• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    I have a Beretta CO2 pistol that fires eight shots rapid fire.

Does anyone know what the restrictions are in firing these things on one's own property are? I've got a good back stop and it doesn't make very much noise, which probably means it's a felony if you're caught shooting it in your back yard. Guess I could do it at night....

Thanks for any assistance!

erwos

The Hebrew Hammer
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 25, 2009
    Rockville, MD
    Air guns are treated the same as real guns under MoCo code. Ergo, if you can't shoot a .22 in your backyard, you can't shoot that, either.

Now, basement ranges are alright, so that may be an option.

Cold Steel

Sep 26, 2006
    Bethesda, MD
    Yes. Montgomery County as per the thread name.

Strange that they would make the shooting of an air pistol the same as shooting any other gun. The county makes it as difficult as they can to shoot any gun and of course the state is surrounded by other states, almost all of them, if not all, have Castle provisions. The one range I belonged to was too far out and you had to buy your ammo from them, at grossly overpriced...er...prices. And zoning laws prohibit the building of more ranges. Still, the liberal fascists insist that if people are going to have guns, they should know how to use them. Years ago, when areas in western Kentucky began to prohibit shooting in quarries and undeveloped state or local land, bullet holes began to mysteriously appear in stop signs and other signs along the road.

I love the South!

Big John

Mar 26, 2013
    It really depends where exactly in Montgomery County. See this map. The black line indicates the county line, and the blue line indicates (more or less) the urban area. In the urban area you cannot shoot an air rifle outdoors, even on your own property.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://sites.google.com/site/188laps/maps/Urban_bounds_v2.kml

To be clear, this doesn't suggest you can just be outside of the blue line and start shooting away. There are additional laws to consider...this just shows what the urban area is. There is more information about the concept of the urban area (as defined for purposes of shooting) on the MCPD website.

cad68m_m

Member MSI, SAF, NRA
    Nov 26, 2011
    Calvert
    It really depends where exactly in Montgomery County. See this map. The black line indicates the county line, and the blue line indicates (more or less) the urban area. In the urban area you cannot shoot an air rifle outdoors, even on your own property.

https://maps.google.com/maps?q=http://sites.google.com/site/188laps/maps/Urban_bounds_v2.kml

To be clear, this doesn't suggest you can just be outside of the blue line and start shooting away. There are additional laws to consider...this just shows what the urban area is. There is more information about the concept of the urban area (as defined for purposes of shooting) on the MCPD website.

WOW I did not realize how the so called urban area had grown since I was a MoCo resident in the 1970's.

jr88

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 7, 2011
    Free?? State
    If you are NOT in the Urban areas of MoCo you could shoot it with a few guidelines.
    In an Urban part of the county it can only be fired in your yard if "Killing a dangerous animal" or to "Defend your life or property". These could be viable reasons if the neighbors complained. You can also shoot in your basement or cellar "Range" without a problem. Here are the MoCo Laws:
    http://www6.montgomerycountymd.gov/content/ded/agservices/pdffiles/ch57_weapons.pdf

BTW, Very nice air pistol, I'm hoping Santa brings me one!

Kman

Blah, blah, blah
    Dec 23, 2010
    Eastern shore
    Air guns are treated the same as real guns under MoCo code. Ergo, if you can't shoot a .22 in your backyard, you can't shoot that, either.

Now, basement ranges are alright, so that may be an option.

The governmental stupidity of this makes my head hurt. :sad20:

outrider58

Eats Bacon Raw
    MDS Supporter
    Jul 29, 2014
    I always shot my .22 S&W pellet gun in my basement. You can buy or build a trap for it easy enough.

JoeRinMD

Rifleman
    Jul 18, 2008
    AA County
    I made one for my son and I to shoot in our basement. If you do a search on "duct seal pellet trap" you'll get a ton of ideas. Mine is a MDF box lined with duct seal. On the front face, I made a frame to hold 2 clipboards side-by-side. The clipboards, have the center of their masonite backing cut out so that they serve as the target holders. Mine looks like this...but double-wide:

Two-Classic-Traps-web.jpg

If you don't want to build one yourself, you can buy one from them directly:
    http://www.archerairguns.info/2012/09/in-fall-pellet-traps-spring-to-mind.html

JoeR

brownspotz

Ultimate Member
    Oct 22, 2013
    sorry, its marylandistan. even the mention of a "gun" gets the gungrabbing liberals stirred up.

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    Here's the pamphlet from Mo Co Police. Detailed map of the "urban area"

Attachments

• Mo Co weapons-law-brochure-on-line-format.pdf
      1.3 MB · Views: 461

fabsroman

Ultimate Member
    Mar 14, 2009
    Winfield/Taylorsville in Carroll
    Yes. Montgomery County as per the thread name.

Strange that they would make the shooting of an air pistol the same as shooting any other gun. The county makes it as difficult as they can to shoot any gun and of course the state is surrounded by other states, almost all of them, if not all, have Castle provisions. The one range I belonged to was too far out and you had to buy your ammo from them, at grossly overpriced...er...prices. And zoning laws prohibit the building of more ranges. Still, the liberal fascists insist that if people are going to have guns, they should know how to use them. Years ago, when areas in western Kentucky began to prohibit shooting in quarries and undeveloped state or local land, bullet holes began to mysteriously appear in stop signs and other signs along the road.

I love the South!

It varies by county. Howard County passed something in 2008 to prevent the use of air guns, spring loaded guns like nerf guns, etc. from being used anywhere in the county UNLESS you are under the age of 16 AND you take a safety course with the Howard County Police Department. No exception if you are over 16 years old. This stuff really is ludicrous. I have permission to hunt and shoot on a 120 acre farm down the road from me, but cannot even take my kids over there to shoot a pellet gun. INSANITY.

MJD438

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2012
    Somewhere in MD
    It varies by county. Howard County passed something in 2008 to prevent the use of air guns, spring loaded guns like nerf guns, etc. from being used anywhere in the county UNLESS you are under the age of 16 AND you take a safety course with the Howard County Police Department. No exception if you are over 16 years old. This stuff really is ludicrous. I have permission to hunt and shoot on a 120 acre farm down the road from me, but cannot even take my kids over there to shoot a pellet gun. INSANITY.
    Have a link to that, out of curiousity?

Disregard, I found it.

Sec. 8.402. - Carrying or discharging of guns by person under 16 years of age; penalty.

(a)

It shall be unlawful for any person under the age of 16 years not legally engaged in hunting game in that area not within the Metropolitan District to carry or discharge a gun whatsoever at any time within the County unless under the immediate supervision of a person 18 years of age or over at the time of shooting.

(b)

This section shall not apply to persons under 16 years of age carrying or discharging guns in areas not within the Metropolitan District which expel projectiles by gas, compressed air, spring or elastic power, where the persons have completed a course approved by the Department of Police in the safe operation of guns. The course completion shall be evidenced by a certificate to be issued by the Department of Police and shall be displayed upon reasonable demand by a Law Enforcement Officer.

(c)

A Law Enforcement Officer may impound the gun of any person who shall violate the provisions of this section.

(C.B. 33, 1976)

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom