Texan Convicted for Selling a Gun to an Illegal Alien with a Texas Driver's Licenese

The #1 community for Gun Owners of the Northeast

Member Benefits:

• No ad networks!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs043/1102148500335/archive/1105492943218.html#LETTER.BLOCK25

I got this piece of disturbing news in an e-mail from the AGC this morning.
    A man in Texas was convicted for selling a handgun to an illegal alien (with a Texas drivers license!) at a gun show in Austin. Ironically Austin is a "sanctuary city" where the police aren't even allowed to question someone's immigration status and yet they expected a private citizen to be able to do that.

If this story came out of Maryland I wouldn't be surprised, but Texas??
    What is this world coming to.

EL1227

R.I.P.
    Patriot Picket
    Nov 14, 2010
    http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs043/1102148500335/archive/1105492943218.html#LETTER.BLOCK25

I got this piece of disturbing news in an e-mail from the AGC this morning.
    A man in Texas was convicted for selling a handgun to an illegal alien (with a Texas drivers license!) at a gun show in Austin. Ironically Austin is a "sanctuary city" where the police aren't even allowed to question someone's immigration status and yet they expected a private citizen to be able to do that.

If this story came out of Maryland i wouldn't be surprised, but Texas??
    What is this world coming to.

It's Austin ... That's NOT Texas. Texas has to have an enclave for liberals to live and thrive because they aren't allowed to shoot them anymore. :innocent0

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    Send the American to jail, then give the illegal now felon hispanic children cheaper college tuition.

The Maryland way.

gamer_jim

Podcaster
    Feb 12, 2008
    Hanover, PA
    What are TX transfer laws? Can they do F2F or do they have to go through the police like here in MD? IIRC VA says the seller only needs to not have reason to believe the buyer isn't prohibited. Meaning there is no onus on the seller to make sure.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    In Federal District Court on July 20, 2010, the ATF won a conviction from an Austin jury that defies logic and reason. In a trial before Federal Judge Sam Sparks, government lawyers conceded Texas resident Paul Copeland did not know his buyer was an illegal alien, but told the jury they should convict him anyway because he "had reasonable cause to believe" he was selling to an illegal alien because the two men and a boy who were present at his table at the time of the sale: 1) were Hispanic, 2) spoke Spanish, and 3) wore cowboy clothing. And the jury did as asked. Assistant U.S. Attorney Jennifer Freel acted as lead prosecutor in the case.

WOW. I hope one of the lawyers working for Jan Brewer sees this. Basically, they just said it's OK to profile someone as an illegal based on their looks.

Sounds like something Gansler would say.

I dunno, there's got to be more to this story. Seems like if it were that cut and dry, the NRA or SAF or someone would be stepping in to appeal this.

cmecha

Feb 10, 2009
    that sucks and believe the case should have been thrown out and the illegal deported.

JMintzer

Hoarding Douche Waffle
    Mar 17, 2009
    SW MoCo/Free FL (when I can)
    This is an old story. The very same Justice Dept that sued Jan Brewer for enacting a law that "profiled" Hispanics, expected the gun dealer to "profile hispanics" and know they were illegals since they were Hispanic, spoke spanish and wore "cowboy clothing" WTF is "cowboy clothing"???

Pretzel logic anyone?

Jamie

mvee

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 13, 2007
    Crofton
    According to the article Huertas conducted the transaction speaking English.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    A little more to the story. According to the government's case the illegal negotiated the price of the gun with the seller, then handed the drivers-licensed guy the money to buy it for him right while the seller watched.

http://www.foxnews.com/projects/pdf/GovtResponsetoMotiontoSupressPaulCopelandCase.pdf

So it was in effect, a straw sale that was plainly obvious.

WHY THE F'ING HELL DO PEOPLE WASTE TIME GETTING PEOPLE EXCITED OVER SHIT THAT ISN'T EVEN WRONG? SERIOUSLY, GET THE DAMN FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START FEARMONGERING.

:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

zoostation

, ,
    Jan 28, 2007
    Abingdon
    So it was in effect, a straw sale that was plainly obvious.

WHY THE F'ING HELL DO PEOPLE WASTE TIME GETTING PEOPLE EXCITED OVER SHIT THAT ISN'T EVEN WRONG? SERIOUSLY, GET THE DAMN FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE YOU START FEARMONGERING.

:mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54::mad54:

That's why I mentioned it. I mean I don't disagree that there are certainly a lot of people who have gotten a raw deal on gun charges over the years. But I get sick of these people who get into trouble want the whole 2A community to rally around them and then we find out that we only got half the story. Just like the "my AR15 malfunctioned so I got sent to jail for a machine gun" guy. Then I read the federal affidavit and find out he was at least accused of more or less running an illicit MG manufacturing business out of his basement. I mean tell us the whole story and let us decide for ourselves. Doing otherwise is just going to hurt the people who really do get raw deals and need our money and support.

MDFF2008

Ultimate Member
    Aug 12, 2008
    That's why I mentioned it. I mean I don't disagree that there are certainly a lot of people who have gotten a raw deal on gun charges over the years. But I get sick of these people who get into trouble want the whole 2A community to rally around them and then we find out that we only got half the story. Just like the "my AR15 malfunctioned so I got sent to jail for a machine gun" guy. Then I read the federal affidavit and find out he was at least accused of more or less running an illicit MG manufacturing business out of his basement. I mean tell us the whole story and let us decide for ourselves. Doing otherwise is just going to hurt the people who really do get raw deals and need our money and support.

Thank you.

There are sooo many shitty things that are going on in the world, why do people feel the need to cry wolf all the time?

Honestly, I'm getting to the point where I 1.) Don't believe anything I read 2.) Am tired of sharing stuff and then having to retract it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    nexgen98

Latest threads

Top Bottom