• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miles71

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Jul 19, 2009
    Belcamp, Md.
    http://mantisx.com/

Anyone know anything about this? Got an email today about it, seems like it would be a good thing for teaching and practice.

TD

j_h_smith

Ultimate Member
    Jul 28, 2007
    I think it will tell you if you have problems with fundamentals, but who shoots exactly the same as someone else. I don't know how it's going to take into consideration everyone's own technique. Color me skeptical.

3rdRcn

RIP
    Industry Partner
    Sep 9, 2007
    Harford County
    I like it! Not only for the development of my own trigger control etc, but for students as well. The software is very interesting and for the price I figured I would give it a go.

campns

Ultimate Member
    Mar 6, 2013
    Germantown, MD
    I couldn't connect with a time to meet with the rep, but I have handled one it's on my list of things to get for training. it's promising technology

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We played with one today and signed up as a stocking dealer. We have 10 in the store now but can order as many as we need. Price is $149.99 each and you can download the apps on the Android Play Store or Apple App Store.

Minuteman

BANNED!!!
    Just got home from the demo and shooting it, and hanging out for another hour with the developer. He gave me a lot more insight and answered my dozens of questions. It's not perfect, but has a lot of value, especially in the next version of the app that is under development, which I got to try out. I bought one and will test it extensively. Worth it if you are an instructor, very good for beginner shooters or occasional shooters.

TylerFirearms

, , Class-7 FFL, MRFD
    Industry Partner
    Dec 27, 2013
    Halethorpe, MD
    We tested dry fire and with a CO2 pellet gun because we figured live fire would work the best. We wanted to see what most people would use it for.

The pellet gun worked perfectly and dry fire really needs something with a hammer to create vibrations. Unlike most other training aids, it uses motion and vibrations, not sound. It failed with a SIRT pistol, but Derek said that is in the works. They just have to adjust the sensitivity.

It works in a horizontal position only at the moment. The math needed to mount it 90 degrees to the ground is massive, and having it on a 45 degree rail, on an AR for example, will be extremely complicated... LOL. If you mount it on the bottom rail, it will work fine. It can be mounted facing forward or backward depending on your gun, you just tell the device it's backwards. An SR22 had to be mounted backwards because the rail is too small. It can also be set for left or right handed shooters.

The construction is good and battery life is 8 hours. It charges via included USB cable and comes with one page of instructions and a hard Pelican case.

Overall, we're impressed with the technology and it is pretty accurate. It works on the mechanics of the gun and not shot placement, like most other training systems. It even has help in the app that gives you the most likely cause of what mistakes you might be making. The history feature is good to show you how you shoot over time. For example, you can tell how you shoot after 4 hours at the range, or be able to see if you shoot different indoors vs outdoors.

As with any product we sell, if we don't like it, we won't sell it. As they adjust the algorithms over time, I can see the MantisX Training System becoming an invaluable tool for beginners and experts alike to show you what you're doing while shooting.

Stop by the store and we'll be more than happy to demo one for you.

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    I picked up one of these after reading in another thread. If I had read that they were available locally, would have done so. I missed this thread sorry.
    G17 gen 3.
    fits perfectly and I did not notice much if any weight difference.
    Worked fine in dry fire mode to try it out.
    I think the app will improve but right now, you can't analyze things after your session. other than the bar graph and there's a pie chart telling you some stuff.
    But you can't see the individual shots with the green/yellow/red lines.
    When you look at history, what you can review is limited.
    I'm sure they will add that and hopefully ability to name a session so you can put people's names to it and a date.

This seems to be for your trigger/hand and one should note that it won't correct sight picture mistakes.
    However, I take new shooters to the range quite often and since I'm not a trainer trying to tell them what they are doing wrong is difficult.
    maybe this will be helpful. I would expect it to be. If they are scoring high here but shooting way off, I should know its their sight picture or not.
    Of course, most the people I take seem to hit 12" low and left @ 25ft.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Tactical Shepherd

Latest threads

Top Bottom