• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigT5g

Ultimate Member
    May 12, 2014
    Dayton MD
    I actually tried this out today in my dry fire session.
    On a big TV it kind of works!
    At least its something a little different and fun.

May 13, 2005
    By VR, I assume you don't mean VR headset, just a big flat screen? I have seen a few proposals for VR training programs, but have not seen or tried one first hand. I've tried many many shooting sims going back to the early MIL FATS connected with tubing to big gas tanks and they have come a long, long way. I expect to see many more coming soon and more user friendly for folks to practice at home.

One of the top ones I've shot recently was at a Gander Mountain in one of the southern suburbs of Minneapolis has a shooting simulator with drills like this, 180 and 360 degree screens, with both Glocks and Berettas with CO2 in the mags to simulate recoil. Excellent training. They also have shoot / no-shoot situations for those who provide various credentials. Not horribly expensive per hour, especially when compared to the cost of ammo shot in a similar time frame, and it's very nice to not have to go down range, reset and/or paste targets, and then change up the scenario in seconds. Can be used for applicable training or just for turkey shooting. I had my kids run through it too and it was surprisingly helpful in vey quick time, as long as some instruction was provided and not just treated like a video shoot-em up game.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    simulator

By VR, I assume you don't mean VR headset, just a big flat screen? I have seen a few proposals for VR training programs, but have not seen or tried one first hand. I've tried many many shooting sims going back to the early MIL FATS connected with tubing to big gas tanks and they have come a long, long way. I expect to see many more coming soon and more user friendly for folks to practice at home.

One of the top ones I've shot recently was at a Gander Mountain in one of the southern suburbs of Minneapolis has a shooting simulator with drills like this, 180 and 360 degree screens, with both Glocks and Berettas with CO2 in the mags to simulate recoil. Excellent training. They also have shoot / no-shoot situations for those who provide various credentials. Not horribly expensive per hour, especially when compared to the cost of ammo shot in a similar time frame, and it's very nice to not have to go down range, reset and/or paste targets, and then change up the scenario in seconds. Can be used for applicable training or just for turkey shooting. I had my kids run through it too and it was surprisingly helpful in vey quick time, as long as some instruction was provided and not just treated like a video shoot-em up game.

We have the same simulator at Atlantic Tactical Firearms Training in Salisbury Marylang but we have an enhance version with 800 senarios that can be branched for dfferent outcomes. It is used for HQL, Maryland, Delaware, and Utah CCW. Great Deadly force law training as well. It has really helped me with IDPA pratices as I can fire 500 to 600 rounds in a hour three to four times a week. Get a lot of trigger time in a much smaller time line.

May 13, 2005
    I'm all for this stuff, I'm glad to see the YT vids coming out. Imagination is limitless on where home training can end up in a decade.

May 13, 2005
    We have the same simulator at Atlantic Tactical Firearms Training in Salisbury Marylang but we have an enhance version with 800 senarios that can be branched for dfferent outcomes. It is used for HQL, Maryland, Delaware, and Utah CCW. Great Deadly force law training as well. It has really helped me with IDPA pratices as I can fire 500 to 600 rounds in a hour three to four times a week. Get a lot of trigger time in a much smaller time line.

Nice! No idea there was one around here. I may have to take a trip up that way, is it open for walk in time or does it have to be connected to a course? I probably put ten hours on the sim in a week the last time I was in MN, glad it wasn't next door or I'd go broke. Do you have other firearm configured with the system besides Glocks and Berettas?

May 13, 2005

I just looked where you are on the map... Literally 40 miles due East of me... Yet it's a 3 hour ten minute drive one way LOL.. Well that will be a good weekend day trip at least :)

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    simulator

Nice! No idea there was one around here. I may have to take a trip up that way, is it open for walk in time or does it have to be connected to a course? I probably put ten hours on the sim in a week the last time I was in MN, glad it wasn't next door or I'd go broke. Do you have other firearm configured with the system besides Glocks and Berettas?

You do have to sign up for time to make sure an operator is there.. You can call 410-546-0003 to book. Cost is $50 @ hour.

The Glocks work best on the recoil systems. The Berettas not as well. Cost per firearm is $4k so we have not ventured into the Sig unit until it proves more reliable.

It is addictive but cheaper that real ammo. How much did it coust in MN?

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    simulator

I just looked where you are on the map... Literally 40 miles due East of me... Yet it's a 3 hour ten minute drive one way LOL.. Well that will be a good weekend day trip at least :)

Love to have you come over. Let me know if you are coming and I'll try to be there for any MDS.

May 13, 2005
    Excellent! Much appreciated for the MDS discount! I will check the calendar and see when I can make it up, hopefully August. The one in MN was $25 per half hour, but if you bought a punch card with five slots up front you got them for $20 each slot, so basically $40 and hour in bulk, if I remember correctly. And time flies so I can't imagine doing less than that :) I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I know what weekend in August looks good.

Yeah, I tried the Beretta once, didn't like it as much as the Glock. Didn't know the guns cost that much, ouch. Never put much down the barrel of a Sig, they just never felt right in my mitt. I'd like to see a carbine as well. I remember the old FATS system I shot had three round burst M-16's, amongst other firearms, and was a hoot with the different MIL scenarios.

kenpo333

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    MDS Supporter
    Mar 18, 2012
    Salisbury Maryland
    Excellent! Much appreciated for the MDS discount! I will check the calendar and see when I can make it up, hopefully August. The one in MN was $25 per half hour, but if you bought a punch card with five slots up front you got them for $20 each slot, so basically $40 and hour in bulk, if I remember correctly. And time flies so I can't imagine doing less than that :) I'll definitely shoot you a PM when I know what weekend in August looks good.

Yeah, I tried the Beretta once, didn't like it as much as the Glock. Didn't know the guns cost that much, ouch. Never put much down the barrel of a Sig, they just never felt right in my mitt. I'd like to see a carbine as well. I remember the old FATS system I shot had three round burst M-16's, amongst other firearms, and was a hoot with the different MIL scenarios.

Great. Let me know when you are coming down and I will try to be there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    christian04

Latest threads

Top Bottom