• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    I thought I’d just post this here instead of the outdoor activity section. I took my mosin sniper rifle, deer hunting this past weekend. Unfortunately I didn’t get a chance to shoot a deer with it, hopefully next year. I was hunting on a wooded lot, I don’t normally hunt. I took the Mosin along, as I don’t have to carry it far, and the shots are usually pretty close.

I worked with this gun a lot last year, and it shoots great with my hand loads. From a bench, it shoots 1 ragged hole, at 50 yards. About a little bigger than a silver dollar at 100 yards. After that the scope really becomes hard for me to get consistent groups. I’ll be working with it a lot again as soon as the weather gets better. Now my goal is to harvest a deer with it next year.

Attachments

• 25446AF9-D63F-4FDD-9E0A-06F9480D4C19.jpg
      25446AF9-D63F-4FDD-9E0A-06F9480D4C19.jpg
      118.1 KB · Views: 182

MilsurpDan

Ultimate Member
    Feb 1, 2012
    Frederick County
    Looks like we have similar taste in hunting rifles! I was lugging my 91/30 PU Sniper around with me this year too. I didn’t have any luck either though. I’m hoping to bag some Coyotes with it since Deer seasons pretty much over.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Looks like we have similar taste in hunting rifles! I was lugging my 91/30 PU Sniper around with me this year too. I didn’t have any luck either though. I’m hoping to bag some Coyotes with it since Deer seasons pretty much over.

Yeah this isn’t my main go to hunting rifle as I typically take my Weatherby. But this place I was hunting this past weekend does not have areas large enough to give me longshots so I did not feel handicapped by taking the PU sniper. I’m going to continue working with this rifle this spring and summer and hopefully get more confident shooting at longer distances with it. If I can do that it may just become next years go to rifle. I’ve taken several deer with all different/odd type of weapons. This one would definitely be unique to harvest a deer with. Good luck on your coyote hunt and hopefully next deer season will be better for you

Doctor_M

Certified Mad Scientist
    MDS Supporter

Shooting a 'yote with a 7.62x54.... you'll just have to look for the poof of singed fur, since there won't be much else left :D

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    Don't know if you can reload sabot rounds for it. In my youth I had a buddy who would varmint hunt with me using his Ruger 30-06 deer rifle, loaded with sabot rounds. Cannot for the life of me remember how accurate they were. I usually brought down all the ground hogs with my Remington 700 bull barrel in 22-250. One seriously accurate rifle and round.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom