• Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    What would you call the style of rifle/carbine, generally Cold War era, semi auto, traditional wood stock and intermediate cartridge? Examples I can think of are the sks, rasheed and the vz-52/vz-52/57. Are there any other rifles that fit this profile? I’ve grown fond of them for some reason, love my sks and vz-52 and would love to find a Rasheed.

Chazp89

Sep 1, 2017
    M1 carbines I agree fit the bill but I’m meaning more along the lines of something that was adopted prior to or instead of an assault rifle, in a more traditional rifle/carbine format with a full stock. Probably even include full power options like the fn49, m1 garand, ag42, hakim, g43 and such. Looking to branch out my research and hopefully collection(someday)

Melnic

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 27, 2012
    HoCo
    What happens when AKs start to be 50 years old? They automatically become C&R so if you have a C&R license can you get one even in a state like MD? I know some early Colt ARs are now C&R.

50 year old AK would likely be Full auto and NFA. C&R means nothing there.
    PLus AK Rifle is Banned in MD so does not matter for MD resident. I don't see a way around it if its not an AK Pistol or turned SBR

Fester60

Feb 1, 2010
    PA
    50 year old AK would likely be Full auto and NFA. C&R means nothing there.
    PLus AK Rifle is Banned in MD so does not matter for MD resident. I don't see a way around it if its not an AK Pistol or turned SBR

I was thinking way down the road when semi-auto AKs from the 80s and early 90s (like the Mak-90) are that old. I wasn't sure how a state law affected different FFL holders. Basically could an FFL03 possess a firearm that an non FFL03 couldn't in a state like MD? I guess the answer is no.

Threeband

The M1 Does My Talking
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2006
    Carroll County
    Plenty of machine guns are already C&R. Makes no difference under Maryland law.

Besides, it'll be nearly 20 years before the first semi-auto civilian-legal AKs (early import Maadis) reach C&R age. There are already civilian Colt AR 15s much older than that, though. Makes no difference: why do you think it would?

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Hakim, Rasheed, FN-49, Ljungman AG-42, MAS 49, MAS 49/56, M1 Carbine, M2 Carbine, BM-59, SKS, etc. etc.

Not all of them featured intermediate cartridges, but they were were arms that pushed most nations beyond internal-mag bolt-actions before they either developed alternatives with select fire capabilities (M2 was select fire), or adopted the FN FAL. They're a neat era of firearms from the engineering perspective even though most of them didn't see widespread use in modern conflicts as the FAL, AK, and M-16 all came along shortly thereafter to replace them.

Biggfoot44

Ultimate Member
    Aug 2, 2009
    Good bet those MAS's saw much use in Algeria and Indochina ( aka Viet Nam , round 1 ) .

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    Good bet those MAS's saw much use in Algeria and Indochina ( aka Viet Nam , round 1 ) .

Yes, they did there, but not nearly as much action as say, the SKS or M1 Carbine. They simply weren't issued as much. SKS was issued to all Soviet satellites. M1 to most US/NATO/UN allies for the bigger conflicts of that time period.

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Didn’t mean to derail the thread when I said the AK. The OP didn't ask what was legal in Maryland. His profile doesn’t say where he lives either. Maybe he lives in free America?

Brickman301

Ultimate Member
    Mar 23, 2015
    FREDERICK, MD
    Yes, they did there, but not nearly as much action as say, the SKS or M1 Carbine. They simply weren't issued as much. SKS was issued to all Soviet satellites. M1 to most US/NATO/UN allies for the bigger conflicts of that time period.

You’re right. My father was in the Army in Vietnam, and he carried a M2 carbine in 68-69. He trained with the M-14. Once he got into combat, he traded someone for the M2, he said it was a lot nicer to carry around. Lol. I’ve asked him why didn’t he us a M-16? He said he didn’t like them back then.

tallen702

Ultimate Member
    MDS Supporter
    Sep 3, 2012
    In the boonies of MoCo
    You’re right. My father was in the Army in Vietnam, and he carried a M2 carbine in 68-69. He trained with the M-14. Once he got into combat, he traded someone for the M2, he said it was a lot nicer to carry around. Lol. I’ve asked him why didn’t he us a M-16? He said he didn’t like them back then.

My FIL preferred the M14 to his M16. Never had to actually use either of them (it was pretty quiet in the highlands at the time he was there) Said the M-16 simply felt too flimsy to him. Knew a couple of other vets that traded away for Thompsons from the ARVN guys as they did a lot of anti-VC work that meant closer quarters. I've heard stories of the early M16s snapping at the wrist when landed on wrong from guys jumping from helicopters that wouldn't touch-down fully in hot LZs rendering them useless as the buffer and spring popped out. No first-hand accounts mind you.

I've always wondered if the guys in the AEF complained about the M1 Garand when it first came into use.

Major03

Ultimate Member
    I've always wondered if the guys in the AEF complained about the M1 Garand when it first came into use.

Funny enough I believe there was some harumppphhhh from some senior officers and old timers who were still in the mindset that you needed to control the rate of fire of your soldiers by limiting access to ammo.

The M1903 has a magazine cutoff for that purpose. There was a time when senior leadership believed that soldiers could not be trusted not to burn through their ammo if they had unfettered access to their magazine.

That mentality carried through when the M1 was introduced, and there were some who thought the collective volume of fire the M1 would put out would be too much of a strain on the logistics train.

I don't imagine the guys at the company level and lower didn't appreciate the extra firepower.

mawkie

C&R Whisperer
    Sep 28, 2007
    Catonsville
    The first carbine sized rifle to pop into my head was the Czech VZ52 and VZ52/57. Agree that you don't have to stretch much to get to the MAS 49/56 which is just an inch longer than the VZ52 and in the same 9 lb weight range. The MAS would be my pick all week and twice on Sunday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ESM07

Latest threads

Top Bottom