• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    The origonal version sold for $700-ish back in the '90s, so the price is a lot better for the new ones . The origonals were as expected accuracy in 9mm, but very accurate in .40 .

It's a Ruger .

It's conventional stock configuration, which some people prefer. ( Origonal was synthetic stocked only .)

New version can take Glock mags . Wether or not you have a companion Glock , this is big plus for thr readily available, inexpensive, reliable mags .

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    I have asked a PA FFL to sell me a Ruger PC Carbine over the counter transaction. He is looking into law.

In 1986, the provision of the GCA was amended regarding the sale or disposition of long guns to residents of contiguous states. The provision now allows FFL dealers to sell or dispose of long guns to any resident of any state (not just contiguous) as long as (1) the transferee meets in person with the FFL dealer to actually perform the transfer; and (2) every part of the sale (sale itself, delivery, and receipt) fully comply with the laws surrounding gun sales in both the buyer’s and seller’s states.

Generally, a person may only acquire a firearm within the person’s own State. Exceptions include the acquisition pursuant to a lawful bequest, or an over–the–counter acquisition of a rifle or shotgun from a licensee where the transaction is allowed by the purchaser’s State of residence and the licensee’s State of business. A person may borrow or rent a firearm in any State for temporary use for lawful sporting purposes.
    [18 U.S.C 922(a)(3); 27 CFR 478.29]

Pinecone

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 4, 2013
    I have asked a PA FFL to sell me a Ruger PC Carbine over the counter transaction. He is looking into law.

FOPA 1986 removed the adjacent state restriction.

You can now buy a long gun in any state. The transaction must be legal in the state it occurs and in the state of residence of the buyer.

Ruger PC is not on the MD banned list, so should be no problem, as long as it does not fail the copy cat test (at least 29", only one evil feature).

Ngrovcam

Ultimate Member
    Jun 20, 2016
    Florida
    Nice looking rifle.
    Ruger = Good.
    9mm PC? Any practical use aside from
    plinking?
    Where does this leave Hipoint?
    Still not sure why Ruger killed their
    old 44 mag?

pcfixer

Ultimate Member
    May 24, 2009
    Marylandstan
    FOPA 1986 removed the adjacent state restriction.

You can now buy a long gun in any state. The transaction must be legal in the state it occurs and in the state of residence of the buyer.

Ruger PC is not on the MD banned list, so should be no problem, as long as it does not fail the copy cat test (at least 29", only one evil feature).

Didn't know this fact.:thumbsup:

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Hi Point is way less expensive.

Hi Point is ugly

Hi Point uses unique magazines vs Glock ( or other commonly available of normal capacity or most pistols ).

You pays your money, and takes your choice .

The original Ruger .44 Carbine was groundbreaking, and created the modern concept of magum pistol carbines . And spured then new significant advances in bullet design back in the '60s .

But alas sales were not up to expectations , was expensive to make , and the design was centered around a 4 rd tubular magazine, and not readily adaptable to larger capacity .

bkuether

Judge not this race .....
    Jan 18, 2012
    Marriottsville, MD
    If they really wanted to do something interesting .30 carbine would be fun.

Do not disagree; however that would NOT be a PCC.... And I think that is part of the attraction.

I like the 357 or 44 mag thought. Although I have neither of those calibers in my closet as of now.... :sad20:

Jimbob2.0

Ultimate Member
    Feb 20, 2008
    Do not disagree; however that would NOT be a PCC.... And I think that is part of the attraction.

I like the 357 or 44 mag thought. Although I have neither of those calibers in my closet as of now.... :sad20:

Ya to a point but .30 Carbine has been used in at least two handguns, including a Ruger.

I don't see them making one with a bigger magwell. Basically anything 10mm and shorter you will see.

.357 Sig could make a very useful firearm.

lazarus

Ultimate Member
    Jun 23, 2015
    While I love my M1 Carbine, and think that the .30 carbine cartridge is a lot more effective than most give credit to... feeding a carbine chambered in it isn't cheap anymore.

A 9mm PC carbine is a pretty economical package.

It’s beyond that, you couldn’t do straight blow back design for .30 carbine. So the existing design wouldn’t work. You’d need some kind of delayed blow back or gas system to make it work.

If you want a small lightweight carbine in .30 carbine, night I suggest an United States Model 1, Carbine .30 caliber? Or a reproduction of said same thing?

DutchV

Ultimate Member
    Jul 8, 2012

The Ruger M77 is available currently in .357 & .44. Sure, it's a bolt gun, not quite the same, but it's also real, not vaporware. Comes with iron sights and scope rings.

Ilexopaca

Mar 4, 2012
    I would have bought one if they were around 6 years ago. The price point is irresistible. I bought a JR Carbine in 9mm back then - super accurate, reliable, takes Glock mags and because it has an AR lower I was able to drop a Giessle trigger into it and customize the furniture. I'm a big fan of pistol caliber carbines (357/44mag) but shoot the 9mm frequently because the cost of ammo is nil! Aside from being a great range and plinking gun a 9mm carbine would be good for home defense. It throws bullets at higher velocities than a pistol yet still no worries about over-penetration with heavy SJHPs. Youtube it and you will find early PC Carbine buyers had function problems but I'm sure Ruger has worked them out by now. Get a recent one. You won't regret a 9mm carbine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom