• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    A recent thread piqued my interest in building a 1911. Someone provided this link to a frame.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/1911/tm-recon-frame-1911.html

Pros/Cons?

I know there will be some parts fitting and I'm not too worried about that since
    I'm mechanically inclined. Just wondering if this is a viable home project for my Son and I to put a couple of these together.We assembled a couple of AR's already and enjoy working on these types of projects together.

Has anyone here done one of these before? If so what pitfalls did you encounter?
    Either talk me into it or talk me out of it!

HogCommander

Aug 10, 2013
    Texas Hill Country
    Pros/Cons?

Has anyone here done one of these before? If so what pitfalls did you encounter?

Have built 2x AR-15s and would love to have the ability to build a 1911 but I think there's a world of difference in terms of knowledge, skills, and tools if your goal is precision accuracy. To me, AR's are like Legos...you can mix & match over-the-counter parts and still get a very accurate firearm.

To get precision accuracy from a 1911, I think there's a lot more involved. Slide-to-frame fit must be precise, barrel hood must fit precisely into the slide, and the barrel bushing must be custom-fitted for match-grade accuracy...all of which require know-how and either expensive machinery or very precise hand tool skills.

Then there's reliability...ensuring it goes into battery properly, magazines feed properly, etc. I don't mean to discourage but rather to say I think it takes a lot more knowledge, skill and determination to build a 1911 that will beat factory-made performance for the same money.

If interested/determined, have to say that for the money it's hard to beat Foster Industries...that's the brand name that is used to sell cosmetic blemishes from Caspian. Also a fan of KKM barrels...match grade barrel at less than match grade price.

Just my $0.02...wish you nothing but success...this is a skill I hope to have someday!

inkd

Ultimate Member
    Aug 4, 2009
    Ridge
    A recent thread piqued my interest in building a 1911. Someone provided this link to a frame.

http://www.tacticalmachining.com/1911/tm-recon-frame-1911.html

Pros/Cons?

I know there will be some parts fitting and I'm not too worried about that since
    I'm mechanically inclined. Just wondering if this is a viable home project for my Son and I to put a couple of these together.We assembled a couple of AR's already and enjoy working on these types of projects together.

It will be a bit different than putting together an AR, which I'm sure you're already aware of.

It's not just the parts fitting, it's knowing how to take some of the measurements to fit the critical parts.

Measuring the hood length is one measurement. Cutting the legs of the barrel to make sure the slide stop clears correctly while locking and unlocking. Cutting the barrel legs themselves can be tough without the proper fixtures and cutters.

Gauge blocks to check the width of the frame rails. A seam micrometer to measure the slide rails. Fitting the slide to frame can probably be done a different way but that's the way I was taught.

I'm sure there are some great books and videos on the subject. I would check a few of them out to see if it's up your alley before investing too much money into the parts.

As Hog Commander said, there are some definite items of knowledge in regards to getting a very accurate and reliable 1911 built.

If you are just looking for something to try your hand at and have patience and a decent mechanical aptitude, I think it's doable.

I would recommend getting some cold rolled steel, or maybe even aluminum, but steel would give you a better "feel" for pressure as you are cutting, and practice filing techniques before you get started. It may save you some money in the long run.

Trust me, it sucks really, really, really bad to have an "oh shit" moment on a part. It can add up very fast. Get your oh shits out on scrap metal. Try to take a round rod and file it to a square. Or a square stock and round it off.

I use Sharpie marker to tell me if I am filing straight and true. Dykem could work too but I feel it loads the file up too quick.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    Buyer beware. I don't know much about that website. I did sign up and looked at the small parts package (stainless) for $500. It virtually all MIM or cast and priced 2 to 3 times their worth. Hunting around for good builder takeoffs or new know good MIM makers would be more economically accurate fruitful.

Just sayin'

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    Buyer beware. I don't know much about that website. I did sign up and looked at the small parts package (stainless) for $500. It virtually all MIM or cast and priced 2 to 3 times their worth. Hunting around for good builder takeoffs or new know good MIM makers would be more economically accurate fruitful.

Just sayin'

1911builders?

I dont think so. I have seen the frames. Good stuff.

Here is a vid of a guy putting together one of thier kits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vu353OGIGQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

pleasant1911

Ultimate Member
    Apr 12, 2012
    I love the 1911s. Check out couple stickies on 1911forum. There are few tools to buy such as jigs for sear, and beavertail, and a set of jeweler files, but get the wide ones. The most difficult thing I think you will have is putting a slide on it, and the fitting the barrel.

If I were you, I would get a slide and frame combo from caspian arms or gut and replace a new RIA, with all new parts, so you wont have to deal with slide fitting, sight fitting, and barrel fitting. But if you are willing to jump into everything at once go for it. If you have a 1911 I would try to get new machined interal parts for that gun as a practice run.

Good luck... I put all C&S trigger kit, and bunch of wilson bullet proof stuff on my RIA. gun is lot heavier, and the rolling trigger job.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    1911builders?

I dont think so. I have seen the frames. Good stuff.

Here is a vid of a guy putting together one of thier kits.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vu353OGIGQ&feature=youtube_gdata_player

1911builders?

I don't doubt what you are saying about the frames, I haven't seen them. If you zoom in one the pic of the Parts Kit, you will see they are MIM and/or cast. The thumb safety shows what looks like a shallow void. Maybe three are not MIM or cast (springs and pins excluded), maybe. The parts look decent, I am just stating those parts are grossly priced beyond their true value in the present market.

You can buy them, use them, cool with me. I won't discredit any good build, I look forward to seeing a post(s) on the build. Just shop and ask questions on the manufacture of the parts so you don't overpay. Trust me, its disappointing to get a build done or begin prepping a part and find out it is not what you thought it was.

jcbvh

Dec 30, 2012
    Louisiana Cajun Country
    1911builders?

I don't doubt what you are saying about the frames, I haven't seen them. If you zoom in one the pic of the Parts Kit, you will see they are MIM and/or cast. The thumb safety shows what looks like a shallow void. Maybe three are not MIM or cast (springs and pins excluded), maybe. The parts look decent, I am just stating those parts are grossly priced beyond their true value in the present market.

You can buy them, use them, cool with me. I won't discredit any good build, I look forward to seeing a post(s) on the build. Just shop and ask questions on the manufacture of the parts so you don't overpay, trust me, its disappointing.

I would buy the 80% frames from 1911builders or Tactical Machine.

I agree with you on buying take offs. Colt or Springfield compete slides including the barrel can be had on GB for a decent price if you are patient.

Magnumite

Ultimate Member
    Dec 17, 2007
    Harford County, Maryland
    I wasn't speaking of the slides, more the parts needed to complere slide, frame barrel foundation. You sure have patient part right. I've been debating the 80% frame and tooling route but have some reservations about it. I am watching the threads with interest.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD

I've looked at their site a few times and thought about buying from them. I am wondering about their markup though. If you look at this full kit:

http://1911builders.com/collections...75-billet-frame-w-rail-para-sights-sight-cuts

vs. this completion kit:

http://1911builders.com/collections...t-5-45-acp-4140-steel-novak-sights-sight-cuts

it looks like they added the $169 stealtharms frame for $200, and makes me wonder if I can find the rest for less on my own.

But for one-stop-shopping, it isn't a bad deal.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    The parts from Sarco came in today. Here is a first look with the slide on the frame:

DSC03702_zps7ru6z8wq.jpg

Super tight slide to frame fit, and it's obvious I still will have a lot of fitting and polishing work to do:

DSC03704_zps9gbyoyt5.jpg

Tried a few parts in the slide and frame:

DSC03706_zpsbxn4o0ga.jpg

Yeah, this will be more than a one night project. I am anticipating a lot of fitting and polishing to do.

pilotguy299

Ultimate Member
    Sep 26, 2010
    FredNeck County, MD
    They looked OK, if a bit gritty on the finish. The extractor didn't slide easily in to the slide, and the firing pin stop is a bit too big with the finish that is on it. I got them both in, but the firing pin hangs on the stop, and the stop is rubbing against the top of the frame. I'm not sure if I should work on the firing pin stop, or on the top of the frame.

I am going to have to widen the area the barrel sits in the frame so that it moves freely, as well as try to figure out how the grip safety is really supposed to fit in the frame.

But all in all, I am pleased so far based on the price. That may change as I break stuff trying to make it all fit and work! lol

rseymorejr

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Feb 28, 2011
    Harford County
    Ok, I'm about to the point that I'm going to do this then a question popped into my head: Will a finished frame need to be on the roster list? Or is that only for complete guns?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    navyfirefighter1981

Latest threads

Top Bottom