what to spend on a good .22lr supperssor?

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lee2

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Oct 8, 2007
    prices and recommendations>?
    it has to be user serviceable.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I'm no expert but I can say I'm happy with my Silencerco Spectre II I got from 2A
    I got it about a year ago when there was the big push before the new regs coming out for I think $350 + Stamp

I just cleaned it for the first time this week. build up was not too bad. Its not squeeky clean but removed 90% of the build up.

Been using it mostly for squirrel hunting on friends property where as we don't want to make too much noise for neighbors who are far enough away for legal hunting but still close enough to hear. I swear, kill 2 and 4 show up later.

rbird7282

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 6, 2012
    Columbia
    I have two Silencerco Sparrows and love them. I would recommend the Sparrow or the Spectre is also excellent.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Silencerco Spectre ii and Dead Air Mask are two top models in performance and materials. Full auto rated and made of SS, titanium and Inconel. These cost about $400 + tax stamp.

Prices go down to about $200 + stamp. Most of the $200 ones are not user servicable.

FWIW I own the two I mentioned and my next will probably be an Axiom. Quite a deal at about $350

http://www.silencershop.com/tactical-solutions-axiom.html

Or a Thompson Wasp at $250. This is wet suppressor. Not really something for general plinking.

http://www.silencershop.com/thompson-wasp-short-22.html

Sundazes

Throbbing Member
    MDS Supporter
    Nov 13, 2006
    Arkham
    Solencerco Spectre ii and Dead Air Mask are two top models in performance and materials. Full auto rated and made of SS, titanium and Inconel. These cost about $400 + tax stamp.

Prices go down to about $200 + stamp. Most of the $200 ones are not user servicable.

FWIW I own the two I mentioned and my next will probably be an Axiom. Quite a deal at about $350

http://www.silencershop.com/tactical-solutions-axiom.html

Or a Thompson Wasp at $250. This is wet suppressor. Not really something general plinking.

http://www.silencershop.com/thompson-wasp-short-22.html

I would agree with DP on all points. The Wasp is not a good first can for folks. It was purpose built for the little Beretta 21. I have a Wasp but have not been able to use it yet. But I gotta admit, it is really small. Like James Bond small.

Go with with the Spectre or Mask.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Is Gemtech still in business or have they disappeared?

They are still in business and are a great manufacturer. However, they really need to update thier rimfire offerings. They are being left behind.

That said, I would be happy to own any of thier products. Thier Multimount is an incredible value for a 9mm supressor.

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have a Gemtech.

Nice unit. A bit cheaper then the Sparrow or Specter.

parttimer

Ultimate Member
    Oct 10, 2013
    Calvert
    When I was looking for one my top two choices were the dead air mask Hd and the sparrow. The sparrow looked to be the easiest to clean and a solid design. The mask according to the tests I have seen on line had less first round pop. It is also pretty easy to clean.
    If you qualify for the silencerco spec program the price for the two is pretty close if not the sparrow is about $100 more. The problem with the spec program is it is like the blue label glocks it only applies to ones that were ordered under that program and not anyone that is in stock. I bought durring the rush before the law change and no one had any spec eligible sparrows in stock. I couldn't bring myself to pay the extra money on a sparrow knowing I should qualify to buy it cheaper under the spec program. I bought the mask and I am very happy with it.
    When I picked it up I let the guys at engage fire it as they said they had never heard one in person and they were very impressed with it. I am sure there are some on the market that are marginal quieter but mine is very quiet with no discernible first round pop. It is also full auto rated and multi caliber rated from .22 up to 5.7 x28. I don't own anything fil auto but I figure it would be good if I ever put it on something with a slide fire stock or a binary trigger type setup.
    This is my first suppressor and I don't have any experience with other cans. I will say I am very happy with my purchase and would pick this can again if I had to do it again.

vgplayer

Ultimate Member
    Jan 17, 2013
    King George, VA
    I have a Griffin Armament Checkmate QD. I like the 3-lug QD interface but it has been difficult to source the adapters as they sell our quickly. I just ordered a couple more recently directly from Griffin Armament. The can be purchased just as direct thread and later changed to QD and vice-versa.

Jollyllama

Ultimate Member
    Apr 9, 2012
    Carroll county
    I have a spectre ii and a sparrow. They are both quiet and have stainless internals for easier cleaning and durability.

The spectre is quieter by a bit on a pistol. The sparrow is quieter on a rifle and has a bit more first round pop on a pistol. It would be hard choose one between the two. The sparrow is built a little stronger with a steel tube where the spectre is aluminum. Sparrow is shorter and fatter. The spectre is longer and skinnier.

Both are great. Buy one that will last. I suggest steel over aluminum especially for the internals.

Both of the above are easily serviceable, however the spectre requires a wrench that it comes with. The sparrow is taken down by hand.

I have also used a friend's AAC, uncertain of model. It was also very quiet but made of all aluminum.

I'd also suggest you go with a company that will likely be around if service or parts are needed. For me I found that in silencerco.

Good luck!

Jagzilla

Banned
    BANNED!!!
    Feb 5, 2013
    I have a Bowers and it works well for me. Tom also sponsors a pretty decent forum. Subguns.com

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    I have a spectre ii and a sparrow. They are both quiet and have stainless internals for easier cleaning and durability.

The spectre is quieter by a bit on a pistol. The sparrow is quieter on a rifle and has a bit more first round pop on a pistol. It would be hard choose one between the two. The sparrow is built a little stronger with a steel tube where the spectre is aluminum. Sparrow is shorter and fatter. The spectre is longer and skinnier.

Both are great. Buy one that will last. I suggest steel over aluminum especially for the internals.

Both of the above are easily serviceable, however the spectre requires a wrench that it comes with. The sparrow is taken down by hand.

I have also used a friend's AAC, uncertain of model. It was also very quiet but made of all aluminum.

I'd also suggest you go with a company that will likely be around if service or parts are needed. For me I found that in silencerco.

Good luck!

The Spectre is all stainless. It does not have an aluminum tube.

protegeV

Ready to go
    Apr 3, 2011
    TX
    The Spectre is all stainless. It does not have an aluminum tube.

The warlock is the all aluminum version of the spectre. The warlock is what I have. Wasn't worried about shooting full auto or magnums. Just wanted the lightest possible 22lr can.

Semper Noctem

Desk Rabbit
    Aug 9, 2011
    Fairfax, VA
    I went with the Spectre II because I wanted the option to shoot any rimfire cartridge and 5.7 either semi or full auto. It's a great and robust little can. Got mine for $350 plus stamp.

dreadpirate

Ultimate Member
    Mar 7, 2010
    Cuba on the Chesapeake
    Sounds like I got a Ford while your guys got a Porche. :D My can is aluminum. I wanted something light weight on the front end of my pistol. This can is - if nothing else - light.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/rimfire/cgs-hydra.html

Also- when I bought it was late June; a lot of these were out of stock. It was slim pickings.

For 2017 - I will be more careful about a can for the new AR pistol destined to be SBR. Will definitely read the threads here.

dontpanic

Ultimate Member
    Jul 7, 2013
    Timonium
    Sounds like I got a Ford while your guys got a Porche. :D My can is aluminum. I wanted something light weight on the front end of my pistol. This can is - if nothing else - light.

http://www.silencershop.com/silencers/rimfire/cgs-hydra.html

Also- when I bought it was late June; a lot of these were out of stock. It was slim pickings.

For 2017 - I will be more careful about a can for the new AR pistol destined to be SBR. Will definitely read the threads here.

That looks like a great can. At a good price.

I'm sure you will enjoy it when it gets out of NFA jail.

md_al

Apr 25, 2014
    Middle River
    I use a SiCo Warlock II for my Glock17 .22 conversion. Maybe 1 out of 50 a Thunderbolts will not cycle the slide. Before I had this I used to use a Gemtech GM9 but it would not reliably cycle certain 22 ammo (Thunderbolts). The GM9 works fine with 9mm which is what is was designed for. I'll test out the GM9 again tomorrow both on 22 and 9mm subsonics. Sparrows and Spectres generally are the most recommended suppressors for 22.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Claude

Latest threads

Top Bottom