Effect of modifications on resale value?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    In general , always inspect any firearm before laying down $ or signing forms . Make sure the model, variation, calibre, and s/n are correct . Inspect for any obvious damage or mfg screwup . Any problems bring up before $ or signature .

I'm either a basic black or blue steel and walnut guy, so I googled up the two colors in question to refresh my impressions.

Lots of variations in each , and with only a little squinting, some shades of nominally each seem to overlap.

Look at the bright side , you now have a Rare, Limited Edition color for your collection of different colored guns

Back on topic , your thread should have been * Which Modifications reduce the value the least *

Disclaimer#1 - We're talking about relatively modern guns, and within timeframe of more or less your lifespan.

Disclaimer #2 - The important meaning of value , is what somthing is worth To You . If it shoots better for You , or otherwise meets Your needs better , or simply brings you enjoyment, pride of ownership, etc , then its worth it to you.

That said, with exception of small handfull of well known custom builders , you will Never get back what you spend. Your usual aspiration is to not decrease the value compared to leaving it alone .

Added for specific detail -

I'm guessing the first post likely referes to semi auto pistols .

Replacement sights of "reasonably normal" configuration usually aren't bad , particularly if replacing plastic sights , such as Glock .

Factory parts , that didn't come on your specific pistol , usually aren't bad , as long as selected intelligently .

Aftermarket trigger systems ? A large percentage of potential buyers refuse such equipped guns categorically . Unless starting with somthing like a Sigma where the stock trigger is so bad to be essentially unusable .

Stock parts tuned by a pro that knows what they're doing , can usually be passed off as a stock gun that just happens to have a nice trigger pull .

holesonpaper

Mar 10, 2017
    Hazzard county
    LOL..... I must be anal as I inspect every firearm I purchase from top to bottom.

For the topic - effect of modifications, I'll concur with others, it doesn't add anything and can detract many times. Examples - I have a Glock 23 that I've invested probably just under 2K in. All the fancy stuff - trigger, slide, RMR, threaded barrels, etc.... I shot that pistol poorly and the recoil tore an old shoulder injury. Like a d-ass, I upgraded everything rather than getting rid of. It's sweet now but worth the money - hells no. I did the same with a Sig p226 that I loved from beginning to end. Would I buy one complete even if it was couple hundred less than the total cost? Again, hells no. As Forrest would say - "... you never know what you're going to get". Unless they're historic or have some other value - once you touch, the desirability (generally) diminishes.

Long story short - it's cool to customize but I laugh when I see folks trying to get their money back out of.. You have to find a sucker although I'll admit - they're out there... There was a Glock 19 in the classified section recently that fit the bill...

AlanInSilverSpring

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Apr 25, 2017
    Question for all the people with experience saying most mods won't increase the value of a gun.

How about something like replacing a stock ar15 trigger with a Fostech or Franklin binary ?

Blacksmith101

Grumpy Old Man
    Jun 22, 2012
    If you have a $2,000 rifle and put a $250 trigger and $750 scope on it you won't get $3,000 when you sell it.

The OP should just plan on his Coyote Tan rifle being his go to Coyote Hunting gun and set it up accordingly. Then when he reaches into the safe he will know which one to grab for a coyote hunt. Color code your guns great idea.:party29:

Mr. Ed

This IS my Happy Face
    MDS Supporter
    Jun 8, 2009
    Edgewater
    Question for all the people with experience saying most mods won't increase the value of a gun.

How about something like replacing a stock ar15 trigger with a Fostech or Franklin binary ?

Or geissle...

You might be able to get a bit more for the rifle, but it probably won't equal what you've invested. On the other hand, a crappy OEM trigger might prevent a sale, whereas the upgraded trigger might just be what it takes to make the deal.

MaxVO2

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    LWRC DI M-LOK 5.56
    I was hoping with this purchase, they would know I'm a serious buyer. I already had plans to return for additional rifles. The way this was handled, my money will go to someone else.

*****I have this gun. It's a great gun. I put an Aimpoint PRO on it with an add on magnifier and it's a real tack driver. LWRC makes really nice stuff IMO. Enjoy the gun. You can always sell it if the color really bothers you, or get it cerakoated in a variety of shades.

Great gun tho, in whatever color.

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    To answer the actual question, I think it depends a lot on what the mods are. If you made it tacticool, you probably will not get your money back.

OTOH, Ive bought a few used guns, cleaned a crapload of goo and shit out of them, replaced hammer springs, rusted screws and put a pair of nice grips on them, and I'd bet I could get more than what I paid all-in. Of course, I am not selling cause they shoot great. Its like fixing your house... who will be the target market for your purple paint and black lighting?

danb

dont be a dumbass
    Feb 24, 2013
    google is your friend, I am not.
    LWRC DI M-LOK 5.56
    I was hoping with this purchase, they would know I'm a serious buyer. I already had plans to return for additional rifles. The way this was handled, my money will go to someone else.

Indeed, this is a pretty sweet rifle. I seriously doubt you will have difficulty selling it should you decide to part with it.

I am thinking you got this:

But you wanted this color?

LWRCICR5CK16SPR_1.jpg

Honestly the FDE looks like puke green to me. :puke: I think you did fine.

Art3

Eqinsu Ocha
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 30, 2015
    Harford County
    For what it's worth, Fonzy, you have what looks to me like a nonhistoric (i.e. not blued and wood) battle rifle...I'd almost call it a space gun. It's not supposed to be shiny. If it was mine, and I didn't like the color, I'd apply varying shades of rattle can and wear and tear until I did like it.:innocent0

Google "Alex Zedra," and tell me she doesn't look better with a little paint and fake battle damage;)

That kind of modification probably does not increase the resale value...but I don't resell :shrug:

In all seriousness though, if the receipt or label says a different color than what's in the box, take a minute to make sure the serial number matches...that's important...

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    I make modifications to my guns so they fit what I want them to do. Configure your tool how you want it. That being said, I don’t plan on selling anything I currently own, so it’s a moot point. I agonize over purchases and builds, so when get something it’s what I really want.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    One can cut the cost of a newly purchased firearm by 40-50% if one wants to trade it in or sell to a LGS. They need to make money on every purchase to stay in business. My personal take in the OP’s case is the LGS didn’t sell what was stated and should allow the return. Flip side, at least open the box. You need to appeal to their integrity, though.

A firearm being a desirable configuration, finish, etc is what drives its resale value. No biggie there. Upgrades will bring premiums but typically not retail value on a modern arm unless those upgrades are difficult to obtain. Then you might get closer to that retail cost. This makes sense. Most people would rather buy new if the cost of the preowned identical unit is 80% the cost of the new. The market tier at which you are buying could make a difference but that is typically accompanied by the obtainability aspect as well.

I don’t typically buy new guns since I learned these lessons way back. If I buy a new firearm it is typically going to be a keeper for life or a standard big box store ‘try it and see’ so $$$ losses stay low if I on’t for the new purchase much. Sometimes you just need to get your feet wet but not sink in the mud. Fortunately, in my early gun buying years I knew a gentleman who understood the value of regular customers. He had two prices marked on the firearms - retail and regular customer prices. Both were very fair prices. If you were a regular customer you knew how to decipher the regular customer price. He also was congenial and pleasant to hangout with for even a small purchase. It was after this gentleman and his wife passed away I learned the lessons of retail firearm purchases.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    OP, I am curious about the LGS and cost of your stated rifle. Mainly because I bought the same one except for color. It was early this year. If you care to pm that, its appreciated. More curious about marketing than anything else. If not, that is understandable as well.

Neutron

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 20, 2014
    severna park
    My son bought a used pistol once that the dealer had tagged as a.380 and sold to him as such. Got it home and discovered it was a 9mm luger. He took it back the next day and the owner was very apologetic and gave him the full amount that he paid towards another gun.

Doco Overboard

Ultimate Member
    Yep. That cat is mine, ha. It's ok, though. I'm one of those whackos that need multiple colors, I'm a fan of all of them! Already have black, so my next logical step was going FDE, then maybe olive green. On and on ect ect. I guess it's a sickness?

The color become more appealing when you start shooting it and your collection grows. Over a period of time your outlook may even change.

Plus you never know, you may have gotten one that was exceptionally made that day.

Just remember when you have the sickness, your internal thoughts and feelings that come from the environment or context around you ultimately drive your behaviors which determines your results.

In between thoughts and feelings (internal) and behavior (external) there is a gap. Increasing the gap and by taking the time to completely rationalize your context and make the best choice can improve results.

If this is not done well, you can end up with 26 of the same type rifle.:)

The thing about modifications is that if they are poorly done and an improper choice is made that cannot be undone, my opinion is that the object is worth about 1/3 of original price on the street or less. Slightly more in a shop because someone is taking a risk to run it or the worth of the parts. Unless of course it is a rare or one off example or something that is rarely encountered you could accept paying slightly more only for self gratification purposes then its worth it. Especially if it doesn't negatively affect other responsibilities. Like having enough ammo/kit to go with it.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    Indeed, this is a pretty sweet rifle. I seriously doubt you will have difficulty selling it should you decide to part with it.

I am thinking you got this:

But you wanted this color?

LWRCICR5CK16SPR_1.jpg

Honestly the FDE looks like puke green to me. :puke: I think you did fine.

Ha, that certainly does look like puke green! The top one is what I purchased. I'll be fine with it. I just think the whole situation could have been handled better by the store. Live and learn.

Smokescreen

Knight who say Ni
    Feb 9, 2012
    Frederick, MD
    Hi everyone!

I come from the modified car world, where pricey aftermarket components generally do little to increase the resale value of a vehicle, and often detracts from its worth.

Is the same true in the firearm world? Would things like quality trigger kits, sights, etc. increase the value of a handgun, whether that be real or perceived value?

I assume that value may differ depending on the buyer, being either private or a business being the buyer?

Shekaar - This is an interesting question. For classic firearms, like classic cars, modifications are bad and will detract from the value. For example most people would not want a 1911 from the 1930's that has a extended beavertail and a skeletonized trigger and hammer. That just isn't how they were sold back then. They want it to look like it did coming out of the factory and if it isn't, they will not want to pay a premium price.

To give you an example, I know a LGS that has a Colt Ace (second edition made in the early 80's I believe) on consignment. The problem is, it does not have the original grips so people are not willing to pay the premium price for this collectors piece. So at the end of the day, this very nice piece has been sitting for months.

Now for modern firearms I think some modifications (trigger jobs, high-vis or night sights) may help the speed of the resell but as others have said, I don't see you getting your investment back. One way help modifications from hurting the resell as much is if you are reselling through a FFL that knows you well. They can tell potential customers that they know how well you take care of your firearms which can help ease concerns around the "kitchen table cowboys".

Any thoughts on purchasing a rifle, then trying to exchange it 23 hrs later, without ever taking a shot? I can elaborate, but maybe I don't understand gun store policies? I was given the incorrect color/shade rifle. Tried to exchange, store wouldn't, and couldn't give me a quote of a trade in price! Really??? Am I missing something? Thanks for any insight.

Fonzy - Sorry you ran into this. Most gunshops I have been to will not do returns after you leave the store because they do not know what you did once out of sight and the fact that they can no longer sell it as new.

It almost sounds to me that they did not even realize what they got if the receipt lists it as FDE.

If the color is really an issue, you could always find a shop to consign it at. You will not get what you paid but you should get close.

At the end of the day, its the consumers responsibility to ensure the product they wanted is what they are taking possession (be it a rifle, type of milk, or spec of a car). This is a good lesson for all of us to remember when we go out to take possession of our next item. Thank you for sharing.

Fonzy

Jun 9, 2018
    For what it's worth, Fonzy, you have what looks to me like a nonhistoric (i.e. not blued and wood) battle rifle...I'd almost call it a space gun. It's not supposed to be shiny. If it was mine, and I didn't like the color, I'd apply varying shades of rattle can and wear and tear until I did like it.:innocent0

Google "Alex Zedra," and tell me she doesn't look better with a little paint and fake battle damage;)

That kind of modification probably does not increase the resale value...but I don't resell :shrug:

In all seriousness though, if the receipt or label says a different color than what's in the box, take a minute to make sure the serial number matches...that's important...

I’m with you. Now that I understand how returns/exchanges work, I definitely plan to keep it. I will give it some wear and tear, and I’m sure it’ll grow on me. I love the rifle, other than it being a few shades off of what I initially wanted. And I’ll google AZ to see what’s doin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom