• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    No that Radio Shacks are gone , where ( brick & mortor ) can you get switches, jacks , etc ?

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Halethorpe is a bit of a haul from SoMd , hence posting this in somd instead if WC .

TexasBob

Another day in Paradise
    MDS Supporter
    Oct 25, 2012
    Space Coast
    digi-key

just wait for it cupcake.

https://www.digikey.com/ :thumbsup:

The mail order anything you want just need to know what it is you want before ordering it, internet a open 24/7 for research.

Some parts like switches, jacks etc are available in local stores like microcenter, with a little driving. Like anything in Southern Maryland you got to go somewhere else to get what you want!

www.microcenter.com

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    OP: I completely feel your pain. Shopping online is great, but nothing beats taking your 8 year old down to the Shack to open the drawers and learn about part selection by actually *seeing* them.

Having said that, I use Adafruit for most of my online electronics shopping now. Great learning site for kids (video tutorials, etc.), if you're into that sort of electronics.

I miss Radio Shack.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    That's the thing of it . I know that I don't know what I need/ want . Or what the darn things are called to look them up in a thousand page website .That's why I'm willing to pay an extra 0.49 per item to be able to say to an in person live human " I want to blah blah , and also blah. What do I need ? " I don't want to wait by the mailbox for 10 days hoping the illerate mail carriers don't loose it . And then go " crao , I needed a widget to go with the do dad ."

K31

"Part of that Ultra MAGA Crowd"
    MDS Supporter
    Jan 15, 2006
    AA county
    I think Radio Shack in Prince Frederick is still open

This guy appears to be right, at least according to the Rat Shack website.

I thought Dunkirk survived the purge but apparently not :(

Boyd King Electronics
    Authorized RadioShack Dealer
    436 Solomons Island Rd N
    Prince Fredrick, Maryland 20678

Monday - Friday: 9:30 AM - 6:00 PM
    Saturday: 9:00 AM - 5:00 PM
    Sunday: 10:00 AM - 3:00 PM

Phone: 410-535-1775

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    Even if there is a shack open, call first to find out if they have discrete components. Even before a bunch closed down, they had just cell phone stuff and RC helicopters/drones/cars.

Fishguy

Ultimate Member
    Jun 30, 2009
    Montgomery County
    That's the thing of it . I know that I don't know what I need/ want . Or what the darn things are called to look them up in a thousand page website .That's why I'm willing to pay an extra 0.49 per item to be able to say to an in person live human " I want to blah blah , and also blah. What do I need ? " I don't want to wait by the mailbox for 10 days hoping the illerate mail carriers don't loose it . And then go " crao , I needed a widget to go with the do dad ."

Them days are gone. Even if you find a store that sells the things you are looking for, don't expect the clerk who works there to have any more knowledge on the subject than you do. Usually you will be giving the clerk an education on his inventory.

traveller

The one with two L
    Nov 26, 2010
    variable
    Most radio shacks were useless for components years prior to the shutdown. All they carried was toys and cellphones. We had a good local one with rows of drawers that contained everything you needed. They also did TV and appliance repair and had test benches in the back. Sadly the guy retired and there was simply no market to sell the intact business. Sold the inventory, sold the trucks and the buildings and moved to NC.

Keystone70

MSI Executive Member
    Apr 14, 2012
    HoCo
    Interesting. I worked at Radio Shack back in the 70s. In fact I was a store manager for while. People used to criticize the shack and their products at that time. Olson's and Lafayette were better, they said. Don't know what the competition was around here. I understand that they were sold or spun off from Tandy a while back which is why they changed so much.

I too miss them because they did have a lot of parts and kits. Now as I entered the amateur Radio world, I was like "Where do I get cable, masts, etc now. And where can you get a clock radio, now? We did help people with questions about installations and parts back in the day.

And what do I do with all of my Battery Cards?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom