• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nknacd

Nov 16, 2008
    Where do you guys practice at for IDPA or USPSA? I know a lot of place do not allow drawing from a holster which is why i ask.

Racinready300ex

Jun 3, 2009
    Most of my practice is in my living room with dry fire. But, for live fire I am a member of two clubs on the eastern shore.

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Great question! My holster practice is only dry fire, too, and go to as many IDPA competitions as my limited schedule will allow. I spoke with the guys at Heritage in Frederick last weekend about it. One of the managers said they are considering holster work in the future. Not sure of the details, though.

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    I would I say in general, I dry fire 200 times for every 1 real shot. I also practice reloads without live rounds. When actually shooting, the NRA range in Fairfax is where I go.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    I would I say in general, I dry fire 200 times for every 1 real shot. I also practice reloads without live rounds. When actually shooting, the NRA range in Fairfax is where I go.

So. If you went to the range this weekend and fired 100 rounds, you would have dry fired 20,000 times before or after the range day?

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    So. If you went to the range this weekend and fired 100 rounds, you would have dry fired 20,000 times before or after the range day?

Yeah, I don't get too many chances to draw from a holster and fire live shots. I just don't. So almost all of it is done at home. And to be clearer, it's presentations from the holster vs. live round fired most of the time.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    Yeah, I don't get too many chances to draw from a holster and fire live shots. I just don't. So almost all of it is done at home. And to be clearer, it's presentations from the holster vs. live round fired most of the time.

Just to be clearer, if you fired 400 actual rounds last month, you dry fired/drawn out of a holster in your living room, 80,000 times?
    80,000?

Apr 8, 2012
    Earth
    Just to be clearer, if you fired 400 actual rounds last month, you dry fired/drawn out of a holster in your living room, 80,000 times?
    80,000?

No. Last month, I didn't draw and fire a single round at all since I didn't go to any matches or even get the range. But I drew from my holster as much as I could, and dry fired as much as I could.

I maybe do 1-2 IDPA matches a month at AAFG. At 6 stages a match, even though the total round count maybe 100+, there's usually only 6 changes to draw and fire. If I can get to the range and practice once a month, I usually focus on followup shots, so I maybe draw and fire 10 times. So that's only 6-22 actual rounds a month for a shots fired from the holster for me in a good month. Usually it's only 6.

Clearly, you are calling me out on my use of numbers and/or poor writing for not spelling out that this is all from a holster. Ok, it's fair to say 200:1 is an exaggeration. So yeah, it's BS. And you win.

--

OP, please don't let us distract you from your question. I apologize for this turn. What I'm trying to say, and clearly not very well, is that you can get a lot of practice done at home without firing an actual shot.

Blaster229

God loves you, I don't.
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 14, 2010
    Glen Burnie
    No. Last month, I didn't draw and fire a single round at all since I didn't go to any matches or even get the range. But I drew from my holster as much as I could, and dry fired as much as I could.

I maybe do 1-2 IDPA matches a month at AAFG. At 6 stages a match, even though the total round count maybe 100+, there's usually only 6 changes to draw and fire. If I can get to the range and practice once a month, I usually focus on followup shots, so I maybe draw and fire 10 times. So that's only 6-22 actual rounds a month for a shots fired from the holster for me in a good month. Usually it's only 6.

Clearly, you are calling me out on my use of numbers and/or poor writing for not spelling out that this is all from a holster. Ok, it's fair to say 200:1 is an exaggeration. So yeah, it's BS. And you win.

--

OP, please don't let us distract you from your question. I apologize for this turn. What I'm trying to say, and clearly not very well, is that you can get a lot of practice done at home without firing an actual shot.

Not "calling you out", just trying to understand your numbers. Because if my numbers are your numbers, then I'll call bs. Lol

gpfan

Dec 6, 2014
    Sykesville, MD
    Not "calling you out", just trying to understand your numbers. Because if my numbers are your numbers, then I'll call bs. Lol

...so do you have any constructive recommendations that pertain to the OP? Because other folks are interested in places to do live fire holster work as well.

BUFF7MM

☠Buff➐㎣☠
    Mar 4, 2009
    Garrett County
    ...so do you have any constructive recommendations that pertain to the OP? Because other folks are interested in places to do live fire holster work as well.

You just have to understand there's a couple of people on here like that, I'm sure there's a term for it, but if I get it wrong I'm sure a big deal will be made of it.:rolleyes:

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    Damn I was hoping there was a real answer in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kraftyone

Mar 9, 2013
    If you can find a member of New Holland rifle and pistol they allow draw from holster

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spb5205

Latest threads

Top Bottom