the 13gr of Red Dot.

My favorite cast bullet rifle powder is Reloader 7 after lots of testing with MANY different powders.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom