• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    I think FOPA covers it but just checking as our state is so bass ackwards . Per MSP

"​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​."

So as I read that it is illegal for me to transport a handgun from my house to Delaware (or any state) where it is legal for me to conceal carry. Its only a mile and half to DE so the chances are slim I would get pulled over but you never know. Lastly (again dont think the Cecil County Sheriffs would be a issue) what issues will I run into if pulled over and have my empty holster on ?? .

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Having an empty holster in and of itself is not illegal.

Consider it likely the nice Ofc would consider that a substantial contributing factor to totality of Probable Cause to expect a firearm in the vehicle.

Which would trigger the conversation about the handgun being transported, and destinations thereof.

That's assuming you are wearing a holster for purposes of later lawful use, and not conducting a Symbolic Speach exercise , without any firearms present. That's a real thing, at one point there were semi-frequent Empty Holster Events here in Md .

dblas

Past President, MSI
    MDS Supporter
    Apr 6, 2011
    I think FOPA covers it but just checking as our state is so bass ackwards . Per MSP

"​They must be unloaded, in a carrying case, holster with a flap and the ammunition should be separate. It would be best to keep the unloaded weapon in the trunk where you do not have access to it. There are further regulations but essentially you can only transport a handgun between residence, to and from a repair shop, a shooting sporting event, between a residence and place of business if substantially owned and operated by the person. For more information please contact our Licensing Division​."

So as I read that it is illegal for me to transport a handgun from my house to Delaware (or any state) where it is legal for me to conceal carry. Its only a mile and half to DE so the chances are slim I would get pulled over but you never know. Lastly (again dont think the Cecil County Sheriffs would be a issue) what issues will I run into if pulled over and have my empty holster on ?? .

The above applies when BOTH destinations are in Maryland, not one (your home). Transporting to another state is fine and is indeed covered under FOPA.

dedan

Dec 5, 2011
    delaware
    if you do not have a delaware ccw, you can conceal carry in de. i believe you may open carry if you like. beware, dover, wilmington, have their own set of laws.

frogman68

товарищ плачевная
    Apr 7, 2013
    if you do not have a delaware ccw, you can conceal carry in de. i believe you may open carry if you like. beware, dover, wilmington, have their own set of laws.

Thanks figured FOPA covered me was thinking MD would have some stupid law regulating us from using our Civil Rights in states that aren't communists .

Think Dedan meant to say can't at least till 1/15/18 I can (new list comes out from DE than)

Attachments

• map.JPG
      map.JPG
      39.8 KB · Views: 272

swinokur

In a State of Bliss
    Patriot Picket
    Apr 15, 2009
    Westminster USA
    The MD AG agrees if either the origin or destination are not in MD, FOPA applies, not MD 4-203

Attachments

• AG opinion on travel 4-203.pdf
      15.4 KB · Views: 102

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Ababe1120

Latest threads

Top Bottom