• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    Braintrust,

I am looking for a small of the back carry option for my G42. Let me start by saying that I carry on my property. This will not be a concealed carry option for everyday use. Just at home and outside on my property.

Does anyone have experience with the clipdraw system on a Glock pistol? I currently have a OWB holster and it is ok but I do not care for any of the IWB Holsters I have tried so far. Looking for opinions on comfort/practically of the clipdraw. If I am on my tractor or mowing I will use the OWB holster. If not I need an option for just walking around and doing general chores that is IWB.

Thoughts?

IjustCantAim

Jan 20, 2010
    Had one on my 23. It was comfortable but I never had a round in the chamber. It scared me too much having trigger exposed like that. I took It off and use a holster.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    That is an interesting thought. Didn’t think about having a trigger exposed. But I really can’t stand any of the IWB Holsters I have tried.

5cary

On the spreading edge of the butter knife.
    MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    That is an interesting thought. Didn’t think about having a trigger exposed. But I really can’t stand any of the IWB Holsters I have tried.

You can by a trigger cover for it from clipdraw at the same time. I used one back when I had a baby glock. It was okay, but not much comfort for me over a IWB, so I ditched it.

Here's the link to the clipdraw trigger safety:
    https://www.clipdraw.com/glock-trigger-safety-products/

I just saw down at the bottom of the page they still have the SAF-T block. I had one of those, and it worked well.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD
    I still have one of these:

https://www.clipdraw.com/product/universal-clipdraw-for-semi-autos/

New in the package. I don't see myself using it any time soon. If you would like to try it out and see if the whole "clipdraw" thing will work for you, I'd be happy to send it to you for a test drive. Not sure I'd trust the adhesive long term, but it might be good enough for a test drive.

It works on "aircraft grade" adhesive. I think it comes with extra strips. If you want to try it before dropping $$ on the bolt on (see if that sort of carry works for you), I'll send it to you...try it out and then you can send it back (sans the strips you used, of course).

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I ONLY use the clip draw. 7-8 years going strong on a G34, 43, LCP, and 19.

Everyone here has a box full of worthless expensive holsters except me. Why? Cuz i found what works lol. Now admittedly they do sit low so you trade a little speed for comfort and conceal. Worried about a discharge cuz nothing over the guard??? I don’t consider that an issue! I’m in no rush to reholster ever!

It’s the best thing since sliced bread

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I ONLY use the clip draw. 7-8 years going strong on a G34, 43, LCP, and 19.

Everyone here has a box full of worthless expensive holsters except me. Why? Cuz i found what works lol. Now admittedly they do sit low so you trade a little speed for comfort and conceal. Worried about a discharge cuz nothing over the guard??? I don’t consider that an issue! I’m in no rush to reholster ever!

It’s the best thing since sliced bread

Thank you for that. I have the same feeling. I have no fear of my 43 going off when it is clipped to me. No rush to re holster either.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    I still have one of these:

https://www.clipdraw.com/product/universal-clipdraw-for-semi-autos/

New in the package. I don't see myself using it any time soon. If you would like to try it out and see if the whole "clipdraw" thing will work for you, I'd be happy to send it to you for a test drive. Not sure I'd trust the adhesive long term, but it might be good enough for a test drive.

It works on "aircraft grade" adhesive. I think it comes with extra strips. If you want to try it before dropping $$ on the bolt on (see if that sort of carry works for you), I'll send it to you...try it out and then you can send it back (sans the strips you used, of course).

Thank you for the generous offer Sir. I do not really want to stick something to the side of my 42. I wouldn’t trust the adhesive. Plus it may leave crap on my slide. Not sure but that would drive me nuts if it wouldn’t come off.

Zorros

Ultimate Member
    Dec 10, 2017
    Metropolis
    To each his or her own. Handgun instructor, and ccw, i am, and will say bad stuff happens no matter how careful u think you are. AD meand “ accidental” discharge. I cringe at the thought of carrying a striker fired, 5-6# trigger in my waist band, pocket or anywhere on my body with a rd chambered or if a rd is chambered, w/o a solid trigger guard. Maybe a 12# snubbie. I suspect the flames will follow and i hesitated to comment, but chambered carry w/o trigger guard is dangerous.

torched02

Rottie's Rule!
    May 6, 2013
    I tried a few variations of the clip draw on a couple different guns that I own.............nothing but junk! I would stay far away from it. I actually liked the Versa Carry system better......but I use a regular kydex appendix carry IWB when I need to be serious.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I tried a few variations of the clip draw on a couple different guns that I own.............nothing but junk! I would stay far away from it. I actually liked the Versa Carry system better......but I use a regular kydex appendix carry IWB when I need to be serious.

Why is it junk?

None of my screw have backed out
    Hundreads of rounds with zero issues of extraction or loading
    Clip draw hasn't bent forward like a lot of knife clips, making it loose

Those would be the only 3 concerns and none of mine (5 guns) have had any issues.

5cary

MDS Supporter
    Dec 30, 2007
    Sykesville, MD

The bolt on version I had was solid. Waaay more solid than any knife clip. I gave up on it over comfort. But the hardware itself was damned good.

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    I also would not advocate any holster or in this case "clip" that did not fully cover the trigger guard.

A local police agency decided to buy a few thousand holsters that partially covered the trigger. One intentional (suspect got his finger inside) and two accidental (draw strings and other items) discharges and they realized they needed to change gear. Sadly the last one caused a round to go into the officers leg.

If you are just carrying around your property get a good OWB holster either leather or kydex and pull your shirt over it. More comfortable than IWB but less concealment which isn't a problem if you are on your property. For IWB I like Alien Gear holsters.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    I also would not advocate any holster or in this case "clip" that did not fully cover the trigger guard.

A local police agency decided to buy a few thousand holsters that partially covered the trigger. One intentional (suspect got his finger inside) and two accidental (draw strings and other items) discharges and they realized they needed to change gear. Sadly the last one caused a round to go into the officers leg.

If you are just carrying around your property get a good OWB holster either leather or kydex and pull your shirt over it. More comfortable than IWB but less concealment which isn't a problem if you are on your property. For IWB I like Alien Gear holsters.

The jacket draw string discharge is going to happen anyway, guard cover or not. That’s dangerous for any IWB holster......calculated risk

The only reason the no guard cover should be an issue with the clip draw is just in case something pushes on the trigger on the outside of the pants. That issue is 90% mitigated with a belt which essentially acts as a harder cover over trigger.

People get scared cuz it's going into their pants and nothing is covering the holster but any foreign object going into the trigger guard is not a holster issue it's an attention to detail issue.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The trigger is covered by the leather belt which acts as a hard surface to prevent pressure from the trigger being pulled back by an outside object pressed against the trigger.......like a regular holster would provide

Damn you sideways pic......I’m not fixing it lol

Attachments

• C693EF8D-D7CC-49C6-88F8-EAC93769309F.jpg
      C693EF8D-D7CC-49C6-88F8-EAC93769309F.jpg
      63.9 KB · Views: 105

Name Taken

Ultimate Member
    Feb 23, 2010
    Central
    The jacket draw string discharge is going to happen anyway, guard cover or not.

The only reason the no guard cover should be an issue with the clip draw is just in case something pushes on the trigger on the outside of the pants. That issue is 90% mitigated with a belt which essentially acts as a harder cover over trigger.

People get scared cuz it's going into their pants and nothing is covering the holster but any foreign object going into the trigger guard is not a holster issue it's an attention to detail issue.

The draw string on re-holstering will happen regardless or not. These were firearms holstered where a foreign object got into the trigger guard and when the bag was moved pulled the trigger. The firearm was secured in the holster when this happened.

With my holster options the trigger is covered and while I guess a piece of dental floss or something might get in there the odds of anything else larger than that is very remote.

You'll always have risks of objects snagging the trigger on re-holstering. To have the trigger not covered in a holstered firearm is not wise from my experiences.

I'm glad the clip works for you. I wouldn't use it for several reasons including the trigger not being covered nor does it provide any real retention. Both are serious issues for myself.

StantonCree

Watch your beer
    Jan 23, 2011
    The draw string on re-holstering will happen regardless or not. These were firearms holstered where a foreign object got into the trigger guard and when the bag was moved pulled the trigger. The firearm was secured in the holster when this happened.

With my holster options the trigger is covered and while I guess a piece of dental floss or something might get in there the odds of anything else larger than that is very remote.

You'll always have risks of objects snagging the trigger on re-holstering. To have the trigger not covered in a holstered firearm is not wise from my experiences.

I'm glad the clip works for you. I wouldn't use it for several reasons including the trigger not being covered nor does it provide any real retention. Both are serious issues for myself.

The belt worn in conjunction provides the retention. You could hoist me from a crane upside down and shake and I bet I pass out or go bald before the gun falls out.

I respect you choosing whatever you choose, you're carrying it that way not me but I find your fears illegitimate.

Shoving a gun in ones waistband is kinda scary in any form and everyone has different levels of comfort, understandable, but the clip draw has served me and a ton of other regular gun toters very well. Obviously I understand I'm giving up a little speed for concealability but that works for my needs.

BradMacc82

Ultimate Member
    Industry Partner
    Aug 17, 2011
    I remember how well the Desantis Gunhide went over here. Still have it, on some occasions it's the best choice for the situation. Other times, it isn't. Same as the clipdraw.

BossmanPJ

Ultimate Member
    Feb 22, 2013
    Cecil County
    What about a belly band holster as an alternative that will still cover the trigger?

My only issue with that is that I want a clipdraw specifically to carry behind me. I find it comfortable when doing chores around my house. The OWB holster is ok but sometimes gets in the way when I am splitting wood.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rotorboater

Latest threads

Top Bottom