• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Sir, I choose to use my legal degree to choose right from wrong rather than the internet. You absolutely cannot obliterate an importer’s serial number. I know that it’s easy to fight via Google Foo, but I urge you to consult a licensed attorney in your state.

Good day, sir!

Jul 1, 2012
    Even in that link provided, ATF says you can't remove the importer-applied serial number (if there is one), no debate there.
    But you could legally remove the importer name and other nonsense.
    But that's one six-year old post and not a scan of the actual ATF letter so I wouldn't break out the grinder on that basis.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Guy ...

First, it’s notwithstanding.

Second, you cannot remove an importer’s SN just stop

The import marks are on the slide. What if I need to replace that? US law says the receiver is the firearm, no?

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    The import marks are on the slide. What if I need to replace that? US law says the receiver is the firearm, no?

You see see this, right chief?
    ce32b0c9cfc32ef4bbb1b358bdb39b07.png

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    Guy ...

First, it’s notwithstanding.

Second, you cannot remove an importer’s SN just stop

OK Guy, Chief, Sport, Tiger, Champ.

I’ll stop. If I ever want to remove anything I’ll write a letter to ATF so I can have a response.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    18 USC Section 90210(a)(1)

Though shall not obliterate a Singer typewriter’s serial number.

Hey, Buckaroo.

It appears that it IS in fact legal for the end-user to remove the import markings from the barrel or slide as long as the original serial number on the firearm stays intact.

Abulg1972

Ultimate Member
    Hey, Buckaroo.

It appears that it IS in fact legal for the end-user to remove the import markings from the barrel or slide as long as the original serial number on the firearm stays intact.

False. The importer’s serial number IS the firearm’s serial number. Once an importer puts a serial number on a frame or receiver, the original serial number becomes just another stamp on the gun. You can remove any other portion of the import stamp but not the SN.

You aren’t going to win this argument. You can keep practicing your Google fu skills all you want. I might be wrong about lots of things, but not this.

teratos

My hair is amazing
    MDS Supporter
    Patriot Picket
    Jan 22, 2009
    Bel Air
    False. The importer’s serial number IS the firearm’s serial number. Once an importer puts a serial number on a frame or receiver, the original serial number becomes just another stamp on the gun. You can remove any other portion of the import stamp but not the SN.

You aren’t going to win this argument. You can keep practicing your Google fu skills all you want. I might be wrong about lots of things, but not this.

Not talking about the FRAME, which is where the serial is on my CZ-82. You basically argued in a condescending manner for 2 pages and now you agree with me. Did I say "serial number"? No.....import markings. Talking about the book they write on the slide. The importers info. Not talking about obliterating serial numbers. Jesus, councilor.

Last edited:

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Wow, and the ones just posted on Classic's website are actually priced at market value. Too bad for Marylandistaners

ohen cepel

Ultimate Member
    Feb 2, 2011
    Where they send me.

That is if they put a serial # on it. If they simply put BURT'S IMPORT EMPORIUM RUN BY DRUNK MONKEYS is messing with that an issue?

I have seen FFL's remove those in the past. Again, not messing with the serial number which I would not do for anything.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Sarca

Latest threads

Top Bottom